Wall Worm 2.0 has Arrived

Modelling, Textures, Animating and other general engine asset topics.

Wall Worm 2.0 has Arrived

Postby shawnolson on Sat May 03, 2014 7:14 pm

Hard to believe I've been working on Wall Worm for going on four years!

Well it's about time I started transitioning a lot of the tools to work more streamlined. That has been the big focus lately as I've been building WW 2.0. It's now here. It includes many under-the-hood changes and UI tweaks, as well as new features. I release 2.0 a week or two back.

Today I released a new update (WW 2.05) that adds enhances XRef scene support to the various exporters. You can now work on a collaborative project easier using XRef scenes. For some tips on using this feature, please read the Using XRef Scenes for your level thread on the WW forums.

For a complete list of updates, see the WW Changelog.

Here is a video on importing an animated character from a QC file into 3ds Max with WW 2. The SMD/QC importers have been enhanced :

Also, stay tuned for a new book I'm writing called Hammered to the Max: A Hammer User's Guide to 3ds Max.
Technical Artist for Black Mesa
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Re: Wall Worm 2.0 has Arrived

Postby shawnolson on Thu May 08, 2014 3:00 pm

Important bug fix today to fix a recently introduced error with positions of brush entities.

Also, a video on making trains in Max for Source:

shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby shawnolson on Fri May 30, 2014 5:45 am

Added PRT file loading into WW last night. It's in the Level Design > Compile Tools menu.
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby Michael Z. on Fri May 30, 2014 9:19 am

love your work! You and your Plugin are the best!
Michael Z.

Postby shawnolson on Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:11 pm

Michael Z. wrote:love your work! You and your Plugin are the best!

Thanks! :)
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby WhiteDevil on Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:32 pm

I gotta say thanks a lot for this tool! Once you get used to the UI it's frigging awesome. Everything about modeling for source what once was tedious work with the command line tools and whatever the fuck you had to deal with before.

You pretty much forget how shitty it was before since once you get everything set up, it's just one click and you got your model in game.
WhiteDevil
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby shawnolson on Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:50 pm

WhiteDevil wrote:I gotta say thanks a lot for this tool! Once you get used to the UI it's frigging awesome. Everything about modeling for source what once was tedious work with the command line tools and whatever the fuck you had to deal with before.

You pretty much forget how shitty it was before since once you get everything set up, it's just one click and you got your model in game.

You are welcome.

I apologize for any frustration in the UI... I've tried to clean it up a lot over the last year as well as always give functions tool tips when hovering over buttons, spinners, etc. Or also adding Help links. Some of the quirks are that the toolset has always been a work in progress where I've added functions as I learned both Source and Max programming tools/functions/techniques. Were I to start from scratch now, the system might be different... but I've got no incentive to start over :)

Regarding the setup... using the Settings Import function should make it mainly painless now (in WW settings you click Import and browse for your mod's GameConfig.txt if it has one and most paths get imported).

Also, there was a significant update today that addresses various SMD importer issues and adds extra functionality for WW Entities and WWMT Proxies. This requires updating your FGD cache in the global settings after you run the update. More information is here.

Also, I've significantly updated Hammered to the Max: A Hammer User's Guide to 3ds Max in the last couple of weeks. Much of the revision is on the chapter on world/brush geometry in Max.
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Return to Art Creation