Portal 2 'Perpetual Testing Initiative' Released

Comment on the news articles here.

Portal 2 'Perpetual Testing Initiative' Released

Postby ad_hominem on Tue May 08, 2012 9:00 pm

The wonderfully intuitive in-game map editor for Portal 2 has come out of beta, and is now available for everyone to play around in.

The Perpetual Testing Initiative (PeTI) is live! Even though most of you will be getting your first sweet taste of test chamber construction today, a lucky few of you have already been beta testing for the last couple of months. An unfair head start? You bet. But it's thanks to this massive injustice that you have a ton of great test chambers to solve on launch day.

More than just a way for people less familiar with hammer to get into making some maps, the editor is also a very useful prototyping tool. Maps can be quickly created and exported into hammer for further fine tuning. You can find the tools in your copy of Portal 2 now, or read a bit more about it on the Portal 2 blog.
ad_hominem
Monothetic
Monothetic

Re: Portal 2 'Perpetual Testing Initiative' Released

Postby Armageddon on Tue May 08, 2012 9:05 pm

Already 144 pages of levels. :o

I wonder if they let you upload non editor levels.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby TheDanishMaster on Tue May 08, 2012 9:54 pm

Aw yeah! let's make some chambers :D *hits compile button* "There was an error!" FUUUU
Specs:
MSI P67A-GD55, Intel Core i7 Sandy Bridge 2600k @ 3,4GHz, Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333MHz, 1TB HDD, NVidia GTX580 1,5GB GDDR5, Blu-Ray drive
TheDanishMaster
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby LordDz on Tue May 08, 2012 10:01 pm

God damnit, why does this have to come out now? I just got awesome ideas for a COOP map, but I really need to study..
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Dives on Tue May 08, 2012 10:04 pm

Valve also broke Portal 2 Hammer in this update.
Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Armageddon on Wed May 09, 2012 12:31 am

LordDz wrote:God damnit, why does this have to come out now? I just got awesome ideas for a COOP map, but I really need to study..

I don't think you can make co-op chambers.

Also this. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=68500248

And this. http://www.blappeture.com/
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Gary on Wed May 09, 2012 12:47 am

After making a the largest map it would let me, and trying to build, VVIS locked up my computer.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Epifire on Wed May 09, 2012 2:47 am

So after removing the Portal 2 Authoring tools like the little map builder asked (authoring tools which I never used) I tried to relaunch Portal 2 to build my map. It in turn gave me some kind of DLL error on launch of the game. This fellow is pissed right now, and wonders why these tools have to intermingle so much. :x
Epifire

Postby Ark11 on Wed May 09, 2012 9:05 am

Theres really no way to do anything new or original in this new tool in terms of game mechanics and aesthetics. Also my map:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=68547994
One person actually downloaded that piece of shit :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :smt023
"Drop kick me Jesus, through the goalposts of life." - Robert Bare
Ark11

Postby LordDz on Wed May 09, 2012 3:38 pm

Armageddon wrote:
LordDz wrote:God damnit, why does this have to come out now? I just got awesome ideas for a COOP map, but I really need to study..

I don't think you can make co-op chambers.

I was going to make it in hammer :)
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby iamhoops on Wed May 09, 2012 4:11 pm

I actually think I like this tool, because it is getting me into mapping for portal 2, which I was avoiding because of all the needless entity I/O I'd have to go through just to make a simple puzzle. All I have to do now is figure out how to export to hammer, and I can add custom sections of the puzzle. It would be cool if Valve added settings for advanced users that wanted to import custom prefabs and make larger maps, but I suppose that's what hammer is for.
iamhoops

Postby MaK on Wed May 09, 2012 8:46 pm

iamhoops wrote:I actually think I like this tool, because it is getting me into mapping for portal 2, which I was avoiding because of all the needless entity I/O I'd have to go through just to make a simple puzzle. All I have to do now is figure out how to export to hammer, and I can add custom sections of the puzzle. It would be cool if Valve added settings for advanced users that wanted to import custom prefabs and make larger maps, but I suppose that's what hammer is for.

The map is stored in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\sdk_content\maps\preview.vmf

Keep in mind that the map is entirely made up of fun_instances and have a separate brush for each square. So it's really difficult or almost impossible to edit them.
MaK

Postby TheDanishMaster on Wed May 09, 2012 9:36 pm

Am I the only one crashing about 2 minutes after I load my preview.vmf? I was basicly optimizing the walls and stuff while it suddenly crashed. Second time, I just deleted my roof and in an accident clicked on one of the instances and it crashed. ¬_¬
Specs:
MSI P67A-GD55, Intel Core i7 Sandy Bridge 2600k @ 3,4GHz, Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333MHz, 1TB HDD, NVidia GTX580 1,5GB GDDR5, Blu-Ray drive
TheDanishMaster
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby MaK on Wed May 09, 2012 9:46 pm

Never crashed for me, but then again I didn't really do any editing.
MaK

Postby Knights on Thu May 10, 2012 4:10 pm

The editor is quite good, it's great for everyone who wants to make something in an hour or less. I'm sure Valve will continue to support this and I can't wait to see where they take it.. :smt023
Random gallery... Knights_Stuff.
Home page --> http://www.knights.interlopers.net/
Knights
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Return to Site News