Re: Counter Strike: Global Offensive Info Incoming

Postby source-maps on Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:25 am

lol at you guys for expecting awesome graphics ^^
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:34 pm

I dont like the looks but it is really too early to pass judgement. i dont know why they feel confident enough to release a trailer yet though...

it just feels like Valve is arriving REALLY late to the military shooter scene. Team Fortress 2 is very successful and that's great......but it feels like no amount of polish is going to make CS compete with BF or COD, not to mention any of the smaller fish. And the introduction of console players to the mix is gonna be tough to balance IMO.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby SotaPoika on Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:32 pm

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:I dont like the looks but it is really too early to pass judgement. i dont know why they feel confident enough to release a trailer yet though...

it just feels like Valve is arriving REALLY late to the military shooter scene. Team Fortress 2 is very successful and that's great......but it feels like no amount of polish is going to make CS compete with BF or COD, not to mention any of the smaller fish. And the introduction of console players to the mix is gonna be tough to balance IMO.

What do you mean "late"? You mean this Modern Warfare -era with BC and CoDs?

CS:GO will be the game that really makes you use skills to get some proper points. No flying craft shooting you, no tanks to snipe you from distance or anything. In BC and CoD you spawn almost immediatly (or very soon at least and always with the guns you chose), basically taking the whole tactical-feel totally away. In CS, you gotta survive the round and do your best to have some cash to get better guns and survive next round better. Foolish behaviour, like rushing straight to enemy to get one kill and die, as a harrassment move, just makes you wait the whole round in spec mode and give you time thinking what went wrong. In BC/CoD, you just get few seconds to wait, choose what guns to use next and do it again. Reason they're called ADHD -games by many and are in favor of younger audience (despite they're rated M usually).

I have all CoD's from Modern Warfare. I also have Bad Company 2. Both have less gameplay hours in total than what I have in CS and CS: Source in each individually. I just enjoy CS more..
* Portfolio: http://sp0n3.carbonmade.com/
* No More Room In Hell - Level Designer
* Zombie Panic! Source - Level Designer
SotaPoika
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Text_Fish on Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Personally I don't see this as a contender to BF or COD. BF's all about the large scale vehicular action and COD may provide some fun deathmatch action but teamplay has never really been its strong suit. All three of them may feature contemporary (or near-future) settings but I'd say in terms of gameplay (which really matters) they're as far removed from one another as Hexen and Halo.
Mappers Top Tip #548
Lighting: The arrangement, hue and intensity of one or multiple light sources.
Lightning: A dazzling discharge of electric sparks in the atmosphere, often preceding thunder.
Text_Fish
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby nub on Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:22 pm

I really hope they don't intend on recycling a bunch of shit from L4D. Aztec and Dust looked pretty nice (though the Youtube compression gets in the way of observation), but some of the guns looked pretty ugly in my opinion. I dunno what it is with Valve and weapon models, but they always tend to make guns look really weird for some reason. But honestly, I welcome anything other than the original Source models. If this game feels like CSS while looking overall better, I can't complain.

And for the love of fucking god, I hope they make it as moddable as Source is. The fact that it's on the L4D engine makes me think that not even skins will be feasible. The cross-platform play also makes me worry. I hope it doesn't interfere with those who only want to play with other PC gamers instead of having to deal with console players. I imagine that the console version will only have match-making, which leads me to believe they will only get access to the "competitive" part of the game (unless Valve intends on making a match-making system for casual mode). I've never seen a console game with a server browser built in.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:06 pm

@sotapoika: i am definitely agreeing with you. COD's arcade style (waste your life, you instantly respawn) bullshit combat doesn't support teamwork and BF's whole spawn system (spawning 3 teammates out of thin air during a 1v1 firefight is bullshit) make it somewhat difficult to like them. When I play one of those games, i go straight to the hardcore modes and the objective-based missions like Search and Destroy, Headquarters, or Squad Rush. I can't really get into deathmatch unless the teams and maps are pretty small to promote teamwork.

I also have to say that I never really got into CS because I'm just not LEET enough, and there are a lot of young dickheads online that I don't want to listen to. But I enjoy the tactical feel of the gameplay and I'll be trying this out when the chance comes.

Oh, and I did mean that Valve is arriving late the the current military shooter scene. I know that they are the one swho pretty much SPAWNED the entire military shooter. :) It's just that I think it will be tough for CS to break through unless the modding is heavily supported...i dunno...
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Generalvivi on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:12 pm

I'm def super excited! Can't wait! It looks like they have sorta... adapted FY maps as a normal mode? <-- awesome
Generalvivi
Irrational Games

Postby Gary on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:37 pm

I can't stand a system where when you die all you can do is watch everyone else have fun.

MW2/Halo/BF's graphics/assets look better, hopefully CSGO will be polished a lot more then it is now.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby darkpivot on Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:26 pm

Joe, the problem you're having with CS is because you're playing on public servers. Seriously, all public servers are terribly modded or are full of hackers (or both). It's really not fun unless you're playing with people you know.
darkpivot
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:14 pm

i need to get into those Shitty Maps sessions
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Naticus on Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:14 pm

Get your maps ready... There will be mod support for CS:GO!!!

Here is a Gamespot interview with Chet Faliszek:
(Skip to 6:40 if you only care about the mod info)

Naticus
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Chrille on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:16 pm

"We looked at the maps that people no longer play ... de_dust"

What?

Also, I really dig the 70's haircut on the interviewer.
Chrille
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:01 pm

Steam Message wrote:Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Authoring Tools launching...

FFUUUUUU--
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby cpl. punishment on Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:37 pm

I wish they'd use the same approach and update Day of Defeat.
cpl. punishment
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Gradius on Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:19 pm

I realise we're not going to get Battlefield 3 quality models but the characters really are so very very undetailed. Low polygon, super low texture size.
http://www.interlopers.net/images/news/ ... nshot7.jpg
Gradius
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Previous

Return to Site News