Dynamic shadow angles in Source 2007

Grab your favourite IDE and tinker with the innards of game engines

Re: Dynamic shadow angles in Source 2007

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:57 pm

dark0r wrote:I've been busy with exams since the end of November, so unfortunately not. They finish tomorrow, so I'll get straight back to work, don't worry... I haven't left them.

we don't pay you to take exams
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby IBeMad on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:12 pm

Any hope of preventing shadows from overlapping? Or is that impossible to fix without modifying shaders?
IBeMad

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:35 am

Yeah that is a good question. Likely not though, considering most methods would be fairly expensive. You'd have to test if a shadow is being drawn etc. We have no access to that code I believe, though I might be wrong. I haven't explored the RTT area at all really.

But if you could, you would probably want to draw the shadows into a separate rt, where shadows in that rt draw white. Obviously white overlapping white means more white, so thus you would not see the edges of the shadows as they would blend seamlessly. That is probably the easiest and cheapest way versus testing per shadow. But that would require rewriting how RTT shadows are drawn. And more likely than not, using a form of depth or normal buffer. Both of which are heavily limited and non existent respectively.
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Postby IBeMad on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:56 pm

Haha yeah, almost exactly what I[list=][/list] was planning to do. I'd have to draw each model from the point of view of the light, (to create a planar shadow) then combine them in screenspace, while somehow using the depth buffer to warp the shadows. All without using shaders since I'm using the alien swarm sdk.
IBeMad

Postby Gary on Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:36 pm

IBeMad wrote:Haha yeah, almost exactly what I[list=][/list] was planning to do. I'd have to draw each model from the point of view of the light, (to create a planar shadow) then combine them in screenspace, while somehow using the depth buffer to warp the shadows. All without using shaders since I'm using the alien swarm sdk.

Well, these RTT shadows work nothing like that. As far as I know.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby IBeMad on Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:58 pm

Gary wrote:
IBeMad wrote:Haha yeah, almost exactly what I[list=][/list] was planning to do. I'd have to draw each model from the point of view of the light, (to create a planar shadow) then combine them in screenspace, while somehow using the depth buffer to warp the shadows. All without using shaders since I'm using the alien swarm sdk.

Well, these RTT shadows work nothing like that. As far as I know.

Yeah I know... I'd have to draw the model from a light's point of view to get the shadow texture.
IBeMad

Postby Gary on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:02 pm

Like shadow mapping?
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:19 am

Not really. But yeah it is kinda somewhat similar. (lol)
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Previous

Return to Programming