Propper issues

Any aspects of level design for the Source engine.

Propper issues

Postby Chubaka2 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:34 pm

I know I've got a couple threads going, but I figure I will keep this one separate:

When I try and use propper in Source 2009, it will not compile. I am using the right fgd, I have the compile process set up correctly using the right propper.exe, but it will not compile. Screenshot + compile log below:

Code: Select all
** Executing...
** Command: propper.exe
** Parameters: -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ubb3r_chubaka\half-life 2 episode two\ep2" "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ubb3r_chubaka\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\maps\propper\snow_middlehouse_railing
"

Propper 0.23 by crazycarl. Adapted from vbsp.exe by Valve Software. (Jun  5 2010)
3 threads
Can't create LogFile:"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ubb3r_chubaka\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\maps\propper\snow_middlehouse_railing

.log"

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have a lot of func_details that really need to be turned into models or my map will die a painful death.
Chubaka2

Re: Propper issues

Postby Chubaka2 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:02 pm

Success! I was able to get propper to build my model, but only when running Source 2007. It's a little inconvenient though, to change engine and all just to build a model, but I'll take it over nothing.
Chubaka2

Postby crazycarl on Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:47 am

I've heard from somebody else who had the same issue. However, I can't duplicate the problem on my computer.
crazycarl
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Text_Fish on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:22 am

I had the same problem the other day when I was trying Propper out for the first time. I figured I was just following the instructions wrong, but I guess it's just another issue to arise from the OB update!
Mappers Top Tip #548
Lighting: The arrangement, hue and intensity of one or multiple light sources.
Lightning: A dazzling discharge of electric sparks in the atmosphere, often preceding thunder.
Text_Fish
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby crazycarl on Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:50 pm

The only problem I can imagine is the log file exists, and is write-protected. If you have this problem and fix it, let me know how you did it.
crazycarl
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Chubaka2 on Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:48 pm

As I said, Propper does work with 2007 for me. I set up Zombie Panic!: Source for Source 2007, added in propper.fgd from the sourcesdk/bin/source2007 folder [I thought there were only copies in ep1 and orangebox?], and set up the compile log to use the .exe from the source2007 folder as well, and it worked without any problems.

The only issue I ran into was that propper was always loading in before ZPS's .fgd, so I went into the GameConfig.txt and edited the order manually :P. It worked, although the manual ordering was not reflected in the Game Options window in Hammer, but that didn't seem to matter.
Chubaka2

Postby Gambini on Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:20 am

Hi there! Since there doesn´t seem to be a thread for Propper suggestions, i would like to take the most of this thread to ask for a new feature (i know it´s in the to-do list but i want to put some emphasis).

LOD support!

It could work just as the gibs option works. You know, creating the lod model separately and then when compiling the main model you add another entity -let´s call it propper_lod- and there you put the name of the vmf files that contain the lod models, for example:

entity: Propper_lod
lod1: Crate_lod1.vmf
lod2: Crate_lod2.vmf
lod3... etc

It only needs a smartass user to know that he only can make those lod versions using the same vmt materials and not adding a new collision model and it would be great.

And -honestly- That´s the only thing Propper needs to be the Millon Dollars Tool. Because ragdolls would be too much of a trouble to create :P

EDIT: More on topic now, i use Propper with Source Engine 2009 and it works flawlessly.
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby crazycarl on Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:54 pm

The way I want to do it is the user makes a func_brush or something in the map and it uses that for the LOD model. I'll do the same thing for gibs, bodygroups, and the collision mesh eventually. It will require me to reorganize the program somewhat, so I've put it off.

If you've been switching engine versions just to run Propper, you might want to use this simple .bat file instead.

@echo on
cd d:\Steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\
"d:\steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\propper.exe" -game "d:\Steam\SteamApps\username\portal\portal" %1
@pause

Change the paths to reflect your Steam install location and the game you are modding. Then drag/drop your .vmf file onto the .bat to get started. This has an added benefit in that the output of studiomdl shows up where it's supposed to.
crazycarl
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Chubaka2 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:04 pm

Thanks for the tip Carl, but I actually ported my map over to 2007 anyway, as that is the engine Zombie Panic!: Source is on. Propper works fine in 2007 as I said, so no issues, but if I wanted to map for 2009 again I'd have to go back to copying and pasting files into the >insert 2009 game here< folder.
Chubaka2

Postby gtamike_TSGK on Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:33 pm

Thanks for that .bat file. :smt023

I was getting this error
Propper 0.23 by crazycarl. Adapted from vbsp.exe by Valve Software. (Jun  5 2010)
4 threads
Can't create LogFile:"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\gtamike\sourcesdk_content\hl2mp\mapsrc\first_model

.log"

Game: Half Life 2 Deathmatch (source 2006 engine)
This .bat file worked fine after I draged my .vmf file on to it. :)

@echo on
cd C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\gtamike\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin
"C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\gtamike\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\propper.exe" -game "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\gtamike\half-life 2 deathmatch\hl2mp" %1
@pause

Maybe this will help others also.
gtamike
Mapper since 2007 http://gamebanana.com/members/215600
gtamike_TSGK wrote:Innovation making new ideas come to life ¦)
gtamike_TSGK
Regular
Regular

Postby mAro on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:01 am

Hello,

I seem to have run into an error that I cannot solve. I'm not sure what the hell I did wrong but I reviewed the install process and for some reason, this is the error that I'm getting. The compile log reads:

** Executing...
** Command: Ppopper.exe
** Parameters: -game "d:\steam\steamapps\decarolis01\counter-strike source\cstrike" "d:\steam\steamapps\decarolis01\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\tower_base_propper"

* Could not execute the command:
Ppopper.exe -game "d:\steam\steamapps\decarolis01\counter-strike source\cstrike" "d:\steam\steamapps\decarolis01\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\tower_base_propper"
* Windows gave the error message:
"Access is denied."

Now... I'm not sure why Window's is the one that's giving the error but perhaps someone can help me out. Thanks.
mAro
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Groxkiller585 on Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:09 am

Recently it appears for the OB on some systems Propper is simply broken in Hammer, you have to use a bat file to compile your map into a model from outside of hammer. It's somewhere on this site.
Groxkiller585
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby zombie@computer on Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:08 pm

mAro wrote:Hello,

I seem to have run into an error that I cannot solve. I'm not sure what the hell I did wrong but I reviewed the install process and for some reason, this is the error that I'm getting. The compile log reads:

** Executing...
** Command: Ppopper.exe
** Parameters: -game "d:\steam\steamapps\decarolis01\counter-strike source\cstrike" "d:\steam\steamapps\decarolis01\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\tower_base_propper"

* Could not execute the command:
Ppopper.exe -game "d:\steam\steamapps\decarolis01\counter-strike source\cstrike" "d:\steam\steamapps\decarolis01\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\tower_base_propper"
* Windows gave the error message:
"Access is denied."

Now... I'm not sure why Window's is the one that's giving the error but perhaps someone can help me out. Thanks.
try propper instead of ppopper
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby mAro on Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:20 pm

Hey!!!

I didn't even see that. That might be the issue. I'll give that a shot and report back. Thanks again!
mAro
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Nullvector on Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:12 am

crazycarl wrote:If you've been switching engine versions just to run Propper, you might want to use this simple .bat file instead.

Oh man that tip just made my life a thousand times easier. Making props for L4D and Alien Swarm was such a headache but now its a breeze. Cheers mate!
Nullvector

Next

Return to Hammer Editor Help