Shadow Mapping in Source

Grab your favourite IDE and tinker with the innards of game engines

Re: Shadow Mapping in Source

Postby ScarT on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:15 am

No it isn't.
ScarT

Postby Gary on Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:37 pm

It wouldn't be super difficult to port ortho flashlights to 07. Then you could use the fake CSM that people were talking about before the deferred mod.

Fake CSM/modded global light isn't very fast sadly, since the cost of the flashlight/projectedtexture system is largely based on physical coverage. So it would be limited to those with pretty good rigs.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby marks on Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:42 am

I don't know how useful this will be to you guys, but a couple of graphics programmers from the studio here presented a talk at Develop conference earlier in the year about the solutions we've used here to solve some common problems in deferred rendering (specifically, correctly lighting particles and translucent materials).

The slides from the talk are here: http://www.creative-assembly.com/docume ... owiak.pptx
marks
Creative Assembly
Creative Assembly

Postby Dr. Delta on Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:25 am

marks wrote:I don't know how useful this will be to you guys, but a couple of graphics programmers from the studio here presented a talk at Develop conference earlier in the year about the solutions we've used here to solve some common problems in deferred rendering (specifically, correctly lighting particles and translucent materials).

The slides from the talk are here: http://www.creative-assembly.com/docume ... owiak.pptx

Thanks marks :smt023
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:10 pm

404 NOT FOUND MARKS!
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Postby Semmel on Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:18 pm

Hi, i got a weird problem after i added the deferred stuff to our mod.
It seems that every water material is displayed with a black surface, it acts normally but it doesnt reflect anything at all.
I tried rebuilding cubemaps and using different water materials, always the same result.
Anyone got an idea what's wrong? did i something wrong on my part or is that an issue with the deferred implementation?

little screenshot to describe the problem a bit better.
http://imageshack.us/f/694/2012090500001j.jpg
Semmel
Just Joined
Just Joined

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:22 pm

Water is not supported in deferred.
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Postby MacKenzie on Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:30 pm

Hmm, am I able to make changes to the SwarmDeferred project? When I compile the project and load up a map ingame, it crashes and I get no error.
MacKenzie

Postby al-bundy on Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:37 pm

Hi every one.

First I want to say that I try Swarm Deferred and holly sh.. this is awsome.

I don't read everyrthing but it's look very cool.
So i have some little question !

Do you think it can work with a big map ?

I work on a mod with giant map :

http://www.moddb.com/mods/cube-story

Also I creat a day/night cycle, do you think it's possible to have the shadow who move in the same time ?

I think it can be cool to have a real time shadow !
al-bundy
Just Joined
Just Joined

Postby [Steve] on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:29 am

al-bundy wrote:Hi every one.

First I want to say that I try Swarm Deferred and holly sh.. this is awsome.

I don't read everyrthing but it's look very cool.
So i have some little question !

Do you think it can work with a big map ?

I work on a mod with giant map :

http://www.moddb.com/mods/cube-story

Also I creat a day/night cycle, do you think it's possible to have the shadow who move in the same time ?

I think it can be cool to have a real time shadow !

not sure what you mean , but try the swarm deferred mod again and move a light that is casting shadows, this should answer at least one of your questions.
[Steve]
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Gary on Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:21 am

Screwing around with my DSS system/hacked up env_global_light again:

It's supposed to be a sand storm, which will cut down on the view distance. In the final product, it will be closer to this:

I just started playing with the fog yesterday, so no need to comment on it.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Epifire on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:05 am

I like your sand storm project Gary. If you get that working really well would it be possible to toggle a sandstorm particle effect attached to the player? Then you could trigger it when needed and you could get the view cutoff and the sand blowing around you as well. Currently there is a part coming up in the Ravenholm mod that could use a far out view cutoff for a swamp level. That would be fog though, but same concept I believe.
Epifire

Postby SM Sith Lord on Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:16 pm

I am making a very simple mod that would be perfect to be built around this amazing lighting method. I would need to implement it into the Alien Swarm SDK Skeleton (http://code.google.com/p/sourcesdk-skeleton/) in order to use it for the project though.

When combing over the Deferred source, I can't tell what's needed to implement the lighting system, and what is other stuff.

If somebody who understands the deferred system could post some instructions or guidelines for integrating only the deferred lighting system into our existing projects, I would really appreciate it.

Of course the UI for spawning the lights would also be very helpful so we could easily test it in our projects.

Keep up the great work Biohazard, and MrTwoVideoCards and 1/4 Life and who ever else is working on this. :D

EDIT:
Some how in all my "effort" to integrate this into the Alien Swarm Skeleton I over looked this oh so important file: http://code.google.com/p/swarm-deferred ... README.txt

Once I learn how to use diff on viewrender.cpp, I should be good to go. :P Sorry for the stupid question.
Last edited by SM Sith Lord on Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SM Sith Lord
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Gary on Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:17 pm

I wonder if we should move the deferred mod discussion to it's own thread. Since it does a lot more than just replace the shadow mapping system.

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby SM Sith Lord on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:33 pm

Hey, look! N00bs can do it too!

Now comes all the fun stuff.

/me does his happy dance
SM Sith Lord
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

PreviousNext