[HL2] Map WIP

Reveal what you have made so far and get feedback on development.

[HL2] Map WIP

Postby HansVanLuger on Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:11 am

So this is pretty much my first map. I'm a bit dry right now on where to take this, but here is what I have so far. I used a part of the "wake up" tutorial as a beginning sequence, and the character shields his/her eyes from the bright sunlight coming through the windows.

It's just an open world with a lot of hills right now. Probably going to add rocks, trees, and other props and various details as I go along. Mainly doing this for single player use, and perhaps machinimas.
HansVanLuger
Just Joined
Just Joined

Re: [HL2] Map WIP

Postby Armageddon on Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:26 am

Very good for a first map. I'm assuming you're going to add more stuff in the outside shot. I'd change the door frame texture and add a lip for the roof. Inside the floor decals look very uniform, could rotate and move them along with adding some detail props.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Dives on Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:29 am

I like it, but the desaturation is too intense. Color is a tool, and it shouldn't be thrown out unless there's a great reason to do so.
Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby skoften on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:57 pm

Higher lightmap scale on the ground to create shadows from the window frame :?: Also, the godrays from the lighting coming outside would suggest the light is going horizontal, which is also confirmed by looking out the window and seeing bright stuff, but then the shadows are on the ground. Is not a big problem tho.
skoften
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Stormy on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:35 pm

I think the rafters on the roof are too uniformly square. Rafters are usually taller than they are wide. And I'm with dives on the use of colour, grimdark != sexy
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby skoften on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:36 pm

A wooden trim of 12/16 units high from the ground attached to the walls would help the transition from floor texture to wall look more subtle.

skoften
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby PhoeniX1992 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:52 pm

I think I speak for all of us when I say: These comments may sound like a lot of harsh critique going in on some fine detail stuff for a first map, but don't get frightened by that! It's because this looks so great for a first map, we'd like to see it becoming perfect :)
PhoeniX1992
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Captain Terror on Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:16 pm

This looks really pretty, and spectacular for a first map :o
Captain Terror
Regular
Regular

Return to Under Construction