More Steam additions

Comment on the news articles here.

Re: More Steam additions

Postby no00dylan on Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:02 am

I dunno why that video makes me laugh. But it does. It's like they're really issuing a challenge to hackers and then talking smack. "You will not be able to steal his account!'
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby cpl. punishment on Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:06 am

Reminds me of the identity theft protection commercials where they published the guy's social security number, after which people stole the guy's identity.
cpl. punishment
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby .treeturtle-- on Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:53 am

i was content with steam two years ago...
turtle
.treeturtle--
Regular
Regular

Postby poisonic on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:42 pm

hmm im a bit sceptic so this is the next thing to trace people down? i remember an old discussion of 1997 when intel had plans to make an unique ID per cpu ... Back then for privacy reasons people hated the idea that they could be traced back by the CPU-ID....
the problem with tracing people down is that they can change their IP(proxy surfing) and mac Adress(by changing the network card)
A CPU ID number does not lie
Do you need to register this CPU when you buy it?? so that they know its you ??
i think the most problems of phishing are caused by the cheese like structure of windows and the spyware ....
[img:400]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/poisonic.png[/img]
poisonic
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Dr. Delta on Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:44 pm

"IPT generates a new numerical password every 30 seconds, integrating into the processor functionality that previously required a separate card or key fob."

Why not release a dongle/device for extra security kinda like Blizzard does?
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Mr. Happy on Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:57 pm

I know I wouldn't want to carry around a dongle for steam security. By using the processor technology valve can give extra security without having to charge you any money, and without inconveniencing you in any way (except of course if you lock your steam account to a computer and then that computer dies or you are out of town or something and forget your password, which I know will happen to me).
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Dr. Delta on Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:11 am

Mr. Happy wrote:I know I wouldn't want to carry around a dongle for steam security. By using the processor technology valve can give extra security without having to charge you any money, and without inconveniencing you in any way (except of course if you lock your steam account to a computer and then that computer dies or you are out of town or something and forget your password, which I know will happen to me).

I'd like the extra security of a hardware device for my steam account, I don't prefer logging in onto other people their computers at all, I don't know how well they protect their pc's and if my account would get hacked I'd die on the inside and not forgive myself for it for quite a while.
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Dr. Delta on Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:38 am

poisonic wrote:hmm im a bit sceptic so this is the next thing to trace people down? i remember an old discussion of 1997 when intel had plans to make an unique ID per cpu ... Back then for privacy reasons people hated the idea that they could be traced back by the CPU-ID....
the problem with tracing people down is that they can change their IP(proxy surfing) and mac Adress(by changing the network card)
A CPU ID number does not lie
Do you need to register this CPU when you buy it?? so that they know its you ??
i think the most problems of phishing are caused by the cheese like structure of windows and the spyware ....

cpu id spoofing? ;)
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Previous

Return to Site News