Level Design Walkthrough - Start to Finish - WIP Corridor

Reveal what you have made so far and get feedback on development.

Re: Level Design Walkthrough - Start to Finish - WIP Corrido

Postby Niitaayis on Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:21 am

-Snip-

Wrong button again

heh, klutz of the forums :(
Niitaayis

Postby LordDz on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:28 am

Pretty sure you can remove your posts yourself..
Next to the Edit button, there is a X. :)

Yeah. But once someone posts after you, it goes away. Though, you can always ask a member of staff (preferably a global mod, not someone like Blink or Z@C) to remove a post/thread. [Added to LordDz post as not to cause further derailment.] -Gary
Last edited by LordDz on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Teh Frog on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:29 am

Looking really, really nice. I get the run-down hospital / asylum vibe from this. Really nice. I love the idea of the turned over lamp casing a light_spot down the hallway. It lights the room just right and adds to the player's natural psyche that, "Okay, there's a light pointing down there. Probably means I should go down there... but that's dark aside from the one specific light... I don't want to go down there but I know it's my only option. *Deep Breath* Aaaaaaaand go!"
The most important thing I've learned as a mapper is to treat a map as a player, as if you didn't make it. As if you're playing it as a player and not as the creator. You have to think, "Okay, what will clue the player in on where he/she is supposed to go? What atmosphere am I setting in this map and how can I convey the goal to the player without making it too obvious or too intrusive? How can I trick their brain into inherently knowing where to go without directly telling them while still keeping the tone of ominous confusion?" It's all about knowing what the player will be feeling at that specific time and place and knowing how to move them along without putting a sign that says, "Hey, head down here, dumbass!" :p
You did a really good job of that, even if you didn't know you were doing so. The open room with the slight funnel into that one hallway suggest the player should go there, the light pointing down that hallway suggest that they should go there, and the little arrow decal on the wall also suggest the same.
I noticed that the hallway has a branch. If you intend for a player to go into one of these hallways, may I suggest some type of indicator? Maybe an ajar door that's just barely visible from the viewpoint of the light, heightening the players need to explore or maybe some sort of green exit light which won't overly stand out but be enough to draw the player away from the current scene?
Man, I love playing with the psychological state of the player and knowing how to trick them into going where I want them to go. :)
Sorry if this is really long, I just love discussing map development. :)
Contrary to popular belief, I am not actually a frog.
Teh Frog
Regular
Regular

Postby Niitaayis on Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:08 pm

Teh Frog wrote:Looking really, really nice. I get the run-down hospital / asylum vibe from this. Really nice. I love the idea of the turned over lamp casing a light_spot down the hallway. It lights the room just right and adds to the player's natural psyche that, "Okay, there's a light pointing down there. Probably means I should go down there... but that's dark aside from the one specific light... I don't want to go down there but I know it's my only option. *Deep Breath* Aaaaaaaand go!"
The most important thing I've learned as a mapper is to treat a map as a player, as if you didn't make it. As if you're playing it as a player and not as the creator. You have to think, "Okay, what will clue the player in on where he/she is supposed to go? What atmosphere am I setting in this map and how can I convey the goal to the player without making it too obvious or too intrusive? How can I trick their brain into inherently knowing where to go without directly telling them while still keeping the tone of ominous confusion?" It's all about knowing what the player will be feeling at that specific time and place and knowing how to move them along without putting a sign that says, "Hey, head down here, dumbass!" :p
You did a really good job of that, even if you didn't know you were doing so. The open room with the slight funnel into that one hallway suggest the player should go there, the light pointing down that hallway suggest that they should go there, and the little arrow decal on the wall also suggest the same.
I noticed that the hallway has a branch. If you intend for a player to go into one of these hallways, may I suggest some type of indicator? Maybe an ajar door that's just barely visible from the viewpoint of the light, heightening the players need to explore or maybe some sort of green exit light which won't overly stand out but be enough to draw the player away from the current scene?
Man, I love playing with the psychological state of the player and knowing how to trick them into going where I want them to go. :)
Sorry if this is really long, I just love discussing map development. :)

Teh frog

I wish I bumped into more passionate people like you
We have the exact same thought styles when it comes to development

What you outlined here is exactly what went through my mind when I built this scene, and thanks to your excitement, it's motivation to continue this project :D

This may sound ambitious, but when I first started working on this project, I had in mind a few scripts that would fire once the player nears the hallway. Now that I'm completely satisfied with how the opening scene is laid out, I can begin work on scripting and even finer details (dustmotes and glares anyone?)

A zombie or something would run past the light there in the hallway, giving a small glimpse
Once the thing runs by, a light will flicker on in the direction it went, and once the player actually goes to investigate, the room is barren and empty.

I've done the same thing on my of my previous projects
It's in video format, pictures don't do justice when it comes to pure ambiance.

Update

Made some progress, changed the lighting scheme a bit, fixed the light drawing too far and added dustmotes

Failed medical experiment anyone?
(blue light way in the back flickers, only shows up on the first screenshot)

Keep in mind the new area is extremely rough right now
I just want to see what it would look like in-game
c&c welcome

And with that, I think I might have to put it on hold again
Niitaayis

Postby Teh Frog on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:45 pm

Wow man, that's looking really nice. Like, really nice. I like the whole zombie thing. I don't know much about the whole AI scripting events thing, but I love developing maps. Know any good tutorials on scripted events?
Teh Frog
Regular
Regular

Postby Teh Frog on Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:47 am

Almost a year later, any news? :D
Teh Frog
Regular
Regular

Previous

Return to Under Construction