Aspire to Design - World Sculpting

Interlopers Portfolio section.

Portfolio rating

3.00 out of 5 (1 ratings)

You must be registered and logged in to rate a portfolio!

Aspire to Design - World Sculpting

Postby Kronophonix on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:29 pm

Name: Spencer "Kronophonix" Leigh
Links: DeviantArt

Me, Myself, & I
a short story

I am a fiddler, tinkerer, and experimental by heart. In 2004 I started teaching myself design programs such as Dreamweaver and Photoshop to make personal websites for game clans. In '07 I stumbled upon Garry's Mod which allowed for so much exploration in game design that I took up coding and mapping into my self taught endeavor. Since then I have partially finished many levels, website templates, and even had successful gaming communities.

What I want out of the things I spent my spare time learning is to create something timeless that no matter how advanced games and graphics get, people will remember it. Whether it was the art, the flow, the drama, or the play value, aspects of games that are memorable make way for better games in the future.

Some day I will be a level designer, logo & branding artist, or website designer. I aspire to design.

Rough & Polished
these are my works

Hammer Editor

Project Bioshock Rehash

This was a project I took on when Garry's Mod did not include any other games except Half Life 2. The purpose of the project was to recreate the type of environmental feel Bioshock had, while only using textures from HL2 and brushwork. There are little to no models used, specifically all brushes, some converted in Propper.

*note: lighting, brushwork, details all unfinished.

____The last two images show the underwater effect I achieved. ( may not look so good in the screenshot, but the effect was realistic ) This was done using func_dustmotes in combination with func_dustclouds.
____I used the func_dustcloud to simulate the murky effect of looking out into a deep sea, and set the speed of the clouds low because you shouldn't see much motion from a large body of water.
____The func_dustmotes will represented small dirt and other particles floating around catching light so I set the speed of this slightly higher than that of the dust cloud. It should look like little particles are floating around a deep ocean view, if done correctly.
____Textures with reflections for underwater rock formations can help atmosphere even more, although you wouldn't see wetness on rock underwater, it helps the feel. Play with the colors for desired effect, but try to keep the dust motes a brighter color than that of the dust clouds.

Realistic Underwater Tutorial
coming soon...

Project Postnuke

I started building this map for a team that was working with a post nuclear roleplay mod. It was going to be a secluded town that survived a nuclear blast. It needed to be minimalist so as not to be too hard to render. Keeping that in mind I wasn't allowed to go all out on detail. This is a building from that project.

This portfolio is a working project, I will add to it regularly...
Kronophonix
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: Aspire to Design - World Sculpting

Postby wereMole on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:33 pm

Underwater effect looks great! I can reckognise rapture in your creation but the real Rapture is really gloomy and in a state of decay and chaos. It looks rather clean in those screenshots.
wereMole
Regular
Regular

Postby Kronophonix on Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:26 am

wereMole wrote:Underwater effect looks great! I can reckognise rapture in your creation but the real Rapture is really gloomy and in a state of decay and chaos. It looks rather clean in those screenshots.

Yea I was going for rapture before the decay. I guess I should change the description to state that.
Kronophonix
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby AnnieDennis on Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:11 am

Did the rapture really work? Is there any other method to do this?

Last edited by AnnieDennis on Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnnieDennis
Just Joined
Just Joined

Postby Dr Evil on Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:40 pm

Very nice work
Dr Evil
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Return to Portfolios