The Contract

Discuss modifications and also recruit team members.

The Contract

Postby Stormy on Fri May 17, 2013 7:51 am

http://www.thecontractgame.co.uk

Just found this one. Not sure if it's a bunch of ideas men or people with real promise. The 'about' pages reek of over hype and buzzwords but they have some decent art on their indiedb pages. The artists on the team page range from experienced to outright noob so I get the feeling they are enlisting anyone they can. On indieDB they list the game as source, on their website they say it's unreal and on the forums the lead designer has said (and I quote) "I am in search of Concept Artists to help build this game on the amazing CryEngine 3, I’ve picked it for the real time shadows, high quality graphics and just amazing titles that it has produced."
That doesn't sound to me like someone who is particularly experienced in any of those three engines. Next thing he'll be looking for unity plugin programmers.

Also: "Currently, I am building my team and have written the storyline with my writer Bradly"
That language sounds like he is taking sole ownership over the game, which tells me he's not going to take criticism very well. A mainstay of the textbook ideas man.

I haven't looked into the team much yet, but I think I might take some time to net stalk them. Hell, they might be the guys who made BMS I don't know. I'm going to err on the side of caution and remain cynical though. Thoughts Lopers?
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Re: The Contract

Postby Armageddon on Fri May 17, 2013 8:08 am

I highly doubt this will ever get finished.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby ErikKiller on Fri May 17, 2013 11:13 am

Compare the Lead's picture to the others. D-d-d-d-douche alarm!
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Plague on Fri May 17, 2013 1:13 pm

ErikKiller wrote:Compare the Lead's picture to the others. D-d-d-d-douche alarm!

This guy walks up to you and says "Hey, Wanna make some games?"

https://twitter.com/bravo3474

https://twitter.com/Bravo3474/status/334945863724044288

Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Stormy on Fri May 17, 2013 7:29 pm

Well I can't really judge him from that, that's just an ad hominem. I have far worse pictures hidden away. But he has no portfolio as far as I have found, which tells me he doesnt know a fuck. Most people with a clue have a well backlinked portfolio that you can usually find by googling them.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby LordDz on Fri May 17, 2013 11:03 pm

Omg, he knowz gürlz! His game must suck!1111111
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Corewarp on Sat May 18, 2013 12:51 am

Black_Stormy wrote:Well I can't really judge him from that, that's just an ad hominem. I have far worse pictures hidden away. But he has no portfolio as far as I have found, which tells me he doesnt know a fuck. Most people with a clue have a well backlinked portfolio that you can usually find by googling them.

Not necessarily true. I don't have a portfolio of my code stuff, because.. well it's code.. haha. And most of my SUPER SERIOUS HOLY SHIT Projects are done for University.
Corewarp
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Stormy on Sat May 18, 2013 1:20 am

I'd just like to point everyone to this. Scroll down and read my post and his reply. This motherfucker has stars in his eyes and is going to waste a whole lot of time for a whole lot of people.
http://thecontractgame.co.uk/topic/concept-artists-characters-scenes/

Deano AKA gods gift to games dev wrote:Programming Languages:
HTML – Advanced
CSS – Advanced
PHP – Advanced

Yes, I program. C++ is new to me, but I’ve just finished my Degree in Computer Science.

Am I the only one who doesn't consider HTML and CSS "programming languages"? PHP is awful close but it's still just a preprocessing language, even javascript is just a scripting language. Now I don't want to straight out call him a liar but I though this stuff would have been clarified in a comp sci degree.

Deano the dragon slayer wrote:Level Design with Source’s Hammer tool. – Moderate

Literally the only mention of any directly game-related skills. Check his steam profile he has 330 hours in SDK. I don't like to base assumptions on that information but I have 450-something and I don't even know how to rotate shit in hammer.

Dean and his wonderful amazing game idea that will make everyone rich if you make it for him wrote:I will be starting a Degree in Games Design & Development where I will learn Programming, Modelling, Textures, Animation and Level Design.

This isn't going to leave much time for contributing to a massive game project, let alone managing it from the top. Someone who already has one degree should know this.

Dean the crucible of creativity, all hail dean wrote:9) We are aiming at creating our own art assets as in textures, models, props etc. Yes. That can be achieved, it’s not a massive deal in my opinion. I don’t think its fair to use material already created for other HL2 based games.

Oh my. Oh dear. Oh my fucking god. Full game, all original art, all original sounds. Not a big deal. Dean my boy you may just be the best example of the fabled Ideas Guy yet. Unabashedly so. Dean who has made a handful of maps and maybe some websites just told me that it's no big deal to create an entire games worth of art assets to a high degree of quality for no money. But WAIT!
Dean the money maker entrepreneur wrote:This game will be built to sell, I intend on making everyone involved money

I don't think I need to comment on that.

This team is going to fail so spectacularly. It's going to be a long, slow, grinding failure but I can see it all from the ridgeline. They're going to generate heaps of content that will never see the light of release. I feel sorry for that Egyptian modeller bro because he's good and he's just wasting his time. This is going to be another example of 'how not to do it' that will go down in the annals of modding history. I'm calling it. I give them 9 months to the day. 18th of Feb 2014. Anyone want to take bets? I'll put something on it.

Dean if you read this I put it here to keep it off your forums, I don't think your team needed to hear it. You have no experience and no idea what you're getting into, but I don't want to attack a guy in his own house. You might even have an ace up your sleeve but if you actually successfully release this I will eat my hat.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby MrBlackspoon on Sat May 18, 2013 1:42 am

Aight, I will track this game @ moddb. To see if your bet will still be the tallest of the hill.

So did that Egyptian got paid for that character model or what?
MrBlackspoon
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Plague on Sat May 18, 2013 1:54 am

Could it possibly be that this is exactly what this sort of project needs? An ideas guy?

I mean sure its a bit much to take on and some what hypocritical to ask others to do it, but in the real world that is how things happen sometimes.

There are lots of ways it could go wrong, and he might be full of himself. But whats the harm in a guy getting other guys together under his semi-managed vision to collectively output something potentially interesting?

The worst that happens is some people spend time on it and when it falls through they all split up.

Maybe 'we' could be a good well rounded 'community' and flock to such a concept of grouping up and learning together with a team of people interested in the same things 'we' are?

Then again even that is probably asking too much of 'this' 'community'
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Stormy on Sat May 18, 2013 2:46 am

This is true, lopers, for all our great producers (past and present) haven't actually made anything we can really lay claim to. Even canvas fell through and that was like our ubermensch. We should brand our shit more. Like polycount do

Also working hard and long on a project that doesn't release is pretty fucking bad. In fact it's probably the thing I fear most in modding. Which I guess is why I rage so hard at ideas guys such as this. The best mod leaders have the mod under control and just need some people with different skill sets to round out the rest of the game. Not someone with no skills who will barely be able to contribute to the project they are trying to manage.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Plague on Sat May 18, 2013 3:10 am

Sure if you spend an obscene amount of time working on a project for it to completely fail time might be lost unfortunately.
But as long as you work hard you will have practical experience.

Trying and failing is better than not trying at all for fear of failing.

I agree a better leader is one who does work himself or at least has experience in the field he is managing.
But at the same time you need to be willing to pull things together, I'm not really sure if this guy is the perfect idea man turned project manager, but he doesn't appear to be the worst guy you could choose either.

But it is pretty early it seems, maybe it will gain traction.
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jeeves on Sat May 18, 2013 6:07 am

I appreciate you for bringing humour to our lives Stormy. At first I was like " Why has Stormy, who's usually so cynical like the rest of Lopers, showed us another over-ambitious and so, doomed to fail mod?. "

The Contract will be a full-bodied game

Inspired by renowned classics like Goldeneye, Splinter Cell, Hitman, and Max Payne

So perhaps a third person/first person, tactical/action shooter, with a film noir style story, bullet time, strong stealth elements and a strong action component?.

..pull in aspects of the aforementioned series to not only elicit feelings of nostalgia, but also expand upon the fundamental systems found in those franchises to deliver a product that is equal parts refined and innovative

So basically combining two distinct genres, while simultaneously improving upon the mechanisms of those genres; and...

This game will be built to sell, I intend on making everyone involved money

Deliberately taking quotes out of context is nice an' all, but In all seriousness, we chuckle quietly; and wish them well.
Undue Punishment : 'An experimental FP Fighting game with stealth elements. ' -- TBD
Torn : 'A First Person RTS ' -- In Development as of 03/2014
Jeeves
Regular
Regular

Postby Stormy on Sat May 18, 2013 6:33 am

I wished him well until he downplayed art so dismissively :(

Then i uncharacteristically raged.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Sathor on Sat May 18, 2013 8:13 am

Calm down ... I mean, a prop can be done in a matter of hours, a small one might take only 1 hour with skin. You only need like 100s of props if you want to have really 100% custom content in a game. They'll do it with ease. :smt041
Sathor

Next

Return to Mod Talk