New laptop suggestions

PC related discussion and other issues.

Re: New laptop suggestions

Postby Stormy on Thu May 31, 2012 5:43 am

I don't know how trustworthy the ASUS brand is though, I had an ASUS lappy a while ago, and even though it was cheap, it felt really crappy. But for an extra $100 that is an awful lot more features. Which begs the question, how so (relatively) cheap? Are the components sub par? Are samsung better? There's an extra 1G ram on the gfx card, and extra 256gb ssd drive and extra 4gb RAM for $100... Why can they provide that extra stuff for so little price?

SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT TO BUY
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Thu May 31, 2012 6:12 am

i am a personal fan of Samsung products but i have never owned a laptop or tablet from them, so no opinion can be offered there. i have owned dell laptops and they seem like solid equipment for at least 3 years, so maybe an alienware could suffice for you.

sometimes a risk must be taken. i would go for ASUS because it is something i am unfamiliar with, and i have heard good things about the brand. unless you really dislike the feeling of cheapness you described, in which case i cannot help you much more.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ROFLhacks on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:51 am

look at the Lonovo's Trust me
Fortune tellers make a killing nowadays
ROFLhacks
Regular
Regular

Postby skoften on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:59 am

I have a Lenovo T61p from work and before that I had another lenevo. They're basically IBM and built to last. Most are made for the office I believe. It comes with a 560m which is a decent graphics card. You should look into the newer models.
skoften
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Stormy on Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:40 am

I'm getting the G75VW-DS72, that ssd drive man, gotta have it. I have an external so the other 750gb drive is fine. Also this one has a 3gb gfx card plus 4gb more ram, and the 17" screen.

2 grand shit, I'll let y'all know how it goes.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby nub on Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:58 pm

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:i would go for ASUS because it is something i am unfamiliar with, and i have heard good things about the brand.

Regarding ASUS. The only thing I know is that their strong suit happens to be desktop motherboards. I don't know how they fair in the laptop department. They manufacture all sorts of shit though, even GPUs.

All I can really suggest is that you stay away from Acer. If you're willing to spend so much, I'd just get a nice fat Dell laptop. I know Dell is overrated and overpriced usually, but they do build solid machines, provided you don't get their "trendy and sleek" models. A Dell laptop should last you a long time, especially an Alienware one. Those are usually pretty damn sturdy.

But you could always look at Lenovo. I've heard good things about their laptops as well.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby fishshapedfish on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:11 pm

NECROPOST!
Check Out the Team's Latest Mod!
WIP Screenshots
Recruiting/Our Goals
fishshapedfish
Regular
Regular

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:49 pm

i wouldn't exactly call that a necropost, because this thread is somewhat akin to the "simple questions" thread that is designed to always be around just in case.

i agree, dell is probably the best of the chains. their alienware line is usually a pretty tough machine.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nub on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:23 pm

Guh...must have been late when I made that post or something...
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Previous

Return to Hardware & Software