I've essentially got my PC into an unbootable state as a result of some sort of registry cleaning. It currently sits at a black screen after the welcome screen with just a mouse cursor for company.
I'll briefly run you through the events:
Using windows 7 x64 Ultimate
- Last night used CCleaner to clean registry and other things. This has never been done before on my PC
- Today booted up all normal and fine and after doing some browsing noticed there was no sound
- Checked device, showing all working, volume bars animating. Tried re-installing drivers. No luck.
- During this process I restarted the PC at least three times. Still booting fine.
- Decided to uninstalled LogMeIn (remote desktop software) as this caused problems once in the past. Here is where the problem might lie. I used Revo Uninstaller to nuke it, which does remove registry entries.
- Rebooted machine and noticed it would not get past windows logo when loading.
- Tried a few restarts, no luck.
- Tried safe mode and it did get to desktop.
- Restarted and tried normal mode again, did load and got to desktop but many programs failed to load and then it freezes after about 30 seconds. Complete lock up.
- Attempted system restore from just before the revo uninstall. This worked but now causes the black screen issue as previously mentioned. Can move mouse and get System Processes up but whole PC locks up after 30 seconds.
- Tried system restore to last night, and two days before. Both fail.
Anyone had anything like this before? I'm literally seeing a windows re-install as my next option.