New Rig Feedback.

PC related discussion and other issues.

Re: New Rig Feedback.

Postby stoopdapoop on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:36 pm

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:So I am standing inside Fry's Electronics looking at all the cool stuf they have on the walls. I am fairly new to building computers but I think everything will work out alright. The wall of motherboards looks intimidating at first glance, lol.

I have a question though: why do all the desktop cases look like they were ripped out of a retarded sci-fi expo? They all look blocky, obnoxious, plastic, and stupid. Why can't I find a single case here that looks cool, sleek and awesome? And kind of small?

Also, is an ASUS GTX560Ti decent for a video card? Will I be able to run two monitors with it? Thanks!!

depends on what you mean when you say "run" two monitors. It has two outputs, so you can run a dual desktop setup just fine, but you're not going to be able to run any recent games at respectable resolutions with it if you're using both monitors for the game. But it's a good card for the price, yeah.

And riced up cases are dumb, but they sell I guess. If you like the way to Antec Sonata Series cases look, then I'd say you should get one of them, they're well built, and are well worth their (low-ish) price.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gary on Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:39 am

Current Rig:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ (Brisbane, BH-G2)
2700 MHz (13.50x200.0) @ 2712 MHz (13.50x200.9)
Motherboard: ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus
Memory: 3072 MBytes @ 387 MHz, 6.0-6-6-18
- 2048 MB PC6400 DDR2-SDRAM - Kingston 99U5429-007.A00LF
- 1024 MB PC6400 DDR2-SDRAM - Kingston 9905429-005.A01LF
Graphics: ATI RADEON HD 5770 (JUNIPER XT), 1024 MB GDDR5 SDRAM
Sound: nVIDIA MCP61 - High Definition Audio Controller

Do you guys think I need an upgrade? I mean, I'm still running on a 32bit.

I've been looking at this stuff:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103809
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813157176
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820104203

Yeah, I'm a cheap bastard :(
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby MayheM on Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:24 pm

My buddy and I both wanted to build MONSTER machines so we planned it all out and ordered all the parts. He went as far as to make a website detailing the entire build and it's progress. He has finished his already the last of my parts arrive today and I will be putting it together over next weekend. click the link below to see the site and specs...

http://www.5gpus.com/build.html

It was not cheap, not even close... but it will last me a long damn time.
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:25 pm

that rig looks beefy
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Kosire on Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:17 pm

MayheM wrote:My buddy and I both wanted to build MONSTER machines so we planned it all out and ordered all the parts. He went as far as to make a website detailing the entire build and it's progress. He has finished his already the last of my parts arrive today and I will be putting it together over next weekend. click the link below to see the site and specs...

http://www.5gpus.com/build.html

It was not cheap, not even close... but it will last me a long damn time.

ha, I did the same thing a month ago.

http://kosire.dk/pc

I'm gonna upgrade my gpu soon, It's prob. gonna be a asus 580 since kepler just got delayed till next year in may.

If I should comment anything on that rig there it would be the gpu, bad choice to buy a dual-gpu.
Why? Not alot of games support dual gpus with serious performance and you buy 2 underclocked gpus in 1 card.
And the fact that he/you bought two of them, that's just silly since when you go SLI you pay 100% for a card that gives 30%-40% of the performance it can single gpu-wise.

And a 480gtx for physx is overkill, way overkill. But I guess thats the point of that whole rig..
If you wanted even more overkill you should have bought 2 xeons on a dual cpu motherboard, and yes xeons perform just fine in gaming.

Also, 2 psu's? Have fun with the electrial bill :D
Kosire
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby MayheM on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:12 pm

The 480 for physics is because I already had that card. Yeah it is overkill for sure, but I might as well use it...

As for the 2 PSU's I did that so the two 590's will run off one and the cpus, 480 and all other components will run off the other. Since the PSUs are modular they will not really use all 2400 watts.

I went with that motherboard and cpu because it is really easy to overclock. The cpu running at 5.4 had a temp of 40 degrees C. and since it is quad core hyper-threaded it is 8 virtual cores running at 5+ GHz... I think I will be cool with that.

As for getting two 590s as opposed to two 580s it ended up being a 300 dollar price difference. I did the math and it made more sense for me to get the two 590's. As for many games not supporting dual gpu's, I build with foresight. As fast as technology is updated I think it is silly to build something that will only run games that are currently out. If you do that you will be upgrading your machine every time a game comes out that pushes the system limits. Besides all the games i want to play will utilize the setup. (Battlefield 3 is at the top of that list) But as you said, the point of this rig was to build something that was crazy. It is something that when it is all said and done will play anything I want it to and run everything 100% and last a good long while...
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gary on Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:01 am

If I have oem windows 7 32bit, can I get a 64bit copy and use my old key?

I'm gonna be pissed if I have to spend a hundred bucks for a 64bit copy of the same os version.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby cz_squishy on Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:13 am

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=23907868
Going to order this soon I hope
Going to get some of the stuff cheaper ($85 for the H70) plus rebates!
First build
cz_squishy
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:12 pm

I found a pretty incredible resource for browsing computer parts. It is full of information on many components. What do you guys think? (photobucket image - very large image - may take a few moments to load)

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af150/The_FalconO6/CurrentLogicalPCBuyingGuide/Guide.png
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MayheM on Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:20 pm

Gary wrote:If I have oem windows 7 32bit, can I get a 64bit copy and use my old key?

I'm gonna be pissed if I have to spend a hundred bucks for a 64bit copy of the same os version.

Well... Maybe. I have a 64bit version key but used it for a 32bit install and it worked fine. One would assume the opposite would work as well. If you have an extra HDD sitting around, do a test install and see if it works.

Just out of curiosity, why did you get 32 bit in the first place? Was is driver related?
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nub on Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:01 am

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:I found a pretty incredible resource for browsing computer parts. It is full of information on many components. What do you guys think? (photobucket image - very large image - may take a few moments to load)

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af150/The_FalconO6/CurrentLogicalPCBuyingGuide/Guide.png

That's an awesome guide.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby cz_squishy on Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:58 am

cz_squishy
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Gary on Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:29 am

MayheM wrote:Well... Maybe. I have a 64bit version key but used it for a 32bit install and it worked fine. One would assume the opposite would work as well. If you have an extra HDD sitting around, do a test install and see if it works.

I'll have to find a download or get a disc from a friend first. If I did get 64bit hardware, could I install a 32bit OS until I get a 64bit key(just in case)?

MayheM wrote:Just out of curiosity, why did you get 32 bit in the first place? Was is driver related?

My CPU was 32bit.

I'm really considering upgrading(CPU,Mobo and RAM), I mean, my computer doesn't even compare to the EPIC developers specs and it seems even if I don't use the UDK, most toolsets want a lot of power.

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Smurftyours on Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:05 am

Is it me or did corsair just ship the 600t with a side panel that has places for four 120mm fans? If so then I am getting that when I get my rig tomorrow.
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby Gary on Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:29 am

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz with 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache[$130- 5stars with 1,756votes]

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB(2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1066(PC3 8500)[$45- 5stars with 114votes]

MoBo: ASRock M3A770DE 770 ATX AMD Motherboard[$60- 4stars with 341votes ]

Total: ~$235

Though, I do have a few questions:

1. The CPU and Mobo are compatible right? They have the same slot and everything, but stuff like the HyperTransport speeds are different.
2. I really feel like I'm being too cheap on the mobo, what do you guys think?
3. I have a 500Watt power supply and an ATI 5770HD, the CPU here looks to use quite a bit of power(125W), will my 500watt be able to support that? Should I get a new one?

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware & Software