The Simple Questions Thread.

Any aspects of level design for the Source engine.

Re: The Simple Questions Thread.

Postby Riomaki on Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:29 pm

Because I know nothing about CSGO - is colorizing props a feature that was introduced in CSGO? I haven't heard about it before.
Riomaki
Regular
Regular

Postby [KIRBY] on Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:32 pm

Its in L4D2 as well
[KIRBY]
Regular
Regular

Postby awesome24712 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:40 pm

I've been looking for a program called dispgen to turn a hightmap into a displacement in a vmf. But all the links I find to download it are dead. Does anyone know where else I could get it? Thanks!
awesome24712
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby [KIRBY] on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:21 pm

http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=8

Nem's generator is what you need, it allows you to import heightmaps and export them as map files that contain displacements
[KIRBY]
Regular
Regular

Postby awesome24712 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:32 pm

Alright thanks for the help man! I'll report back if I run into any more problems.
awesome24712
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Major Banter on Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:19 pm

Trying to make a Hunter execute a jump from one place to another. I have no idea if this is even possible, but I have the hints and nodes set up correctly, with a scripted_sequence to motivate it to move, but no dice. Just spawns in, and stands around.

How do?
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby sloprano on Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:18 am

Try using the console command "hunter_allow_nav_jump 1".

The above command appears to only affect Hunters navigation through scripting, in combat they seem be fully capable of jumping without being given permission first.

Edit: I didn't properly test this and now I see the above is wrong. After more testing it seems like the only time the command is needed is when the Hunter has a "Target Path Corner" assigned. Otherwise it appears to be perfectly capable of frolicking between hint nodes on it's own.

I apologize for any misinformation.
Last edited by sloprano on Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
sloprano

Postby Riomaki on Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:55 pm

Enemies will sometimes refuse to make the jump if they would take damage doing it. Have you tried swapping the Hunter for a different NPC and see if they jump as expected?

I've successfully had Hunters jump down from 128 tall ledges in the past. Are we talking about a Fast Zombie jumping from roof-to-roof scenario here, or something more basic? I have my doubts that one could get too exotic with Hunters, given that Valve wound up doing a lot of canned animations for their appearances at the start of Ep2. :)
Riomaki
Regular
Regular

Postby Major Banter on Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:27 pm

This is what I thought, but I found the dynamics animations for jumping, so I thought I'd give it a crack. I'll try to refine the scene tonight and send some pictures if I still can't get it working.

Edit: I can't get even a 128 drop going, let alone the 192x128 jump I was after. Any help?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4384889/hunter_jump_test2.vmf
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Riomaki on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:49 am

I got this to work and sent you the result - hopefully you'll receive it.

All I did was:
  • Removed the hunter_allow_nav_jump 1. You don't need it.
  • Adjusted your path nodes so they were all above ground, as well as removed excess nodes. There are about half as many nodes now and they are all ~24 units above the ground, give or take. I also moved the topmost jump node back from the edge slightly.
  • Changed your scripted_sequence to not disable gravity.

The gravity thing threw me for a loop because I managed to get the Hunter to jump, but he never came back down! It took me a while to track that down. :shock:
Riomaki
Regular
Regular

Postby ErikKiller on Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:38 am

Riomaki wrote:The gravity thing threw me for a loop because I managed to get the Hunter to jump, but he never came back down! It took me a while to track that down. :shock:

lol
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Major Banter on Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:26 am

Yeah I'm pretty sure you can tell I got desperate. Thanks Riomaki- I haven't received anything on Steam or PM though.

The gravity thing was a hoot; I tried it with a citizen and, well, it was entertaining

edit: I got it working myself. Well that was embarrassing.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Riomaki on Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:30 pm

I sent it to your Yahoo UK account that was on your Carbonmade. I'm sure it was pretty easy to reproduce it yourself though. :)
Riomaki
Regular
Regular

Postby Riomaki on Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:12 pm

I'd like to have a npc_zombie_torso (or fast zombie torso) that surprises the player by coming to life and attacking them. The problem is, as far as I can tell, neither torso has animations for sitting still - all the idles have noise in them.

My first thought for an alternative was to have a prop version of the torso and then swap to the NPC version when the player wasn't looking - but is there a better way to do this with just the npc_zombie_torso itself? Maybe some wake state or flag I'm not thinking of? Maybe some built-in choreo scene?
Riomaki
Regular
Regular

Postby Major Banter on Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:20 pm

I'm in Hammer at the moment so I had a quick look. I couldn't come up with anything apart from using the ragdoll animation in a looped scripted sequence - though the way it looks in Hammer there may be a significant spazz-out on transfer to normal idle animations.

Aside from that, the not-looking thing is what I'd do. They're such a basic enemy, and really only designed to be encountered when you've got sawblades to hand.

On that note, I guess you could always try a trigger_hurt or similar to chop a normal zombie in half - though getting the numbers right could be a real pain.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Hammer Editor Help