"Sin City" / "Noir" artstyle or mod

Reveal what you have made so far and get feedback on development.

Re: "Sin City" / "Noir" artstyle or mod

Postby Gary on Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:55 am

Yes, not sure what happens with HDR off.

The texture can be any color.

Also, pretty sure you can have as many non-shadow-casting env_projectedtextures you want without code mods. (As long as r_flashlightscissor is 0).
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Naticus on Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:05 pm

Here is a quick and dirty scene I put together using the $lightwarptexture parameter with a b/w texture. I only used this effect for the bricks and the player model. I think the key to this technique will be to use it for select textures. If it is used on everything, I think you lose too much detail. For this scene I also kept selective color in the sign and the blood. I altered the blood decal to enhance saturation and to make the actual blood part opaque. Let me know what you think.

Naticus
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Armageddon on Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:37 pm

That is nice, really really nice.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Cherno on Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:37 pm

Looks great indeed. Good point about the selective apporach.

Did you just convert the textures in this scene to b&w and added the $lightwarp parameter to the bricks? And did you use purely b&w lightwarp or is there some shading involved ?
Cherno

Postby dissonance on Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:16 pm

i think it'd be best to use a shader instead of doing it to the diffuse, just in case you'd like lightning to suddenly re-saturate the scene.
i had fun once, and it was awful.
dissonance
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Cherno on Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:02 pm

That would mean telling the shader to only affect certain colors (all but specific red used for blood, for example). This, I believe, is only possible by adding some kind of special color channel in the diffuse map, which sounds incredibly hard if not impossible to accomplish :( Otherwise I'd agree that it would be the best solution.
Cherno

Postby Armageddon on Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:30 pm

The Source Shader editor could do something like that, only red is a visible color.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Cherno on Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:32 pm

Yeah, the thing is that every red would be visible as such, which is not desirable. So blood should show as red, but a red shirt etc. should still show up as b&w ;)
Cherno

Postby Armageddon on Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:53 am

I thought anything red shows up in the Sin universe, like a red tie. Also how did you make your own lightwarp texture thing, that bar, is that just a .vmf?
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Cherno on Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:40 am

The lightwarp texture is copied directly from the valve dev wiki and modified depending on how I wanted it to look.
Cherno

Postby Naticus on Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:53 pm

Cherno wrote:Looks great indeed. Good point about the selective apporach.

Did you just convert the textures in this scene to b&w and added the $lightwarp parameter to the bricks? And did you use purely b&w lightwarp or is there some shading involved ?

For that scene, I converted all the diffuse textures to B&W and then added the lightwarp to the bricks and player model. I just used a b&w strip for the lightwarp texture. From left to right, it was 2/3 black and 1/3 white.
Naticus
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Previous

Return to Under Construction