The Never to be Finished Map Pimpage Thread!

Reveal what you have made so far and get feedback on development.

Re: The Never to be Finished Map Pimpage Thread!

Postby Valar on Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:03 pm

L4d2 won't run on this laptop so i can't post screens. This is a WIP vid i made my unfinished Versus campaign a year ago
Valar
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby PuLSaR on Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:33 am

some screenshots of a quake 4 map. the source of it was seriously damaged due to HDD crash

PuLSaR

Postby Jangalomph on Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:00 pm

@ danish, you never woulda finished the sniper any ways.

@Dark - Sorry, but I don't have a sufficient team :P
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby bitPanther on Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:41 am

latest screen of a project with little purpose, im thinking of dumping this entirely, however i do have the geometry finished, so i may as well keep going
bitPanther
Regular
Regular

Postby Ich 666 on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:08 pm

darkpivot wrote:
jangalomph wrote:I'll probably end up releasing all of my sabotage maps, that mod will never be finished.

*Manly tear*

:(
Ich 666
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby TicTac on Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:36 am

Not sure if I already posted this, but my portal1 map pack is definitely not getting finished. Bit off way more than I could chew, lost enthusiasm towards the tail end, eventually working on it became a chore instead of a pleasure.
Oh well, live and learn.
Competent Level Designer, 3D Artist.
I don't really look like my avatar
TicTac
Veteran
Veteran

Postby LordDz on Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:33 am

You should let someone else finish it then.
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Armageddon on Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:35 am

I heard someone likes Portal... A lot...
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby TicTac on Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:23 pm

I'll check if I still have the vmf files. If I do, I'll gladly package and post them here. The levels are largely complete, they would just need some bug fixes, playtests, and a little bit of polish. I never really planned an ending, so after the final puzzle the player gets dropped into this empty room, complete with a broken elevator and some partially-working sound effects.

Do you guys want me to post it?
TicTac
Veteran
Veteran

Postby LiamFarley1998 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:07 pm

I don't lose maps, I basically only test and test and test, Im like chells mapping counterpart, never really do anything meaningful, but test. I have some many maps testing dynamic lighting, dof blur, ssao framerates. God that stuff took tons of time up for just about no reward.
LiamFarley1998
Regular
Regular

Postby Stormy on Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:50 pm

Hopefully the reward is you know stuff about hammer that a lot of people don't, and you have a few maps that may be half done but they have shmexy effects on them. You'd be a valuable mod member just for that niche expertise. A lot of mappers can map stuff out but are just lacking that artistic or technical spark to make a good map great.

Regardless, techxploration maps are every bit as interesting (if not more so) than level maps I think, you should post something and let the lopers decide how bad it is.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby SotaPoika on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:08 pm

LiamFarley1998 wrote:I don't lose maps, I basically only test and test and test, Im like chells mapping counterpart, never really do anything meaningful, but test. I have some many maps testing dynamic lighting, dof blur, ssao framerates. God that stuff took tons of time up for just about no reward.

Sounds like what I did first 2-3 years of mapping.. mainly just testing different smaller things and how different styles of mapping looks like. I only had released few smaller fy_ maps for CSS (mostly because I had school and friends taking so much time and slow PC, so I could only compile smaller maps in short time). Then I got new PC, I joined (new)NMRiH team and started building huge maps.
* Portfolio: http://sp0n3.carbonmade.com/
* No More Room In Hell - Level Designer
* Zombie Panic! Source - Level Designer
SotaPoika
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby LordDz on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:53 pm

TicTac wrote:I'll check if I still have the vmf files. If I do, I'll gladly package and post them here. The levels are largely complete, they would just need some bug fixes, playtests, and a little bit of polish. I never really planned an ending, so after the final puzzle the player gets dropped into this empty room, complete with a broken elevator and some partially-working sound effects.

Do you guys want me to post it?

While I probably won't have time to do it, it sounds like it could be fixed quite fast.
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby TicTac on Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:48 pm

I think someone could get all the bugs worked out in a day. If they ditch the shitty ending area I started and leave it as just a bunch of tests, they could release it pretty quickly.

The puzzles in it, btw, are not terrifically difficult
TicTac
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Epifire on Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:50 pm

Well this is a old idea that never went anywhere because I was to new to Source at the time to know how to really build some thing to run as a mod. Never the less I may take it up again some day, when I can also add some other custom assets that were needed to continue this mod. It was supposed to be a side mission in the HL 2 storyline about two to three weeks before Gordon Freeman makes his comes back in HL 2.

This was the first map, purely designed as an introduction, as the player rides through a cart to the old factory. I only got as far as the loading bay, and then I was going to have a map transition. That is where I stopped.

Looking back at the starting room...

This is when I was learning displacements too (seen in the hillside).

Other pics, when nearing the factory building...

Inside the loading bay...

You can see I relied on darkness, but it also made it lack detail in some cases. There are also some other things noted like, some missing buildings that needed to be off in the distance and so on. Thats it for now, and some day when I can refine my skills this may present itself once again.
Epifire

PreviousNext

Return to Under Construction