Memory speed question

PC related discussion and other issues.

Memory speed question

Postby MELVIn on Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:11 am

So here's probably a quick one for you lot that's more experienced with RAM than me.

I've got two sets of DDR2 rams sitting here.
One setup is in my machine right now. It's four 667MHz 1GB sticks, running in Dual Channel Interleaved.
The other set is on my desk, it's a missmatch of sticks, a 1GB, a 2GB, and two 512MB sticks, all at 800MHz.
The second set obviously won't run in Dual Channel, and that's where you guys come in.

Which would be faster? a 667MHz setup in Dual Channel Interleaved, or the 800MHz setup?
Is it all just simple math, where each dual channel on the motherboard would run both pairs of the 667MHz sticks at 1334MHz, thus making that setup faster, or is there more to it?
Interlopers.net steam-chat.
Come on in and ask all your level-design questions, or discuss games.
MELVIn
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Re: Memory speed question

Postby Ale on Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:04 am

I would choose setup 1, though the difference in speed is hardly noticable as frequencies does nothing towars applications users use on this site.
Ale
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby stoopdapoop on Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:17 am

Ale is right (who were you before your name change? I remember your avatar and signature, but can't assign a name to it)

neither ram frequency or even the dual channeled-ness really matters in the real world though. But fewer sticks is better in my book.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Ale on Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:43 am

Old name on here was dreaz. That name was kinda old from when in teenage years 'z' and 'x' in your internet persona was super cool n hip. I'd much rather pay tribute to my favorite beverage 8)
Ale
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Return to Hardware & Software