Call of Duty: MW3

Game discussion and other related chat.

Re: Call of Duty: MW3

Postby Dives on Tue May 24, 2011 6:48 am

stoopdapoop wrote:

It might be a fairly different feeling game from MW2 considering its being developed by Sledgehammer Games. I'm hoping for a sensical story this time.
Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Plague on Tue May 24, 2011 7:28 am

Actually the SP is being co-developed by IW and Sledgehammer.
The MP is co-developed by IW and Raven Software.

IW obviously needed the extra man power considering their loss.
Has a little bit of everyone in there :D
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dark0r on Tue May 24, 2011 8:40 am

What is this modelling atrocity?

http://screencast.com/t/wREiVjeHRbwN
dark0r
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby acid on Tue May 24, 2011 10:49 am

Plague wrote:Actually the SP is being co-developed by IW and Sledgehammer.
The MP is co-developed by IW and Raven Software.

IW obviously needed the extra man power considering their loss.
Has a little bit of everyone in there :D

Sledgehammer was thrown together by AV two months before MW2 was released, weren't they? As far as I've seen they never released a game and none of their developers come from a well-known studio - they seem to be an appendix to IW to help them with mundane tasks.

Anyways, the writing just has got to be different. Of the 8 writers IW had, 7 jumped the ship and joined respawn.
acid

Postby Plague on Tue May 24, 2011 3:24 pm

acid wrote:Sledgehammer was thrown together by AV two months before MW2 was released, weren't they? As far as I've seen they never released a game and none of their developers come from a well-known studio - they seem to be an appendix to IW to help them with mundane tasks.

Sledgehammer was created in 2009, from the jop postings they seemed to be in the process of making their own CoD game.
But with the loss of manpower at IW they were brought in to work on MW3.

But really I'm just making logical speculation, they could have also been tasked on MW3 from the beginning.

Really this game is a show of how well ActBliz can handle such a loss, with their obviously heavy hitter game still making its release date with the help of two other developers.
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jordash on Wed May 25, 2011 2:37 am

Two of the lead designers of Dead Space founded Sledgehammer, so they can't be all that bad
Jordash
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Wed May 25, 2011 3:39 pm

dark0r wrote:What is this modelling atrocity?

I lol'd, good catch.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sathor on Thu May 26, 2011 7:29 am

I love it. I'll buy it and switch to l337 in interlopers chat while playing it. Just for the sake of it.
Sathor

Postby Morten1337 on Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:21 pm

Morten1337
Regular
Regular

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:37 pm

Sure Call of Duty is really fun and stuff but godammit i just wish they would make BIGGER MAPS. I hate the small cramped arenas. I have been playing Bad Company 2 lately and WOW it is just a much stronger experience IMO when it comes to tactical assaults and huge epic battlefields. There's this one map that is literally 2 miles long and has a bunch of enormous wind turbines in it, and the gunfights literally span across hundreds of meters.

Sigh...to have the swift snappy control system of COD merge with the giant-sized battlefields and broad scope of BF...it would be th eperfect game. I can only presume that BF3 will be the closest to that perfect answer, since COD doesnt seem like it is innovating enough or making the large maps I want.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nub on Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:19 pm

Why does the music they used in that trailer sound so much like the BF3 trailers? You know, the really distorted synths.

dark0r wrote:What is this modelling atrocity?

The barrel on the grenade launcher attachment looks fuckin weird too.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby cz_squishy on Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:01 am

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:Sure Call of Duty is really fun and stuff but godammit i just wish they would make BIGGER MAPS. I hate the small cramped arenas. I have been playing Bad Company 2 lately and WOW it is just a much stronger experience IMO when it comes to tactical assaults and huge epic battlefields. There's this one map that is literally 2 miles long and has a bunch of enormous wind turbines in it, and the gunfights literally span across hundreds of meters.

Sigh...to have the swift snappy control system of COD merge with the giant-sized battlefields and broad scope of BF...it would be th eperfect game. I can only presume that BF3 will be the closest to that perfect answer, since COD doesnt seem like it is innovating enough or making the large maps I want.

If you want large maps in CoD, play Call of Duty United Offensive
cz_squishy
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby ThePain on Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:32 pm

Old thread, but might as well reply anyway.

The magazine with no bullets on it was long ago cleared up as an early alpha-stage art asset. All the scenes taken from that video are from a much earlier build (January / February) so there will be rough edges here and there.

I'd like to ask why Black Ops was a bad game. I've never gotten a straight answer since the day it released. It received amazing praise from almost every journalist to review it, and sales alone were record-breaking.

Every time I ask someone why it's bad I hear "It just is!" or "The gameplay blows" When I ask what about the gameplay is bad I just get a vague "You know... man... I didn't like it. It sucked bro". Not once has anyone ever given me a solid reason why they didn't like it. Honestly the only reoccurring reason I've seen as to why people don't like it is this empty band-wagon hatred for the Call of Duty series so they'll appear edgy if they don't like things that are mainstream.

So other than for Hipster cred, can anyone give a single thought out reason why they didn't like Black Ops?

*edit*

Quick addendum. If you're not into modern shooters that's one thing. You can not like a game based on genre or time period, but that does not make it a bad game. I'm terrible at Civ games. Hell I lose on easy at that game. I don't say the Civ series is a shitty game not worth the disc it was printed on because It's not. It's a very well made great game, but it's just not my thing.
It's quite simple really. I want to be a professional level designer. I want this to be my job.
ThePain
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby SotaPoika on Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:14 pm

ThePain wrote:Old thread, but might as well reply anyway.

The magazine with no bullets on it was long ago cleared up as an early alpha-stage art asset. All the scenes taken from that video are from a much earlier build (January / February) so there will be rough edges here and there.

I'd like to ask why Black Ops was a bad game. I've never gotten a straight answer since the day it released. It received amazing praise from almost every journalist to review it, and sales alone were record-breaking.

Every time I ask someone why it's bad I hear "It just is!" or "The gameplay blows" When I ask what about the gameplay is bad I just get a vague "You know... man... I didn't like it. It sucked bro". Not once has anyone ever given me a solid reason why they didn't like it. Honestly the only reoccurring reason I've seen as to why people don't like it is this empty band-wagon hatred for the Call of Duty series so they'll appear edgy if they don't like things that are mainstream.

So other than for Hipster cred, can anyone give a single thought out reason why they didn't like Black Ops?

*edit*

Quick addendum. If you're not into modern shooters that's one thing. You can not like a game based on genre or time period, but that does not make it a bad game. I'm terrible at Civ games. Hell I lose on easy at that game. I don't say the Civ series is a shitty game not worth the disc it was printed on because It's not. It's a very well made great game, but it's just not my thing.

Did you work on the game?

Anyway, I think one quite big reason is, the fuckwad policy of charging money from map-packs in the new "Modern Warfare series" (+BLOPS). I don't swallow that bullshit about how Failarch said the Radiant is too hard to learn so that's why they didn't release it.

Also, spawning system is yelling way too often "fuck you". Sometimes you nicely enemies spawning behind you where you just moment ago checked no one is there. Very nice.. feature.

Hitboxes also work quite wrong, I get more often killed behind cover than in CSS. I don't mean by penetrated bullet thru wall/obstacle, I mean that I basically teleport back to "uncover" when in my view I was already safe. These issues also can be seen when you and enemy basically shoot at the same time. Many times I see my gun shoot, even the hitmark showing (one ridiculous thing too), but when you get killed and see killcam, I just stood there doing shit about the enemy waving his piece.

Gameplay is too fast, like Quake but with real-looking guns. It doesn't have that tactical feel when you HAVE TO sprint almost the whole time to capture those pesky Domination-flags or do other objectives or to just catch up enemy on some maps. My shift-key is in alot of use when playing these new CoD games. It's like a running contest.

Pop-ups telling about my kill, "HEADSHOT!" "AVENGE!" "BOO!" "WHATEVER!" are quite annoying. So are the always popping numbers of the xp I gained from kills. Since when it was so cool to see this? Isn't small note in the right top corner enough (or lower left in this case)? Kind of hate this arcadey-feel. Reason I play Hardcore-mode mainly as it strips all that nonsense away from my screen.

Serverbrowser is quite dumb. It's not as shit as Bad Company 2's, but it still sucks. I love how in Source you can stop your serverlist-refreshing and it doesn't change the server I clicked once while still adding more to list. Example, you refresh list -> Found a good server, click only once because browser got new server up in the list and thus changing the position of the chosen server to lower. This sometimes leads to mis-clicks and makes you join wrong server. It's not mega timekiller, but wasted time is wasted on easy stuff that could be done better way.

Easyness of leveling up. When I played actively BLOPS on HC servers and mainly DOM, 3-4h a day, I got to max level in about one to two weeks. First 20-21lvls in the first day.

Oh well, there's more but can't remember now as I haven't played the game for a while.
* Portfolio: http://sp0n3.carbonmade.com/
* No More Room In Hell - Level Designer
* Zombie Panic! Source - Level Designer
SotaPoika
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby ThePain on Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:27 pm

So I've got that enemies tend to spawn around you in certain game modes. That is a problem yeah, and I wish they'd fix it. Everything else you listed were just personal preferences, not actual flaws with the game.

The hitbox thing I've only ever seen on players with bad connections (200-300 ping), not due to the game itself. Do you play on servers in your own country, or overseas?

I could make the argument that ARMA is a terrible game because it moves way too slow and takes too long to play, so it's bad. Well, no, it's not bad. It is a tactical shooter where Call of Duty IS an arcade / competitive shooter. I wouldn't give Battlefield 3 crap for making the maps too large as that's what Battlefield is.

Things that would be problem with the game-
Grenades disappear / clip through walls
Enemies turn invisible
gun randomly won't shoot
Randomly disconnect from server
Game randomly crashes
Buttons randomly unbind
No hit detection with low ping and quality hardware
able to glitch out of map
Single over-powered weapon all opponents use
heavily 1-sided maps that make it near impossible for other side to win
Lack of patches / Lack of future content
No tech support

Preferences -
Guns don't shoot right
Run too fast
don't like the UI.
It's quite simple really. I want to be a professional level designer. I want this to be my job.
ThePain
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming Chat