Left3Dead and Source 2

Postby tripmind on Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:26 am

tripmind
Regular
Regular

Re: Left3Dead and Source 2

Postby LordDz on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:41 am

But where is half-life threeeeeeee!?! :o

EDIT: Apparently the russians are the first that will get the game..
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Armageddon on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:06 am

If that timer is real I'm calling Source 2 as a massive update to the Source engine, no way they would build a new one from the ground up. Hopefully it won't be model based. Also it could be EP3 ARG, you never know...
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Stormy on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:07 am

Dreamin. Doesn't mean a thing. Wait for the damn release.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:00 pm

That timer site looks like a big troll. Also arma, model based is fine, I doubt they would just drop brush tools altogether though.
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Postby source-maps on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:24 pm

the timer is fake.. if the .ru didn't gave it away already (which made it unbelievably obvious I can't believe it's being discussed) l4d2 devs twitter feed confirmed it's fake.

anyway.. might be time for l4d3.. so they can finally apply decent match making, anti rage quit penalties, don't mess up balance and polish the thing instead of rushing it out like last time.
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby ScarT on Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:00 pm

"Source 2" won't really be anything cool. It'll be a Qt based Hammer like editor that runs on all supported platforms. Modders will get vScript and the entity system will be the same. VGUI is still a thing.

Also before anyone else posts it

Very likely fake.
ScarT

Postby Xyos212 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:07 pm

Armageddon, I hope to god its model based honestly! I love source, but the way you construct brushes, and the way the engine works is just so frustrating to work with coming from something like UDK.

I would like to see source handle models and custom content at the level UDK does it, or Cryengine 3. No fumbling with .qc files, simple drag and drop of a .obj file into source. Being able to scale models in the engine like a brush, apply decals to models, paint models like a displacement painting, stuff thats being done on UDK and CE3.

I just wish we would hear something about Half-Life 3 :(
Avatar images are 130x130 - Please refer to the Forum Rules.
Xyos212
Regular
Regular

Postby ScarT on Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:11 pm

There'll probably be plenty of Half-Life 3 references in the first game that's released on Source 2.
ScarT

Postby source-maps on Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:21 pm

gnome knopski with a fur coat
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:42 am

ScarT wrote:"Source 2" won't really be anything cool.

I seriously doubt that.
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Postby Gary on Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:19 pm

I think Source 2 will be a significant improvement over the current engine. But nothing really containing nearly as many features as say; ue4. Though no doubt games built on it will look great just because valve has some really talented artists.

And there's only five games/services on that page because it's probably the only 5 projects that guy cares to track or work on. It's on his private intranet sub domain.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby source-maps on Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:39 pm

I don't expect much, they have fallen so far behind in the last 9 years I doubt they can catch up

hope I'm wrong tho.
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Xyos212 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:40 pm

Look what Respawn did with source, they made Titanfall and the game looks great. Dynamic shadows, nice shaders, good lighting, tons of models, etc.

Hopefully with the new generation of consoles valve sees a reason to finally upgrade the engine. I wont deny that despite its faults and older ways of doing things for the most part Source gets the job done unless your making open worlds, or want more detail.
Avatar images are 130x130 - Please refer to the Forum Rules.
Xyos212
Regular
Regular

Postby Hollow on Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:22 pm

Xyos212 wrote:Look what Respawn did with source, they made Titanfall and the game looks great. Dynamic shadows, nice shaders, good lighting, tons of models, etc.

Hopefully with the new generation of consoles valve sees a reason to finally upgrade the engine. I wont deny that despite its faults and older ways of doing things for the most part Source gets the job done unless your making open worlds, or want more detail.

Personally, I wasn't as blown away by Titanfall visually, as much as everyone else seems to be. Considering the devs said they implemented lots of new code, making it multi-threaded & it being DX11 enabled, it's only a minor improvement over CSGO. After watching all the videos in scrutiny, dynamic lighting was still only limited to the sun's environment lighting, all indoor sections were lightmapped. Though there were lots of models, I still spotted obvious brushwork and stock Source particle effects (dat fire explosion). Shaders like SSAO can help disguise brushwork by softening the edges, but everything still looked pretty angular.

I think what made the game look impressive were the animations & fluidity of the gameplay (not exactly an engine specific feature). Also it had some decent skyboxes.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Next

Return to General Discussion