Dear Esther Released

Comment on the news articles here.

Dear Esther Released

Postby Hollow on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:30 pm

Forget any plans you had for a date this Valentine's, because Robert Briscoe's re-imagined and beautifully realised take on the original Dear Esther mod by The Chinese Room, is out right now!

“An astonishingly beautiful, haunting meander around a remote Hebridean island, and the story of the dying moments of a man who traveled to it.”

The pleasantly low price of £6.99 means there is no reason to miss out, whether you're a fan of the now ancient gem of a mod, or an impressed bystander.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Re: Dear Esther Released

Postby MaK on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:57 pm

Dear Esther is my valentine.
MaK

Postby [Steve] on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:23 pm

Just played through for my first time, and its fantastic !

the attention to detail is amazing, source has never looked so good !
[Steve]
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Kremator on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:26 pm

Already got it, going to play tonight once I get home!
Kremator
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Hollow on Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:39 pm

What a wonderful experience. The music, monologues and scenery tugged at the heart-strings more as it progressed. It may be short but it's an absolute 100% perfect package as interactive storytelling and immersion.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby nub on Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:58 pm

I totally forgot it was coming out to day. Bought it as soon as I remembered.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jangalomph on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:04 pm

Just bought it, Cant wait for it!
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Chopium on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:14 pm

Amazingly done, I'll say. I'd add something smart but I think it would be better if everyone just played through it. Here's one hint though: you can miss a lot of the game if you just walk straight to the end.
Chopium

Postby MrBlackspoon on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:24 pm

Just bought and played it. Did anyone saw a ghost too while playing it? Or am i imaginating the black silhouette?
MrBlackspoon
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Hollow on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:30 pm

MrBlackspoon wrote:Just bought and played it. Did anyone saw a ghost too while playing it? Or am i imaginating the black silhouette?

Yes, I saw a figure in the caves as you walk down the side to that second gutted hull, that really spooked me.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:07 am

Hollow wrote:What a wonderful experience. The music, monologues and scenery tugged at the heart-strings more as it progressed. It may be short but it's an absolute 100% perfect package as interactive storytelling and immersion.

lol. Bro it wasn't THAT emotional.

Honestly though it's just a really pretty game, and that's all it has going for it. Story wise I was trying so hard to really find something, but it has nothing to really hold onto. Honestly the story feels like the writer was just pulling stuff out of his ass. Gameplay wise the way the story is scripted and presented is neat, but the actual story itself is just bland and generally hard to find yourself grabbing onto.

But that isn't Robert Briscoe's fault. Everything he's responsible for he did extremely well, and with so much quality you overlook a lot of the other factors that made Dear Esther boring and flat. It's an exceptionally pretty game for Source, but it can still use a lot more. Some Post processing shaders would of went a long way. Like filmgrain or something. I dunno.

But I kinda didn't enjoy Dear Esther when it was a ugly mod. And even now I knew it was still going to have nothing going for it. I mean why Robert graced a ugly ass mod with pretty bland and uninspiring story telling is mystery I'll never understand. But in all honesty I guess it worked out. I payed 10$ to walk around a really nicely detailed Island, and I'm cool with that. Like, I'd really like to have my full 10$ go straight to Robert. And the Programmer.
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Postby Jangalomph on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:02 am

I thought the music and environment was well. I Kinda had an idea for the story, but was rather lost through out 90% of it. Though I did often have "Chills throught the game, and was amazed by many sights. It could've had a little more story work put into it, and a little faster walking speed.
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:31 am

Yeah the music gave my chills at some moments.
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Postby Hollow on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:46 am

Some people are going to take away different things from their experience. and mine was one that managed to immerse me just so, that yeah, i did have a lump in my throat towards the end. I'm not saying everyone will feel this way. But as with all forms of art, it speaks to the individual in certain ways that, only give as much as the person wants to get out of it. I just totally let myself be lost in the story and I guess it had a different impact on me.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby dissonance on Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:15 am

awesome, loved it. completely worth 10$.
i had fun once, and it was awful.
dissonance
Veteran
Veteran

Next

Return to Site News