New Rig Feedback.

PC related discussion and other issues.

Re: New Rig Feedback.

Postby zombie@computer on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:29 pm

An increase in size of ram hardly pushes fps, it mostly increases the amount of data the videocard can handle; data in the form of extra pixels or shader data (or a combination thereof). As long as your screen < 1080p you'll rarely (if ever) hit the 1gb limit according to most sources on the web, so the extra gb is wasted. You would hit a considerable fps hit if your vram is full, and one would see that in benchmarks. Videocard ram isn't like normal ram which can be used for prefetching and shit when its doing nothing; videocard ram is either used, or not used.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:01 pm

well i bit the bullet today, and finally bought all the parts for a desktop. it cost $1200 after extra warranties. Plus I can pursue about $100 in rebates afterward. I get the parts around Monday and maybe i will put together an assembly video.

I went ahead and got the 1GB XFX card, with intention to upgrade video cards, memory, and power supply over time. I also want to buy a spare PSU just in case.

Is it possible to easily switch out processors using the same motherboard? for example, I opted for an i5 processor, bu i may want an i7 down the road. Will I need a different motherboard and/or a complete re-install of the OS?
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby zombie@computer on Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:20 pm

Usually quite easy, make sure to check your mobo can handle the new cpu, in rare cases mobos need a biosupdate for newer cpus (even if the same socket). Make sure to heat up the cpu before removal (eg run superpi a couple of minutes) so the cooling paste is soft and easily removable, thatll make things lots easier.

Reinstalling the OS, i dont know. You don't NEED to do it afaik, but it may be preferrable. Microsoft OEM licences are tied to mobo so that shouldnt be an issue.
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:32 pm

i did not get a custom heatsink for the CPU. I was going to rely on whatever came with the CPU in the box. I plan to design some decent airflow and add some fans in strategic spots so the case is well-vented.

Should I be very concerned about getting a custom heatsink? I dont plan on running Crysis 3 on it, or BF3, or any heavy-duty games. But I do plan on re-learning Photoshop and diving into the world of 3D modeling.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nub on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:17 pm

While it's definitely not a requirement, it's probably better that you get an aftermarket heat sink. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 is a really popular heat sink at the moment, not to mention well-priced. And yes, it's compatible with the Core i5/i7 processors. It's a bit on the large side, so I'd recommend you make sure you have enough room to fit it on your motherboard and in your case.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby zombie@computer on Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:01 am

unless you overclock or want a really silent pc just go for stock cooling. The core i5&i7 coolers are pretty decent.
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby cz_squishy on Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:39 am

Caved in and bought $950 worth of watercooling parts for my two new 7970s and also bought two 256GB SSDs. Total cost? $2375. Of course I got Assassins Creed 3, Far Cry 3, Hitman, and Sleeping Dogs (2 copies of each game) for free. Should be fun next week.
cz_squishy
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Epifire on Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:51 am

Well guys some of you may have recalled back when I talked about my new PC (a Falcon Northwest Talon) earlier this year. Well I was gonna consult with you all since I thought about it but I got short changed when I ordered my PC and here is why. You see earlier this year before the GTX 600 series came out (literally about a month or so before) I ordered my rig. Thing what was the all powerful GTX 590 of that time was going to be in my system but it was taken off the production line the same week I ordered. So they downed the price on my rig and shipped a 580 in it instead.

While I don't always claim to be a PC elitist I guess actions speak louder then words. When I see games like BF 3, that recommend you should have two GTX 580s in SLI, I wonder to myself, am I able to say I don't feel I need to meet the mark on that? I don't get horrible frames at max settings but I still feel a bit short changed in all honesty.

So while I feel it is inevitable that I am going to finally snap and buy another card, what should it be? Would it be wiser to get another GTX 580 and add it in SLI mode? Or should I just get into the next GTX 600 series instead? My thoughts are what all do I gain in just having a GTX 680 over two 580s? Or do I actually gain anything in it power wise?
Epifire

Postby cz_squishy on Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:27 am

Epifire wrote:Shit ton of text

First off what is the wattage of your PSU and can your mobo + case support another card?
cz_squishy
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby nub on Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:52 am

Well, you could factor in power consumption to this equation if you wanted. Two 580s in SLI would probably consume more power than a single 680, but that's just my guess. You'd have to power both cards, as well as cool both of them efficiently, thus you'd get a larger power bill. I don't know how substantial the difference would be, but it certainly adds up. You could easily just shut your PC down whenever you aren't using it to save power altogether.

As far as SLI itself goes, I've been told it can be wonky sometimes. Certain games don't even support SLI, actually. Witcher 2 didn't until they managed to patch it in several months after launch.

Of course, getting a 680 would obviously cost more up front, but I dunno how it would pay off in the end. You could maybe sell your 580 on Ebay or something, but I'd personally rather keep it as a back up card in case the worst happens to the 680.

Anyway, if the single 680 is more powerful than two 580s in SLI, then I'd definitely recommend going with that instead. One less component to worry about.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby zombie@computer on Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:42 pm

nub wrote:As far as SLI itself goes, I've been told it can be wonky sometimes. Certain games don't even support SLI, actually. Witcher 2 didn't until they managed to patch it in several months after launch.

This is exactly the reason why i personally wouldnt even consider SLI. You spend tons of cash on a system which some games cannot even use. Like buying a Ferrari that cant handle the speed bumps in the roads.
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Epifire on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:57 pm

nub wrote:Anyway, if the single 680 is more powerful than two 580s in SLI, then I'd definitely recommend going with that instead. One less component to worry about.

That is my whole question right there. Falcon asked if I wanted to substitute the 590 for two 580s but I didn't have enough dough then so I sided with one. Yeah I do have a 1000 watt power supply though, so it definitely would handle it fine. I could have gone with a higher power supply but I figure whats the use if I can only fit two GPUs in this thing anyway.
Epifire

Postby KILLA-COW on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:53 pm

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£169.20 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£56.57 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£152.33 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£59.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£53.67 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: A-Data XPG SX900 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£164.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Video Card:Sapphire HD 7970 VAPOR-X GHZ 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (£359.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case (£134.36 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£79.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£14.99 @ Novatech)
Monitor: Dell U2412M 60Hz 24.0" Monitor (£215.46 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1401.14 (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.) (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-25 19:23 GMT+0000)

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/pqcW
(here is link to the graphic card as one in partpicker list is different http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... 56&subcat=)

The one part I'm really not sure about is the graphics card, can't decide whether to go for a 7970 or go all out and get a 690. What are peoples thoughts?

And I know it's expensive but I want it to be super futureproofed! And I know 16gb of RAM is a lot but it's so cheap at the moment I may as well get the extra.
KILLA-COW
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Epifire on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:12 pm

Well the 690 is definite future proofing imo. I would go out to get it if you got the money cause you shouldn't need to upgrade it for a long time after that.
Epifire

Postby KILLA-COW on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:26 pm

Epifire wrote:Well the 690 is definite future proofing imo. I would go out to get it if you got the money cause you shouldn't need to upgrade it for a long time after that.

What's the best £800 ish 680 at the moment? The evga?
KILLA-COW
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware & Software