StudioHelper - A user-friendly interface for StudioMDL

Discuss the industry, development techniques and other general topics

StudioHelper - A user-friendly interface for StudioMDL

Postby Broodrooster on Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:34 pm

Hi guys,

I might have been working on something useful in the last few days. Coming back to the Source engine after working with UDK and CryEngine, i remembered how complicated it was to work with the tools provided. So as a a learning experience for myself, i started working on a Graphical interface for StudioMDL in Java, and today i present to you the results! Please note that this is a very early alpha version and mainly serves as a test.

It would be cool to hear what you guys think, is this app useful, and did it even work? All error reports and feature requests are much appreciated!

About the app
StudioHelper will allow you to compile your Source models by simply dragging and dropping the required files, and ticking the right checkboxes. It is also an experiment on creating applications that complete some complicated tasks with as few clicks and interface options/buttons/input fields as possible, all while maintaining a friendly interface.

Features
  • Compile your models with a minimum required amount of typing
  • No pre-configuration required, just select the game you want to compile for, and press next
  • Simply drag and drop your model files on the associated fields
  • Will tell you which materials are needed for your model, and where to place them
  • See the amount of materials and triangles used for your model
  • Never type a .qc file again

Future plans
If you guys consider this tool useful, i will continue developing it to a point where you can easily compile any model with as many advanced options as possible. All while keeping usability in mind, meaning no unnecessary questions asked.

Requirements
A Windows computer
Java 7
A Source engine game
At least one 3D model in SMD format

Download
http://fbe.am/tSA
Broodrooster
Regular
Regular

Re: StudioHelper - A user-friendly interface for StudioMDL

Postby ScarT on Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:44 pm

Nice if you're not that experienced with commandline tools but Java? No thanks.
ScarT

Postby Armageddon on Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:57 pm

Good work, looks pretty spiffy.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby plagueofburia on Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:32 pm

Hi, Broodrooster, anything that can help get models into hammer would be appreciated by me.
plagueofburia
Regular
Regular

Postby nub on Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:43 am

ScarT wrote:Nice if you're not that experienced with commandline tools but Java? No thanks.

What's wrong with Java?

I would have loved to have this when I was making props and stuff. Would have made my life way easier. GUIStudioMDL was a pain in the ass sometimes, and I'm terrible with command line. I honestly don't see why anyone would use command line when GUI is a thing.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Text_Fish on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:51 am

The advantage of Command Line over GUI is that you develop a more intimate understanding of the inner workings of whatever you're trying to do.

I still always go for GUI myself because I'm a sucker for ease of use, but I am aware that as a result there are often some pretty big holes in my knowledge of various IT subjects -- knowledge that would better equip me to learn even more new things, without having to wait for some generous soul to come along and make a GUI.

This thing looks cool Broodrooster, I'mma try it tonight.
Mappers Top Tip #548
Lighting: The arrangement, hue and intensity of one or multiple light sources.
Lightning: A dazzling discharge of electric sparks in the atmosphere, often preceding thunder.
Text_Fish
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby kraid on Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:04 am

I'd prefer a faster workflow over deeper understanding the relics of game development in the late 90s.
Goldeneye Source v4.2.3
get it now and play for FREE!!!
http://www.goldeneyesource.net
kraid
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby ScarT on Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:43 pm

nub wrote:What's wrong with Java?

Java is literally made by Satan himself. It comes bundled with ASK.COM toolbars each update. The programming language is terrible (that's a personal preference though). The web plugin that's forced on you when you install Java is riddled with critical exploits.
http://java-0day.com/. The previous record is 87 days which is scary.

And yeah sure, Java works on almost everything but so does anal sex but that doesn't mean its a good thing for everyone.
ScarT

Postby zombie@computer on Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:34 pm

ScarT wrote:And yeah sure, Java works on almost everything but so does anal sex but that doesn't mean its a good thing for everyone.
lol
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Stormy on Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:01 am

Looks nice. I compiled a prop that gave me an error but your alert box said it compiled successfully. But I was doing stuff I shouldn't have. Are you going to have the option to load other mods and games? The gameinfo.txt should have all the info you need, right?

Also some things are easier to write out or copy paste into the .qc file, can you have an option to edit the .qc directly? It would be easier to do this in the program itself than have to change to the generated .qc file in notepad. I like the tool so far, I'll use it a bit more and report back.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Return to Game Development