Steam Forums Compromised

Comment on the news articles here.

Steam Forums Compromised

Postby Blink on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:47 pm

Some of you many be aware of the recent downtime on the Steam forums. This was caused by a hack, and Gabe has just sent out a message addressing the situation:

Dear Steam Users and Steam Forum Users,

Our Steam forums were defaced on the evening of Sunday, November 6. We began investigating and found that the intrusion goes beyond the Steam forums.

We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating.

We don't have evidence of credit card misuse at this time. Nonetheless you should watch your credit card activity and statements closely.

While we only know of a few forum accounts that have been compromised, all forum users will be required to change their passwords the next time they login. If you have used your Steam forum password on other accounts you should change those passwords as well.

We do not know of any compromised Steam accounts, so we are not planning to force a change of Steam account passwords (which are separate from forum passwords). However, it wouldn't be a bad idea to change that as well, especially if it is the same as your Steam forum account password.

We will reopen the forums as soon as we can.

I am truly sorry this happened, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Gabe.

Additional information can be found via arstechnica.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Re: Steam Forums Compromised

Postby SotaPoika on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:24 pm

Well, that's fucked up. I can login to forums there, but can't change my password yet so I guess that comes later. Deleted my credit card info on my Steam Account just in case. Not that I have any money to make purchases from... :D
* Portfolio: http://sp0n3.carbonmade.com/
* No More Room In Hell - Level Designer
* Zombie Panic! Source - Level Designer
SotaPoika
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby source-maps on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:33 pm

does anyone think this will hurt their rep?
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby no00dylan on Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:20 am

Well damn.
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Dives on Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:24 am

Undoubtably it will hurt their rep a little but not nearly as badly as when Sony got hacked. Valve hashed and salted the passwords so it doesn't look like they did anything stupid on their end. And also they came forward with this 10 times quicker than Sony did.
Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Jangalomph on Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:34 am

edit: nvm.. I was able to log in now. :P
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby cpl. punishment on Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:16 am

Yeah, I was wondering why the forum was undergoing "maintenance" for five days. Makes sense now.
cpl. punishment
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby cheesemoo0 on Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:35 am

This is not good. It's a good thing I don't have my credit card saved. It helps me not do so many impulse buys.

Deleting your info now doesn't help guys. If they took it then they have it. I would change passwords though.
cheesemoo0
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby YokaI on Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:35 am

cheesemoo0 wrote:This is not good. It's a good thing I don't have my credit card saved. It helps me not do so many impulse buys.

Deleting your info now doesn't help guys. If they took it then they have it. I would change passwords though.

I don't think it has anything to do with saved credit card info, that's on the client end. However, it has to do with transaction, since every transaction on any marketplace is notated as far as I know. Hopefully it's encrypted enough that it won't be a simple matter when it comes to unencrypting personal info.

I think if valve were smart, all steam services would go down for a little bit while they try to regain footing. There's no way to really know if the hackers still have access if they don't know by what means they've accessed personal info. I know everyone would be very unhappy with that, but Sony did a lot of good actually by having it's service down for some time before rebooting. They also pulled the plug before even more info was leaked.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby cheesemoo0 on Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:40 am

I don't think the credit info is saved client side. I seem to remember buying a steam game on a friends computer. That was when I kept my credit info on record.
cheesemoo0
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:59 am

Dives wrote:Undoubtably it will hurt their rep a little but not nearly as badly as when Sony got hacked. Valve hashed and salted the passwords so it doesn't look like they did anything stupid on their end. And also they came forward with this 10 times quicker than Sony did.

qft
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Ark11 on Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:02 am

Just cleared my credit card details off my account just incase.
"Drop kick me Jesus, through the goalposts of life." - Robert Bare
Ark11

Postby Ale on Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:22 pm

It will hardly do a thing towards their rep. Doesn't matter how tight your security is, there will be someone able to crack it. As such, i wont really bother changing passwords and info as it was all encrypted anyway.
Ale
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby source-maps on Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:32 pm

Ale wrote:It will hardly do a thing towards their rep. Doesn't matter how tight your security is, there will be someone able to crack it. As such, i wont really bother changing passwords and info as it was all encrypted anyway.

not everyone is aware that 'everything' can get hacked and allot of people will get freaked out if they see a message like 'just to be save check your credit card info'
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Duke Nukem on Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:28 pm

Its kool that gabe wrote a personal letter and didnt try to keep all that things secret.
Enjoy your Kartoffelsuppe!

ModDB Profile
Duke Nukem
Pheropod
Pheropod

Next

Return to Site News