Steam Controller Demonstration

Comment on the news articles here.

Steam Controller Demonstration

Postby Blink on Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:31 pm

Over on the Valve YouTube channel, there is a newly uploaded video demonstrating the new Steam Controller with some different games, including Portal and Counter-Strike:

Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Re: Steam Controller Demonstration

Postby SM Sith Lord on Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:50 pm

Cool seeing it used, but seems like the video is geared towards people who have never used a controller on PC before. We already know the different ways you can bind buttons. Usually FPS games have a much better Joystick mode to use than mapping the left stick to WASD and it ends up as a hybrid of joystick inputs and keyboard mapped inputs in the end.
SM Sith Lord
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby nub on Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:16 am

I'd love to see how Dark Souls would perform with this thing. So far it's looking pretty good though. I'll probably pick one of these up when it's out.

Also...was anyone else expecting it to be way bigger than it appears to be in the video?
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Ale on Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:51 pm

Color me impressed. Looks incredibly fluid!
Ale
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Knights on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:05 am

I too am impressed after this video demonstration... I'd like to actually try it now in person... I have my doubts though with FPS games the speed of a mouse can't be beat a mouse unless there's some sort of auto aim help...
Random gallery... Knights_Stuff.
Home page --> http://www.knights.interlopers.net/
Knights
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Dives on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:47 am

Of course, the Steam Controller isn't supposed to replace your keyboard and mouse. Its to replace traditional controllers for your living room/couch environment. It certainly looks a lot more precise than analog sticks.
Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby nub on Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:31 am

I'm more curious about how much this thing is going to cost. 360 and PS3 game pads were originally $60, which is pretty damn expensive already. The prices have since dropped $10-15, for obvious reasons. Considering the final product is going to have a touch screen in the center that's fully programmable, I imagine that's going to raise the price a bit. And the way they described the tech behind the touch pads also sounds pricy. We'll see though.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jeeves on Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:29 am

I have a feeling that it may be possible in the near future to extrapolate a value for an 'intended' crosshair
position based on the movement speed/pressure of the user's finger across part of the track pad. If that's possible it could make mouse and keyboard obsolete for gaming.
Undue Punishment : 'An experimental FP Fighting game with stealth elements. ' -- TBD
Torn : 'A First Person RTS ' -- In Development as of 03/2014
Jeeves
Regular
Regular

Return to Site News