Software on Steam

Comment on the news articles here.

Software on Steam

Postby Blink on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:14 pm

Steam has now taken its first steps into expanding beyond a purely gaming platform:

Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the first Software titles have launched via Steam, marking a major expansion to the platform known as a leading destination for PC and Mac games.

The Software titles now available via Steam are:

o ArtRage Studio Pro
o CameraBag 2
o GameMaker: Studio
o 3D-Coat
o 3DMark Vantage
o 3DMark 11

Many of the launch titles will take advantage of popular Steamworks features, such as easy installation, automatic updating, and the ability to save your work to your personal Steam Cloud space so your files may travel with you.
GameMaker Studio, for example, features integration with Steam Workshop that allows GameMaker users to share their work via Steam.

Check out the list for yourself.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Re: Software on Steam

Postby source-maps on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:44 pm

checked out artrage the naughty way.. it kinda sucks

also, 20 bucks for benchmark software.. :/
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Angry Beaver on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:06 pm

Futuremark has always been priced like that, its why it's not more prolific. I like the idea of being on steam though as it get kinda pretty and is a nice e-peen comparison for your computer.

We're probably not going to see any block busters like Adobe and Autodesk for a while because they probably don't like the way steam would want to control the license.
"To repeat what others have said and done, requires education; to challenge it, requires brains; to improve it requires skill and luck."
Angry Beaver
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Armageddon on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:31 pm

I don't know what to think of this, it's kind of cool, but the icons are fugly and clutter up the rest of Steam.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby cra0kalo on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:02 am

I think this is really lame, what happens if your net is down and you need to access an application ?? I think Valve should look into that
Cra0kalo
CG Artist/3D Animator
http://cra0kalo.com

Lead of Operation Reaper
http://projectreaper.com

Lead of the "Dark Alley" Project
http://alleyproject.net
cra0kalo
Regular
Regular

Postby Epifire on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:38 am

cra0kalo wrote:I think this is really lame, what happens if your net is down and you need to access an application ?? I think Valve should look into that

I totally agree with you there. There should be an override system that can bypass steam on some of the non-game applications in case your steam is down. I know of offline mode but there should be a way to bypass that entirely if need be.
Epifire

Postby MaK on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:05 am

cra0kalo wrote:I think this is really lame, what happens if your net is down and you need to access an application ?? I think Valve should look into that

Does it say you can't start up the application without steam? I don't think they would do that. Most of the games on steam except for valve's you can start up without using steam.
MaK

Postby Kosire on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:16 am

Now if only 3dMark 11 used Steam Leaderboards.. then I would have bought it!
Kosire
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby nub on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:16 pm

That's honestly not a bad idea.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Stormy on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:46 am

I think this is what valve meant when they said their plans for linux were massive. I think they are going to use steam as a way to deliver heaps of linux programs to linux users and attempt to become the premier software search engine for linux. I don't think they are going to focus on windows users for this software, that or they will try to push cross-platform programs more than wondoze-only ones. Or maybe they'll use the steam client to decide which platform the program is running on and offer only compatible programs. That would make more sense.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Plague on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:21 pm

Black_Stormy wrote:I think this is what valve meant when they said their plans for linux were massive. I think they are going to use steam as a way to deliver heaps of linux programs to linux users and attempt to become the premier software search engine for linux. I don't think they are going to focus on windows users for this software, that or they will try to push cross-platform programs more than wondoze-only ones. Or maybe they'll use the steam client to decide which platform the program is running on and offer only compatible programs. That would make more sense.

Or they'll just do it the same way they handle games already, They indicate if it is Steam-Play enabled, which atm means its mac and windows compatible.

Currently if the game supports one platform it is indicated by only that platforms icon. A look at the recent mac editions of CoD:BO shows this.

I'm not sure how they will handle "Steam-Play Enabled" when steam works on all 3 platforms. I'd just remove the tag from anything that doesn't support all platforms, but at this point that would be confusing because a lot of games don't have the linux support and would appear to "lose" "Steam-Play" support

Also it's obvious that part of the pulling effect of these apps is that they feature integration with Steam and it's services. So this lends itself to more open applications, not so much the likes of major players like Autodesk, Adobe, ect who don't need to support steam because they already have strong positions.

Also the big plans for linux is probably more to do with the linux steam beta[1] and future ports of Valve's games to linux. We gotta remember that approx. 96.66% of users of steam use some version of windows at least.[2] It's unsure how many of them would use/switch to linux for apps(or games for that matter).

This is all conjecture on my part, so take it with a grain of salt.
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Zecrah on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:43 pm

Maybe they'll have a tier 3. Like 'Super Steam Play' if it supports all 3 systems, and only 'Steam Play' if it supports 2.

I dunno. Something like that.
Major Banter wrote:Zecrah, you've come from nowhere yet have rapidly become a Hammer God.

Wtf.

Check out my weapons tutorial
Zecrah
Design Section Moderator

Return to Site News