I'm back after 7 years..

Any aspects of level design for the Source engine.

I'm back after 7 years..

Postby Lee.Cook on Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:24 am

first of all... IT'S GREAT TO SEE THAT INTERLOPERS IS STILL GOING STRONG.

Last time I was here was 2006!

Hello all, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I have installed Half Life 2 again and the Source SDK, but I am facing issues running my map from the Hammer editor.

Install HL2 > Play it > Install Source SDK > Create a mod on the Source 2006 engine (modify HL2 SP) > Hammer editor <> Make a map then hit F9 to run my map..

For some bizzare reason it's looking for hl2 in the steamapps\common folder rather than steamapps\[username] and as a result it fails to launch hl2.exe, I have tried changing the config to point to the correct folder but then it launches hl2.exe and gives an error message, saying it cant find background01.vmf.

Have things changed since 2006 :) ? Can anyone point me in the right direction, my aim is start making maps again for HL2 only, I don't want to mess up my HL2 game in anyway, so I used to make my own mod and go from there. but now it appears I cant do that?

Sorry if I am being a little bit vague, any help would be brilliant!

Thanks
Regards,
Lee.
Lee.Cook

Re: I'm back after 7 years..

Postby Armageddon on Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:48 am

Welcome back.

HL2 moved to the common folder earlier this year. Source 2006 is invalid and so is the SDK. Now you have to run Hammer.exe from your SDK Base 2013 SP/Bin folder which is in common you can also download SDK Base 2013 from the Steam Tools tab. If you want to compile a mod search for the Source 2013 GitHub and download and compile it.

Happy mapping!
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Lee.Cook on Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:56 am

Thanks Armageddon,

That's cleared alot up for me! I will try later on after work and let you know if I have any issues, am I launching hammer.exe or hammer.bat from the bin folder? and would you advise that I download Source SDK Base 2013?
Regards,
Lee.
Lee.Cook

Postby Armageddon on Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:28 am

Hammer.exe. Also you have to download the 2013 Base to make maps, Singleplayer only though.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Lee.Cook on Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:40 am

Thanks, expect a map soon.
Regards,
Lee.
Lee.Cook

Postby Lee.Cook on Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:35 pm

Problems!

OK I launched hammer.exe from the hl2 folder and can run my map by selecting the sourcetest configuration, but when my map runs and i close hl2 it crashes out, hammer is laggy as hell, i cant select individual brush faces using ctrl it selects the entire brush, ctrl h does not work for hollow. I made a breakable window brush and tied it to func breakable and my glass will not break with health 1, when o fire my gun from my 360 controller it continuously fires the weapon.

I never remember hammer being this much of a pain in the ass...

any thoughts ??"frustrated...
Regards,
Lee.
Lee.Cook

Postby Armageddon on Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:00 pm

In common there should be a folder called Source Base 2013 Singleplayer. Within that is a bin folder. Inside that folder there should be the proper hammer.exe to use. Also I've given up completely on letting hammer run the game for me so I just compile without running the game and then open it up in Steam instead.

Not sure what the func_breakable or 360 controller thing is doing.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Lee.Cook on Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:52 pm

Hi Armageddon,

The 360 control thing was odd, I unplugged it and used my mouse and all worked fine, which is strange because in game HL2 the 360 controller works fine!

I am able to run my map by launching Source Base 2013 then running 'map [mapname]' but for some reason when I compile the map, it's not saving the changes and i'm not sure where the Source Base loads it's maps from??
Regards,
Lee.
Lee.Cook

Postby ErikKiller on Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:31 pm

Yeah, don't use Base 2013 to play, just use the Hammer from there. Depending on the game you're editing, move the .BSP's into the 'maps' folder of the game. It's a bit annoying but hey...

Also, welcome back!
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Lee.Cook on Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:38 pm

Thanks!

I've got it working, a complete Steam re-install and using Source SDK Base 2013 to run my maps, I compile the maps then from the console (in game) I run my map, it works but it's a pain!

The main issue I have is that in Hammer, I cannot (for some reason) select a single face of a brush, so if I create a nodraw brush and want to coat one side with a glass texture, it won't let me! it will select the entire brush, any ideas? I've registered on the Valve SDK forums but they haven't approved my membership yet :(

Thanks once again gentlemen!
Regards,
Lee.
Lee.Cook

Postby Lee.Cook on Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:00 pm

Please forgive my noobish ways, i realised that you cant select a single face until you open the face edit sheet
.. Duh!
Regards,
Lee.
Lee.Cook

Postby ErikKiller on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:45 am

I bet you felt silly when you realised that.
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Lee.Cook on Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:08 pm

ErikKiller wrote:I bet you felt silly when you realised that.

Yes indeed.
Regards,
Lee.
Lee.Cook

Postby Jeeves on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:30 am

^^nice bot, very nice. Sentient AI?, Helios.?
Undue Punishment : 'An experimental FP Fighting game with stealth elements. ' -- TBD
Torn : 'A First Person RTS ' -- In Development as of 03/2014
Jeeves
Regular
Regular

Postby shawnolson on Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:12 am

Well I'd love to see you venturing an attempt at returning to map-making inside 3ds Max with Wall Worm. I've been madly turning Max into a level editor for quite some time now. And Max doesn't suffer from the frequently random outages where Valve updates something and you can't map for a few days thing!

I've got some new goodies sponsored by Mr. Briscoe of Dear Esther coming in the next week or two as well... so I really hope some of you mappers start exploring the world of Wall Worm.

:)
Technical Artist for Black Mesa
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Return to Hammer Editor Help