Hello Interlopers

New to the community? Give us a big wave.

Hello Interlopers

Postby GrudgeG1est on Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:09 pm

Hello there, I'm a moderately experienced mapper. Started with Build when I was 13.
Not too much in my portfolio, unfortunately things got wiped/lost or never really finished.
Having a bit of success with Source, and trying to get a map base together.

Keen to meet like-minded mappers who remember what it's all about.
Especially keen on meeting Aucklanders. I feel like the only guy out here. :smt041

I'll be around probably posting occasionally. Cheers to all you Interlopers :D
GrudgeG1est
Just Joined
Just Joined

Re: Hello Interlopers

Postby LordDz on Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:11 pm

Either join the chat on the steam group or join the discord for source mappers:
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/interlopers
http://www.runthinkshootlive.com/posts/ ... rd-server/

This site is populated by me who checks it when I forget that it's dead and bots.
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Gary on Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:16 pm

LordDz wrote:This site is populated by me who checks it when I forget that it's dead and bots.

Hey, I sometimes come by to clear out bots and see who's still alive.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Dr Evil on Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:18 pm

Oh wow... activity!

Welcome to our corner of the interwebz :smt041
Dr Evil
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby [Steve] on Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:46 pm

Gary wrote:
LordDz wrote:This site is populated by me who checks it when I forget that it's dead and bots.

Hey, I sometimes come by to clear out bots and see who's still alive.

Haha as do I, albeit not as frequently as I would like these days.
[Steve]
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Blink on Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:02 pm

:smt039
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby MayheM on Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:19 pm

I haven'y opened Hammer in about a year but I still come here at least twice a week to see if there is anything going on. I blame the lack of traffic on valve's inability to release HL3 and the subsequent engine.

All that aside, my brain still thinks like a mapper. Every day on my drive home I think about my unfinished maps and how I want to go back and finish them.
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Smurftyours on Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:27 pm

MayheM wrote:I haven'y opened Hammer in about a year but I still come here at least twice a week to see if there is anything going on. I blame the lack of traffic on valve's inability to release HL3 and the subsequent engine.

All that aside, my brain still thinks like a mapper. Every day on my drive home I think about my unfinished maps and how I want to go back and finish them.

Did you make sure to set the keys and values correctly on your kid? Else he might have bad outputs and crash his engine bro.
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby Dr Evil on Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:13 pm

I still pop in from time to time. but I havent opened hammer in well over a year either. Although I do have some things I've been sketching out :)
Dr Evil
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby MayheM on Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:42 pm

Smurftyours wrote:
MayheM wrote:I haven'y opened Hammer in about a year but I still come here at least twice a week to see if there is anything going on. I blame the lack of traffic on valve's inability to release HL3 and the subsequent engine.

Did you make sure to set the keys and values correctly on your kid? Else he might have bad outputs and crash his engine bro.

If he is learning from me, I can assure you there will be bad output errors.

slightly off topic but related to crashing server, years ago I built a CS Source remake of an old CS 1.6 map. I made some additions to it and one area had some vents. I added fans every so often in the vents for visual aesthetics. When I was ready to test it out, my friends and I jumped in a server. I was giving my first a tour and we ended up in the vents, hot to the fan and for some reason he was driven to jump into the fan blades. CRASH!!!! The server took a dump and came down hard. Turned out he found an area where I did not put a clip brush and when he hit the func_rotate brush it caused the crash. Lesson learned...
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jman on Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:59 am

Yeah even though we've been low traffic for years I still check this site all the time.

I've personally moved onto more general non-source game development and I feel a void left in that sort of thing that this site used to fill. Reddit and such are just too impersonal for my tastes, lacks any real community feeling.
Jman
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Ennui on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:08 pm

I miss the old days!
Ennui
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby MayheM on Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:08 pm

Jman wrote:I've personally moved onto more general non-source game development and I feel a void left in that sort of thing that this site used to fill. Reddit and such are just too impersonal for my tastes, lacks any real community feeling.

Yeah I think there is something about level design for something with so many limitations. For me, I was constantly trying to make things that had not been done before and push the limits of the source engine. I miss it all the time, but then again have very little time to do anything. Most of my creative efforts have been directed towards building projects for the house like this table...

I did actually build my house in Hammer in the attempt to plan out the landscaping for my backyard. :D
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Dr Evil on Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:13 pm

Very nice table!

And I also have been using hammer to plan out landscaping ideas.. Which is surprisingly very usefull...i'll post some pictures later :)
Dr Evil
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby MayheM on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:20 pm

Dr Evil wrote:Very nice table!

And I also have been using hammer to plan out landscaping ideas.. Which is surprisingly very usefull...i'll post some pictures later :)

Thanks, the wife and I rather enjoy it.

But yeah, Hammer has come in handy on numerous occasions using it for things outside of level design. It cool to know someone else had the idea to use it like I did. Great minds think alike I guess...
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Next

Return to Introduction Time