The Official Interlopers "Map Pimpage Thread"

Reveal what you have made so far and get feedback on development.

Re: The Official Interlopers "Map Pimpage Thread"

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:44 pm

im going to say "yes", just to spite him. and he better not just quote himself either. he better type it out.

honestly if more red/orange appears on the let side of the composition then balance will be regained.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sathor on Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:01 pm

I would choose another poster. More like something simple. Perhaps a white background with a yellow stripe (diagonal) and a yellow text in Japanese letters. Something like that.

While a poster in reality should attract attention, I don't think some little detail should attract your attention in such a composition.
Sathor

Postby Spike on Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:45 am

Spike
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby amckern on Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:51 am

Spike wrote:Image

Looks good, but your 1/2 clouds in the bottom level look broken
NightFall Source Code - http://nightfallmod.com
amckern
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby nub on Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:29 am

Yeah you should make a variant of that brick wall without the clouds. Just the green hills and a clear, blue sky. Use it on the center wall below the 2nd floor so you don't get those cut in half clouds. Looks awkward.

Very cool idea though. You should fill it with TONS of secret passages and whatnot, just to make it more fun to explore.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Dejavo on Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:38 pm

Aight... I take the point about the poster after looking at it with your crits in mind.

nub: I prefer the new tree but will try with fuller leaves. Thx for pointing it out.
Dejavo

Postby Fulcrum on Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:03 pm

Remade entire landscape of desert map using higher subdivided displacements not REALLY noticeable unfortunately and has messed up my cloud overlay. On a positive once I get a computer which can run bumpmaps the entire map is bumpmapped to give the illusion of more relief.

The distance "shadows" are cliffs which are covered in rocks when you get close similar to next screenshot.

Older screenshots:
Image(old skybox showing rocks on cliff, models are proxy I intend to make my own seamless versions)
Image(old lighting showing the cliff model, has 4 variations which will be implimented last.)

What can I improve light/sky wise to make it less boring and more shiney?
Fulcrum

Postby Jordash on Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:11 pm

Have a look at these references:

(I know you say those are older screenshots but I'll critique them anyhow)
Notice:
The bushes are green and in greater abundance
Cliff edges and rocks have hard corners, sand is curved and flowing (apply this to your last shot)

The interesting most interesting spaces are SPACES, they have verticality boundaries and changing widths, your map is too open in a bad way, there is little textures variation, the player has no direction or desire to explore, he knows there is no point walking in any direction because he can see everything in every direction until the map ends.

I'm not sure what gameplay you're aiming for, or if this is just an aesthetic experiment, but the goal should be part of your level design

Also consider a 2d skybox for the far off mountains, this is from a project I did recently with 2d and 3d mountains in the skybox, I made it and I can't even remember where the 3d ends and 2d starts http://www.jordash.net/ROOT/2011_museum_3d/three.jpg I used the wall worm sky writer , 3ds max and extracted terrain from google earth to make it
Jordash
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Fulcrum on Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:38 pm

Nice building are you an architect? I think I saw it a while ago and wanted to show it to someone.

Thank you for all the good feedback. I did make a pre alpha with more elevation but for the small scales included in source it seemed all to squashed, I would very much like to do it in a different engine, maybe once I have finished.

I might look into remaking the cliff models but if I do it will be the 4th time remaking them (this is my 1st 3ds max project) I also had great difficulty making a seamless Uv map on my more square cliff models. I still got to make foliage I was going to make it yellow but I'll go green instead ;) Thank you!
Fulcrum

Postby cz_squishy on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:56 pm

cz_squishy
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Fulcrum on Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:38 am

The ability to use the forklift truck is not advertised enough. You need something to draw attention to it. A player could grab the rpg and just go back the way they came.

The overhead motorway (viaduct?) is also plain. Takes up alot of the image yet it is bland and has obvious tileing. The rest is nice, good attention to detail and good placement of cover. Not really explained why there is an rpg crate when the rest of the cargo doesn't look very military.
Fulcrum

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:48 am

here's my crits. take them with a grain of salt and know that it is constructive. (incoming wall of text) by the way, other than these things, i think the level looks awesome. i really like the building seen at the end.

1. the skybox texture does not match the lighting.

2. the floor of the first warehouse looks too clean. you should use displacements so you can use blends...and then some overlays and decals to dirty it up without using too many models.

3. the sharpness of the sunlight shadows inside the buildings (the warehouse and the building shown at the end) looks strange and artificial compared to the natural blurry shadows seen throughout the outside portions.

4. will the warehouse full of crates be full of combine waiting to ambush the player? maybe you could make some of the taller wooden crates or shipping containers crash open and a single SMG soldier appears to surprise the player. (i wouldn't advise using a shotgun soldier because death may come too swiftly...which is a cheap way to go.)

5. i personally dislike the forklift activation mechanic. you should at least make it more obvious that the forklift should be used...probably with some engine noise and thin smoke coming from the rear of the forklift (could be particle-based).

6. it took 4 shots to kill the APC. (which difficulty mode was it?) maybe you should just put a wooden supply crate much closer to the battle space and allow the player to get a rocket from that instead of making him go all the way back to the infinite ammo crate. i just feel like it breaks the flow of battle to have to run back for a single rocket. maybe if there were more combine coming up from behind...it would feel more like a battle than a chore to go back for rockets.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby cz_squishy on Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:23 am

1. Will play around with different lighting but same angles

2/3. I guess I like shadows too much. After looking at reference photos I will turn them into displacements and cut off the sharp shadows. It looks nice but it I guess it would be better in a closer environment. Plus I need to cut down on lightmaps

4. Combine ambush was and is planned for the crate warehouse, maybe one shoty?

5. maybe a smaller box with a ramp to force the player to use it? I already have a teaching mechanic in place: in the first warehouse the player needs to use the forklift to get to an area for a plug.

6. Added an wooden ammo crate near the entrance. Difficulty was Normal
cz_squishy
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Armageddon on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:50 am

I only saw one problem, crates.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby cz_squishy on Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:07 pm

Armageddon wrote:I only saw one problem, crates.

What's wrong with them :[]:
cz_squishy
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

PreviousNext

Return to Under Construction