New Rig Feedback.

PC related discussion and other issues.

Re: New Rig Feedback.

Postby zombie@computer on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:49 pm

id pick another psu. Not familiar with the brand, but the lack of decent reviews says enough. Also, its not modular, which can be really annoying.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby KILLA-COW on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:53 pm

zombie@computer wrote:id pick another psu. Not familiar with the brand, but the lack of decent reviews says enough. Also, its not modular, which can be really annoying.

Any suggestions for good ones?
KILLA-COW
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Dives on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:34 pm

By far the most reliable PSUs are Seasonic. Corsair and Antec PSUs are rebranded Seasonics as well.
Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby nub on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:11 am

KILLA-COW wrote:What's the best £800 ish 680 at the moment? The evga?

£800? That's like $1280. That's a SHIT load of money for a single component. But if you're really willing to pay that much for a GPU, then these are your options:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130781

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130790

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130803 <- Liquid Cooled

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121636

Those are 690s, though. With 4GB of VRAM, you'd only ever need one of these fuckers to run games like Skyrim at super high resolutions with ultra res texture mods and shit. I'd kill to have one of those big bastards in my case (not that they'd fit). But to answer your question, generally-speaking, EVGA and ASUS are the better manufacturers of Nvidia GPUs. MSI is also a great choice for people trying to build on a strict budget (like me).

Dives wrote:By far the most reliable PSUs are Seasonic. Corsair and Antec PSUs are rebranded Seasonics as well.

I keep hearing this from others as well. I personally like Corsair as a company, so for my build I picked out a nice, budgeted PSU from Corsair. I'd at least get a PSU that is Certified PLUS Bronze. Efficiency is very helpful in saving you money on your power bill. If you're building a high dollar system, go for PLUS Gold and modular.

And yes, go for Seasonic/Corsair/Antec.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:46 am

corsair PSU with a modular setup, you will not be sorry.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gary on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:25 pm

So I'm upgrading my brother's computer. With a budget of ~300USD. I was just thinking a new graphics card. But do you guys think that his CPU or RAM might limit him?

What he has now:
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250
GPU: ATI RADEON HD 5770 (JUNIPER XT)
RAM: 2GB of PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM Micron Tech.
MOBO: Giga-Byte GA-MA770T-UD3P

And holy crap, I can't believe how low the 5770 is on the charts compared to the newer cards... good thing that when he gets a new card, I'll just run both my current one and his together in crossfire :D
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby zombie@computer on Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:03 pm

Gary wrote:So I'm upgrading my brother's computer. With a budget of ~300USD. I was just thinking a new graphics card. But do you guys think that his CPU or RAM might limit him?

What he has now:
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250
GPU: ATI RADEON HD 5770 (JUNIPER XT)
RAM: 2GB of PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM Micron Tech.
MOBO: Giga-Byte GA-MA770T-UD3P

And holy crap, I can't believe how low the 5770 is on the charts compared to the newer cards... good thing that when he gets a new card, I'll just run both my current one and his together in crossfire :D

Limit for what? Itll run Internet explorer at great speeds.

Also, crossfire an HD 5770? Is it really worth the hassle? The card is ancient.
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Gary on Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:58 pm

zombie@computer wrote:Limit for what? Itll run Internet explorer at great speeds.

Sorry, forgot to mention, he plays games. But that CPU won't bottleneck anything right?

zombie@computer wrote:Also, crossfire an HD 5770? Is it really worth the hassle? The card is ancient.

Ancient? Huh... I didn't think it was too bad... And is crossfire really that much of a hassle?
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby zombie@computer on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:13 pm

Gary wrote:
zombie@computer wrote:Limit for what? Itll run Internet explorer at great speeds.

Sorry, forgot to mention, he plays games. But that CPU won't bottleneck anything right?

zombie@computer wrote:Also, crossfire an HD 5770? Is it really worth the hassle? The card is ancient.

Ancient? Huh... I didn't think it was too bad... And is crossfire really that much of a hassle?

Bottlenecking... One can create a program that can force the most modern GPU's to crawl while allowing an atom processor to pick its nose. You can also do the exact opposite.

So, the correct answer, probably would be: The CPU will do, but games do exist that will demand more than the CPU can deliver. I can google reviews from 2009 that rate it an entry-model cpu that just manages to render crysis at high detail at 20-30 fps... An impressive feat... But even there the cpu is bottlenecking, as altering the cpu increases fps. How CPU dependent are the games your friend plays? Thats where the answer lies :)

Out of the two, I'd definiately upgrade the gpu first. But dont think youll be able to play everything once you do, in the near future you may have to upgrade that cpu as well.

As for the crossfire, you have 2*HD 57xx. Even if you can simply add up GPU power you still end up with average GPU power (passmark scores will rank 2*HD 57xx at around a Radeon HD 6970). The price you pay is of course electricity / noise / heat... do the cards even fit? How many games support crossfire fully? And exactly how likely is it that you can add up the cards? Wait, i just see the HD 67xx is also compatible. Thats a wee bit better. But still.

Im not saying you shouldnt do it, if its free, its free. By all means, go for it.
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby MELVIn on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:36 pm

In a scenario like this, it's always a better idea to spend the same money on a high-end GPU, rather than getting two last-gen cards. The thing is that pretty much every single game handles Crossfire differently.
While you can get a 20FPS boost in one game by adding a second 5770, you might only get like a 4FPS boost in another game, and in a third game, it doesn't work at all or it actually performs worse.

But to stick to the topic at hand. Your brothers current rig is pretty well balanced for its time, meaning that by upgrading the CPU or the GPU would result in one bottlenecking the other. However, if you had to go with one, I'd say go with upgrading his GPU now, and CPU at a later point. (And RAM of course, but that's pretty much free these days.)
His CPU will still hold up somewhat for a while longer, because most games really only take advantage of two cores anyways, so I'd just overclock the absolute bangers out of it, buy a new GPU, add 2 gigajabbers of extra RAM, and call it a day. And like Z@C said; Free is free, so jam that exra 5770 into your machine to get a wee bit extra juice.
Interlopers.net steam-chat.
Come on in and ask all your level-design questions, or discuss games.
MELVIn
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Gary on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:15 pm

Ah, thanks for the explanation and advice guys!

I'll definitely get 2GBs of RAM for him. And a new GPU, any recommendations for one under ~250USD?

As for me... I'll try out two 5770s and see if it's worth it(it will be directly free). If not, maybe I'll upgrade my own GPU soon.

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Gary on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:10 am

This card looks nice; EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 for 244USD.

I honestly don't care if it's ATI or NV. What ever is good for the price matters.

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby MELVIn on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:12 am

I checked out some benchmarks and whatnot, and that card is scoring pretty much the same as mine (ATI 6950), and I'm very happy with what I've been able to cram out of it. Sure it's not in any way top of the line anymore, but I'm still able to get 60+ FPS in whatever game I can find, although with maybe a little less Anti Aliasing in some cases. (which the Nvidia cards handle better.)

Granted I rock a way faster CPU, but then again the only thing that matters is that he's got more 2 or more cores... after that it's all about them clockspeeds really.
But yeah, for that price and considering my own experience with this cards counterpart, I'd say he'll be one happy camper.
Interlopers.net steam-chat.
Come on in and ask all your level-design questions, or discuss games.
MELVIn
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Gary on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:25 am

Great to hear! I'll probably be ordering it in the coming weeks.

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Jangalomph on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:52 am

I have the 550 TI 2gb and its pretty amazing, though it does choke on a few games, but I can squeeze some really high graphics out of most games. Plus side for me is the Physx.
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware & Software