Salutations!

New to the community? Give us a big wave.

Salutations!

Postby InuiTakumi23 on Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:55 pm

Hello everyone! I'm InuiTakumi23 and I am brand-spanking new to this industry. I've always wanted to be in animation, but I decided to go to school in Architecture instead since I also found that interesting. I now have my Bachelors in Architecture, but I still feel like my path is going more towards game design, more specifically Level Design. I have used programs like 3ds Max before, but Im more used to programs like CAD. But I figure that since I know how to design buildings, It will be a good transition for me. So basically, I just made a major career change recently and Im sort of starting afresh. I know that I need to get involved in the modding community, and I have been doing research. Im still figuring out if I want to do a mod for HL2 or do something in Unreal. but I guess since I have HL2, I should go with that.

Sorry for the long-winded intro. Just thought Id explain why Im here. Im basically here to learn as much as I can from everyone here and be a part of the community. So I look forward to talkin to everyone here and am excited to be here.

PEACE!
InuiTakumi23
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: Salutations!

Postby LordDz on Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:52 pm

I think you should go for Unreal, since it's a a newer engine.
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby BubbleQ on Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:16 pm

LordDz wrote:I think you should go for Unreal, since it's a a newer engine.

Source has more soul, not just... props and fancy normal/bump map textures :lol:

Anyway! Welcome to interlopers!
Pretty good thing you got knowledge of modelingprogram before you enter hammer imo^^ Or that is how I personaly would like to start off.
---------------------------------
I am a happy mapper!
Archlinux
BubbleQ
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby InuiTakumi23 on Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:07 am

I thought about that, and this is a noob question for sure, but I do need a game that uses Unreal in order to start modding with it, right? Im not the biggest PC gamer, and I have HL2 because of the Orange Box. Can I still mess with Unreal either way? I mean, I only have experience with Unreal 2 runtime as far as game engines go, and that was just a cursory overview of how it worked.

BubbleQ wrote:

Source has more soul, not just... props and fancy normal/bump map textures :lol:

Anyway! Welcome to interlopers!
Pretty good thing you got knowledge of modelingprogram before you enter hammer imo^^ Or that is how I personaly would like to start off.

Yeh, I know some of 3ds max, but im barely a novice at it. Gotta roll up my sleeves and get to working on it. Thanks for welcoming me!

This site is pretty big, along with soo many other sites. Do you have any suggestions as far as articles/books go that are legit and will help me gain more info on Level Design, whether its on a conceptual level or technical, or a mix?
InuiTakumi23
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Mr. Happy on Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:23 am

Welcome! I don't really think you need books to learn this stuff, but if you were going to get one to teach you the conceptual base of level design you should get Hourences book, "the hows and whys of level design." It's a great introduction to level design as a craft and how you should think about level design, and plan your projects, and whatnot.

You don't need an Unreal game to start modding with it, you can get UDK for free which is your best bet for resume/experience and will do you fine for learning how level design works, for building architecture, lighting, etc. But the most important thing is creating fun right? so if you have the orange box and like those games you might as well start with source. If you use UDK you are highly constrained in that you will need to invent gameplay. It may be better to start by making an HL2 or TF2 level, that way you can use Valve's assets, enemies, weapons, etc. But then again I'm a source nut :)
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Return to Introduction Time