Detail Sprites

Tutorial collection, comprehensive listings on main site.

Re: Detail Sprites

Postby Leon_Kilean on Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:17 pm

Counting the detail sprite´s positions on the sheet has always been a fairly mysterious process to me, especially in the case of doing more unorthodox sheets, full of misaligned crap. This is how I tend to get the right values tho, from anywhere, anysize, in the sheet image:

Leon_Kilean

Postby hiyougami on Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:40 am

Lovely tutorial, thank you! ^^
o.o Gosh, that IS one tangled motherfucker.
hiyougami
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby MayheM on Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:53 pm

Can I just tell you.... YOU ARE THE "F"ing Man For making this!!! I have wanted to make my own details forever and could not find a clear tutorial that explains it well. I am so doing this for the map I am working on.
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby whiffen on Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:30 pm

Glad I was able to help and make it clear. I think I made this pretty late at night when I was bored so I'm glad it didn't come out as incomprehensible dribble. Let me know if you have any questions :d
whiffen
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Jangalomph on Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:12 am

What does this error have to deal with?

The thing are all stacked up. I think it has to do with these numbers.. "sprite" "0 0 750 950 2048"

Code: Select all
detail
{

jang_1
   //for Sabotage
   {
      "density" "5000.0"

Group1
      {
         "alpha" "0"
         Grass1
         // Position 5 in sheet
         {
            "sprite" "0 0 750 950 2048"
            "spritesize" "0.5 0.0 38 64"
            "spriterandomscale" "0.2"
            "amount" "0.1"
            "detailOrientation" "2"
            "sway" "0.5"
         }

Grass2
         // Position 1 in sheet
         {
            "sprite" "750 0 600 950 2048"
            "spriterandomscale" "0.2"
            "amount" "0.01"
            "detailOrientation" "2"
            "sway" "0.5"
         }

Grass3
         // Position 2 in sheet
         {
            "sprite" "1450 0 520 950 2048"
            "spriterandomscale" "0.3"
            "amount" "0.1"
            "detailOrientation" "2"
            "sway" "0.5"
         }

Grass4
         // Position 4 in sheet
         {
            "sprite" "750 950 600 1970 2048"
            "amount" "0.1"
            "detailOrientation" "2"
            "sway" "0.5"
         }

Fern
         // Position 3 in sheet
         {
            "sprite" "0 950 750 1970 2048"
            "amount" "0.05"
            "detailOrientation" "2"
            "sway" "0.5"
         }
      }

Group2
      {

"alpha" "1"
      }
   }
}
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby whiffen on Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:01 am

For Grass 4 and the Fern you have put 1970 pixels as the height. This extends beyond the boundary of the texture and like in pac man it will reach back up to the top. Thats why it looks like your stacking plants on the plants. If you meant to select just to the bottom of the texture than 1350 should work.

Also make sure my example looks like whats on your sprite sheet, as the values I entered to make this picture are the same as you have put in the vbsp.

Looks good other than that, the other sprites are not overlapping each other so I'm sure its just that height issue in the last two thats causing the problem.

Lastly, not that its any of my business, but 2046 is a pretty huge texture for 5 sprites that get downsized to like 1% of that size :d
whiffen
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Jangalomph on Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:33 am

Well my friend SS DOOMTROOPER made these sprites and he did the "sprite" part for me.. so i'll let him look at this post. And we just wanted high res sprites :D!
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby whiffen on Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:44 am

Use 1098 instead. Not 1350 like I said before. I was looking at the picture and realized that there is no way 1350 could be right, that would be more than half the height of the texture. I eyeballed it when I got that number.

2048 - 950 = 1098. So that should work. I was dum and looked at 750 as being the height of the black square, not 950. However my pictures proportions are still correct, just not labelled correctly :)
whiffen
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Gary on Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:51 am

Don't you have to use power-of-two sizes?
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby whiffen on Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:08 am

Nope, the texture has to be a power of two but you can select any parts from its insides :)
whiffen
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby SS DOOMTROOPER on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:16 am

whiffen wrote:Use 1098 instead. Not 1350 like I said before. I was looking at the picture and realized that there is no way 1350 could be right, that would be more than half the height of the texture. I eyeballed it when I got that number.

2048 - 950 = 1098. So that should work. I was dum and looked at 750 as being the height of the black square, not 950. However my pictures proportions are still correct, just not labelled correctly :)

Thanks a bunch man, I was scared I screwed something up in the texture itself since that was my first time doing it.
SS DOOMTROOPER
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby raphu604 on Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:17 am

I've completely understood the whole tutorial and this system. Now, something worse: where can I find/how do I create custom sprite textures? Do I have to go outside in the forests and take pictures of plants? (-.-) Or is there a way to draw them or create them with photoshop? Or are there sprites in the internet? I just couldn't find anything useful on google.
Can someone please help me, my head is about to explode... so much information after this tutorial and then THIS... errrrrr XD
raphu604
Just Joined
Just Joined

Postby whiffen on Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:07 am

Yeah that was my problem as well. Lots of birds eye view pictures of plants, but not many of plant and grass profiles.

I haven't found a very good resource for this yet, but I know they are out there. I was considering going out taking pictures of the foliage around me, perhaps carrying a white blanket and ripping up some of the grasses and ling them on the blanket so that it would be easier to cut out the plant from a solid white background than one full of vegetation. If its snowing there that is also a nice white canvas xD

whiffen
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby MayheM on Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:30 pm

So after two days of messing with this I finally got it working. I do have one question though...
How expensive are these? My plan was to have a very high density grass but I saw a BIG frame drop. I figured they would be low as far as impact to frame rate, but I am I wrong?
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jangalomph on Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:35 pm

Well i think each single detail sprite renders as 2 triangles, so just add that together and it could be quite a bit at a time on screen.
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials