UDK Assets

Help and discussion relating to UnrealEd and the UDK

UDK Assets

Postby kirby2112 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:37 pm

I have a few unreal 3 games installed on my computer. How do I go about getting the assets from those games into the udk?
"I know the second I turn around, he's going to get up. He didn't do it. He didn't do it again. Maybe he's dead? OHHHHHHHHHHHSHIIIIITTTTDAMN HE'SNOTDEADFUCK"
kirby2112
Regular
Regular

Re: UDK Assets

Postby kraid on Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:09 pm

If not impossible, it would still be very difficult i guess, since the files are not only stored in packs but also "cooked" at the end of the developing process.

But right, there's not much content such as models and maps available for UDK.
Most stuff either comes directly for specific games or is allready built-in UDK example content.

In source it's much easier to get things decompiled to take a look on how it was done.

Even if there was something like a de-cooker, there would be still issues with differing versions, sometimes it even fails to use ordinary packs just because they were made in other versions of the UDK.
Goldeneye Source v4.2.3
get it now and play for FREE!!!
http://www.goldeneyesource.net
kraid
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby kirby2112 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:52 pm

[quote="kraid"]If not impossible, it would still be very difficult i guess, since the files are not only stored in packs but also "cooked" at the end of the developing process.

But right, there's not much content such as models and maps available for UDK.
Most stuff either comes directly for specific games or is allready built-in UDK example content.

In source it's much easier to get things decompiled to take a look on how it was done.

Even if there was something like a de-cooker, there would be still issues with differing versions, sometimes it even fails to use ordinary packs just because they were made in other versions of the UDK.[/quote]
But I've seen people using other assets before like saying this is from mass effect 3, this is from bioshock 2, this is from bulletstirm.
"I know the second I turn around, he's going to get up. He didn't do it. He didn't do it again. Maybe he's dead? OHHHHHHHHHHHSHIIIIITTTTDAMN HE'SNOTDEADFUCK"
kirby2112
Regular
Regular

Postby Jangalomph on Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:07 pm

Just make your own :)
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Major Banter on Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:15 pm

Those are ripped assets. One cannot simply 'load up' UE3 content unlike Source with it's FGDs and so on. It isn't built for it.

Consider the Portal 2 SDK - you can't really use Portal 2 content with the old SDK; you have to manually transfer the content with decompiles and modified textures and so on.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby kirby2112 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:32 pm

Major Banter wrote:Those are ripped assets. One cannot simply 'load up' UE3 content unlike Source with it's FGDs and so on. It isn't built for it.

Consider the Portal 2 SDK - you can't really use Portal 2 content with the old SDK; you have to manually transfer the content with decompiles and modified textures and so on.

Poo. I was so excited! Well, back to hammer then I guess!
kirby2112
Regular
Regular

Postby Jangalomph on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:08 pm

Don't give up so soon buddy.
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby kirby2112 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:28 pm

jangalomph wrote:Don't give up so soon buddy.

Well, the real problem is, my student liscense for 3ds max ran out and I can't renew it, so other than the 20 or so base assets, I have nothing.
kirby2112
Regular
Regular

Postby Jangalomph on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:34 pm

Use blender, Its free. But UDK is the future of modding ^^.
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby kirby2112 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:45 pm

jangalomph wrote:Use blender, Its free. But UDK is the future of modding ^^.

I can't do blender. I hate it. 3 years of MAX usage makes pretty much every other modeling program gibberish to me haha!
kirby2112
Regular
Regular

Postby Jangalomph on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:35 pm

Yarr 3ds.
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby kirby2112 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:41 pm

jangalomph wrote:Yarr 3ds.

Uumm... Sure...
kirby2112
Regular
Regular

Postby Stormy on Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:56 am

Yeah I'm the opposite, after using blender for so long I can't use max, it makes me cry like a sodomized schoolgirl. Have you tried blender since 2.5? I have heard people say that it is easier to handle coming from max since they overhauled the UI. I think the biggest problem migrating modelling packages is that you have to go back to noob status and do the basic tutorials all over again, when you know that if you just stuck with your old program you would be able to produce great models immediately.

As for getting assets from other games, there is a decompiler that I found on the net somewhere after googling for a while, but it only supports certain games. Try searching for "unreal model decompile" or something similar.

Incidentally, blender ships with an fbx exporter which works great
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby kirby2112 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:19 am

Black_Stormy wrote:sodomized schoolgirl.

Nice. I'm gonna have to start using that.
kirby2112
Regular
Regular

Postby Garrador on Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:31 am

are you by any chance familiar with a certain bay?
You click on Build or type
make (or some equivalent), and you are astonished, then mortified, as you realize that the whole world is being
recompiled and relinked!
- Scott Meyers
Garrador
Veteran
Veteran

Next

Return to UnrealEd Help