The Forgotten Ones HL2 Mod - Open Positions

Discuss modifications and also recruit team members.

The Forgotten Ones HL2 Mod - Open Positions

Postby Pretador on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:49 am

Hello everyone, I'm the lead developer in Fun-Piranesi.
We are currently working hard on our mod "The Forgotten Ones" and it's approaching its third year of existence. Perhaps some of you have heard about this mod and some probably find this all new. However we released a shitty version unfortunately some years ago. I've been working hard to make it more of an AAA quality mod and right now our team really need some modelers to make us some monsters/re-skins/characters to make the mod perfect and ready for release!

If you are interested please send me a pm or contact me via my e-mail "bernta1@msn.com" :)

Now here's some info about our mod:

Our modDB profile: http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-forgotten-ones

It's a horror mod that only requires SDK Base 2007.

You are to be Grobuskna Vladinov. He was raised in Krakow, Poland but his family moved to Germany close to Swastika Forest during the second world war. His father worked for the resistance and continuously continued to press his group towards further more assassinations of Hitler's Top Commanders. When Hitler started the extermination of the Jews Grobuskna's family drew more attention and it led to discovery.
Grobuskna's family was taken captive by Josef Mengele's right hand "Dr. Schienzel".
Schienzel used Grobuskna's parents in several experiments, and Grobuskna himself were to stay in his mansion, one day when he woke up and no one was around he figured out he would explore the mansion.
When he got to the basement, he saw something that changed his life forever. The cruelty of the Nazis, in panic Grobuskna fled the mansion. Exhausted and tears dropping down on his cheek he couldn't continue to run, he passed out and memory was lost. 20 years later you are going to claim your vengeance. Bring Schienzel to justice!

Some new key features that will be included in the mod:
- A custom inventory which allows you to pickup 12 different items, 12 different notes to store and the last part is a map that will give you an overview over your current location. Just a blueprint, not a dynamic tracker...
- Bleeding system which means you will start to bleed under 50% health and regenerate when you got above 50% health.
- Dialogue system, to make things more dynamic you can choose different lines and reveal secrets while talking with some npc.
- 15 Weapons
- Smoke effects on while shooting, new bullet eject effect, magazine eject effect while reloading, when you reload you lose your bullets in the current mag.
- 13 weapons will be in the mod, one donation wep which you also can get if you finish the mod on the two hardest difficulties(one of them).
- Horrifying soundtracks brought by Paul Graham, in-game loading sounds to keep you immersed while loading and also loading images.
- All new HUD, VGUI panels, systems, etc...

The trailer can be seen here:

Some Screenshots:

Thanks for reading, I hope some of you may find this interesting! :smt041
Last edited by Pretador on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pretador
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: The Forgotten Ones HL2 Mod - Open Positions

Postby Armageddon on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:52 am

If you want to boast your mod as AAA quality don't use a Nightmare House 2 skybox with Insurgency cars and textures. Also make it a total conversion using ASW.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Pretador on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:58 am

If everything would be rebuilt it would take another 2 years and I doubt it will stay interesting for that long since ep3 is about to come out. If you want to complain on taking models from other non-commercial mods like insurgency. You need to complain on many mods out there, I don't think that is a valid argument to put a mod in a bad spotlight since we want to play a mod/game for the gameplay and design. Or what are you looking for in a new mod?
Pretador
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby ErikKiller on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:18 pm

No, Arma is right. If you want to stand out (like AAA mods usually do) then you need your own stuff. It wouldn't take you 2 years though.
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Armageddon on Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:48 pm

Yeah, it would take closer to 8 years.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Pretador on Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:49 pm

That's why I added my mod here, so I could recruit some experienced modelers... :3
Pretador
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Stormy on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:20 am

As soon as I see "AAA quality" on a mod description I emotionally write the mod off. What you've got is good, and looks very promising, but don't delude yourself that spruiking AAA will make it so. Good luck with your modellers.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby nub on Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:44 am

Making something look AAA is such a pipe dream of a goal for a mod. Unless you have tons of money to pay people to churn out AAA quality content or a team of insanely devoted, competent, and talented people to work on it for no pay; then you should cast aside such a desire. It's just not practical.

I feel like ever since Black Mesa Source came out, the idea that mods can look just like AAA commercial titles has further cemented itself in the modding scene. Black Mesa Source took several years to complete, with tons of struggling from the team behind it. You'd have to suffer through the same amount of time and effort as the BMS team did to make something that high quality. Do be aware that I'm merely using BMS as an example. I don't know what your exact idea of "AAA" is. But BMS is in my opinion the highest quality Source mod out there. So I figured it'd be a good example.

You have a great foundation at the moment. Custom assets would certainly go a very long way though. You might not have to do a total-conversion, but I feel that borrowing assets from other mods should be completely phased out of your mod. It's just bad taste in my personal opinion. Stick to a mixture of stock content and your own assets. I'm sure that if you do that, you'll be satisfied in the end without having to totally redesign your project from the ground up and spend years on it. Just provide a cool experience for the Source community. It doesn't have to look like Black Mesa Source or anything.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Pretador on Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:31 pm

Agreed in that, my mod may not turn out to be AAA quality in the end but I mostly wanted to point out that I'm doing everything within my power to make it look very artistic and beautiful, if any of you have tried the previous version of this mod you'd probably see what I mean.

Also, making totally custom models would be great. I really want some proper models that will fit completely to the theme. But the problem is that I'm not too experienced with modeling yet and I have my hands full doing programming and level design. That's why our team would need some modelers to make the progress go efficiently. :C
Pretador
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby nub on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:38 pm

Oh I totally understand that. Hopefully you can find a couple talented prop modelers at the very least that are willing to do some extensive work for your mod. Anyone that is serious about putting their work out there and expanding their skills would jump on this opportunity since your mod isn't some hopeless pile of junk. It has a lot of promise in my opinion.

New props alone would go a very long way for the level design. If you really work hard, you could probably overhaul all of your levels with new props in a few months (after the props are finished, obviously). You wouldn't have to completely redesign levels or anything like that. Just modify them so the new props fit naturally and whatnot. It's still a lot of work, but it's very reasonable.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Return to Mod Talk