New Rig Feedback.

PC related discussion and other issues.

Re: New Rig Feedback.

Postby Gary on Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:15 am

Okay, putting a computer together for a friend. All it needs to do, is:
  • Browse the web(Email, Youtube, etc.)
  • Stream Hulu or w/e video service ( movies, TV shows, etc. probably in 720p)
  • Do paper work (taxes, accounting and such)

So, it doesn't need to be very powerful. But good enough so it feels like a modern computer. She plans on hooking it up to the TV to stream movies and stuff(which is why it needs an HDMI port). So I hope that this would work well:

Mother board combo( on board GPU, included CPU) ~ $120:
  • CPU: AMD E-350 APU (1.6GHz, Dual-Core)
  • GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6310 graphics

RAM:G.SKILL DDR3 4GB 1066 ~ $22

Total ~ $142

My main questions are:
1. Is this CPU going to feel sluggish if she has the stupid anti-virus, AOL crap, etc. running?
2. Is this CPU 64 bit? And if so, can I install a 32 bit OS and not have any of the 64bit compatibility problems?
3. Should I get 2GB($12) or 4GB($22)? Only 3 out of the 4GB will be usable in 32bit.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby zombie@computer on Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:36 am

Gary wrote:Okay, putting a computer together for a friend. All it needs to do, is:
  • Browse the web(Email, Youtube, etc.)
  • Stream Hulu or w/e video service ( movies, TV shows, etc. probably in 720p)
  • Do paper work (taxes, accounting and such)

So, it doesn't need to be very powerful. But good enough so it feels like a modern computer. She plans on hooking it up to the TV to stream movies and stuff(which is why it needs an HDMI port). So I hope that this would work well:

Mother board combo( on board GPU, included CPU) ~ $120:
  • CPU: AMD E-350 APU (1.6GHz, Dual-Core)
  • GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6310 graphics

RAM:G.SKILL DDR3 4GB 1066 ~ $22

Total ~ $142

My main questions are:
1. Is this CPU going to feel sluggish if she has the stupid anti-virus, AOL crap, etc. running?
2. Is this CPU 64 bit? And if so, can I install a 32 bit OS and not have any of the 64bit compatibility problems?
3. Should I get 2GB($12) or 4GB($22)? Only 3 out of the 4GB will be usable in 32bit.

1) Sluggishness is relative. Ever since im using an ssd every computer i've used feels sluggish. It all depends on what you are used to. Since the E-350 can run farcry at med-low settings i'd assume it won't have any problems in the tasks you described, but more than any other cpu, you will notice when, after a few months-years, more and more crap is running in the background. How much crap is running greatly depends on the user. Some people tend to install every program they can download...

2) Almost every new processor is, just as this one. You can install a 32 bit OS no problem, but compatibility problems? Never heard of 64 bit compatibility problems since 2004 or so. If hardware has no 32 bit drivers its either very crappy or old. Or both. software is run in 32 bit mode anyway (Windows on Windows64 = WOW64), so it should not behave any differently.

3)if you go with vista or above, more=better. Besides, you are forgetting one minor thing: the video is ondie. The CPU does the gpu-work, and thus ram=gpu ram. More is better. Even if you go 32bits, youll use like 80-90% anyway because the vram uses a lot (when pcs can only use 3gb of 4 in 32 bits, its usually because of the vram thats taking a bit out of the memory addressing space.)

Please consider other options as well. The zacato is an Intell Atom-killer, but 'normal' cpu's blow it away. Take the cheapest AMD cpu and motherboard currently available and it's performance will probably blow the zacato away, at similar costs. Only go for the zacato when power consumption/heat are an issue. Personally, i'd go for a micro-atx/itx board if you really want those things. You can build everything in much smaller cases (like the Antec ISK 300, loving that one :P) which are exceptionally bonus when placing the pc near the television.

Ofcourse laptops (or notebooks) offer even more bonusses, at a slightly higher prices that is.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Jangalomph on Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:19 pm

Out of curiosity would an SSD make my PC and games run faster? If so any recommendations?
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby srredfire on Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:37 pm

Everything will load a ton faster, yes, but you pay the price for it. SSDs are still quite expensive, but you will see the difference for sure.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820227796

Here is what I ordered the other day for my new rig. Can't wait to try it out.

Just look up Solid State Drives vs. Harddrive load times on youtube.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby WhiteDevil on Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:03 pm

jangalomph wrote:Out of curiosity would an SSD make my PC and games run faster? If so any recommendations?

My windows loads in 10 seconds from power on, every action is instant and every program takes only a few secs to load, SSD is the best component which was totally worth every single penny!

I don't keep much games in my ssd but it does save the load times, especially bf3 loads every map under a minute.. before it was some times up to 4 mins, but performance wise it has no difference in games.
WhiteDevil
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Major Banter on Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:22 pm

Operation: Get A Damn Rig is in effect. Got a budget of about £600-£700, which is basically $1000.

Core specs:

-Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 6MB
-GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB GDDR5
-Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H ATX Motherboard
-8gb of Corsair RAM

This currently costs £752 inc. all the extra stuff like PSU etc., and I'd like to pull it down a fair amount without compromising too much. I can cut back on stuff like the HDD and case, but I'm not sure if I've got a good balance here to begin with.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby zombie@computer on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:06 pm

You might want to consider Ivy bridge instead of sandy bridge. It is somewhat faster but less able to overclock. Your pick. the 2500k overclocks like crazy anyway.

Other than that not much to say. If you play (very)high res the 1gb of gddr is cutting it short.
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Jangalomph on Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:57 am

Really debating weather i should turn away from AMD and ATI for my next build. Im a fanboy for both and I told myself i'd never buy intel or nvidia. But i think the time has come for me to do an intel/nvidia build. But Im super stumped on what i should even get. I want to run bf3 at 60-100 fps, but I also want physx for games like mirrors edge, and Unreal engine 3/4.

I would love to find a motherboard with PCIE 3.0 and An AM3/AM3+ socket, but I Don't believe they exist. :|
So this means no AMD CPU's with the 3.0 Cards and Mobo's.

I'm deciding between an nvidia 670, 680, and 690. I mean how much better is a 690? The price is absurd. But if it was worth it in the long run, I'd save for it.

Then, I know absolutely NOTHING, about Intel processors. I'd want one that's at least 3.6+ ghz and Below the $300 mark.

I guess my max spending would be $1,500.

Can you guys recommend some things?
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Gary on Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:04 am

Instead of using NV has the renderer, you could just use a lower end one as a PPU.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby zombie@computer on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:35 am

jangalomph wrote:Really debating weather i should turn away from AMD and ATI for my next build. Im a fanboy for both and I told myself i'd never buy intel or nvidia. But i think the time has come for me to do an intel/nvidia build. But Im super stumped on what i should even get. I want to run bf3 at 60-100 fps, but I also want physx for games like mirrors edge, and Unreal engine 3/4.
Fanboyism is stupid. You really would not have bought an intell if it was faster and cheaper than an AMD? Anyway, you can also pick AMD+nvidia if you want to. Though i dont see why you would do that. In the top segment intel owns AMD at the moment. nvidia and amd are a little on par i guess.

jangalomph wrote:I would love to find a motherboard with PCIE 3.0 and An AM3/AM3+ socket, but I Don't believe they exist. :| So this means no AMD CPU's with the 3.0 Cards and Mobo's.
Why PCIE 3? there isnt a videocard alive that can push 2.0 to its limits.

jangalomph wrote:I'm deciding between an nvidia 670, 680, and 690. I mean how much better is a 690? The price is absurd. But if it was worth it in the long run, I'd save for it.
Price/quality for high end cards is never good. Look up some benchmarks to see the difference, see for yourself if you are willing to pay the difference.

jangalomph wrote:Then, I know absolutely NOTHING, about Intel processors. I'd want one that's at least 3.6+ ghz and Below the $300 mark.
If your sole criteria is the number of ghz then i understand how you know nothing about intel processors :) Basically, the intel processors come in two flavours, ivy bridge and sandy bridge, each having three distict levels:
i3
i5
i7
Higher = faster & more expensive. The i5 is the perfect gaming processor, i3 is for the less enthusiastic gamers and i7 is usually better than a comparable i5, but has more cores or HT making it less useful for games but a lot more useful for threaded apps. (there are exceptions, as always, see below).

The only decision you need to make is whether you want to overclock or not. The i2500k (2500=version, k=unlocked) is probably the best overclocking cpu at the time, it overclocks like crazy. If you care less for overclocking get an ivy bridge cpu (newer version of the sandy bridge architecture), they are a little faster and about as expensive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Bridge ... tecture%29

though i dont know how far 1500 wil take you or what you want to do with your pc, get a i2500k, 8gb of ram, and the best videocard you can afford. And, if budget allows, get an ssd.
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Jangalomph on Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:53 pm

Yeah, Fanboyism is stupid when I realized it doesn't matter who is better at this moment, I just want a good computer now. So you're saying 3.0 and 2.0 almost don't even matter now? I know that you can use a 3.0 card in a 2.0 slot easily. If so, I could inturn reuse my motherboard, ram, and processor as it's already 3.6 ghz, 9mb total cache and 6 cores, and I feel like it's already better than an i5 2500k. But I also feel like I'm wrong saying mine is better.

Edit: I think I'm better off just buying a new PSU, 8-16 gb of ddr3 ram, and a 670 or 680.
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby trcc on Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:03 am

GTX680 isn't worth it, overclocked GTX670 match performance of 680, and it might even surpass the stock GTX680 a little (from what i've read as i'm really interested in getting 670 but i'm waiting until official 660 pricing and specs.)
trcc
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:39 pm

From what I can tell, I never got an answer to my question from the last page.

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:thanks for that info, i will surely be coming back to check it out when i get all the parts in.

me and janga are looking at 2 cards that are very similar. these two.

Card 1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150563
Card 2. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150521

They are both Radeon HD 6870 cards. But Card 1 has 2GB of onboard memory and a single fan. And Card 2 has 1GB of onboard memory and two fans. They are cloes to the same price point, the 1GB is somewhat cheaper. So the big question is...which card do you think will be better for the kind of work we interlopers do?

If you can help me decide between these two, or suggest an alternative (that is, something for around $200) then please do. Thanks!!

PS: As soon as I get a video card picked out, I will be making my Newegg purchase. No more holding back. Around $1000 going down the drain, but it will be for the best.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby zombie@computer on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:06 pm

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:From what I can tell, I never got an answer to my question from the last page.

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:thanks for that info, i will surely be coming back to check it out when i get all the parts in.

me and janga are looking at 2 cards that are very similar. these two.

Card 1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150563
Card 2. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150521

They are both Radeon HD 6870 cards. But Card 1 has 2GB of onboard memory and a single fan. And Card 2 has 1GB of onboard memory and two fans. They are cloes to the same price point, the 1GB is somewhat cheaper. So the big question is...which card do you think will be better for the kind of work we interlopers do?

If you can help me decide between these two, or suggest an alternative (that is, something for around $200) then please do. Thanks!!

PS: As soon as I get a video card picked out, I will be making my Newegg purchase. No more holding back. Around $1000 going down the drain, but it will be for the best.

For the same price as the expensive one (after rebates) you can get this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102987

I think that's the best you can get without going over the $200.

Anyway, as far as the other two cards: the general consensus on the internet is that 2gb for a 6870 is only really useful for screens >1080p.
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:21 pm

That's a pretty nice card. Do you think the 1GB is enough power for running today's games at a respectable rate (ie, decent frame rate, not ULTRA settings)? If that was the case, I would definitely go for the 1GB 6870 card that I linked because after rebates, it would only cost $160.

I am asking here because my govt computer blocks most of the benchmarking sites and stuff so I can't really explore on my own until much later in the day (at home).
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware & Software