Understanding .VMF Files

Tutorial collection, comprehensive listings on main site.

Understanding .VMF Files

Postby Tutorial on Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:54 pm

category
Miscellaneous

description
earn to write and modify your custom VMF files under notepad.

keywords
understand, understanding, vmf, file, files, vmfs.

Once in a time, you may end up with a fubarred map. for instance, when getting the "out of memory loading solids, error 7" error or hammer keeps freezing on loading your map. Its times like that when you need to go back to basic and enter the stone age of Microsoft.

Its times like that when you can really use knowledge about how a .vmf-file looks like, and how you can manipulate (e.g. repair it)

TOOLS:
we need a simple text-editor, e.g. notepad or wordpad. I prefer notepad because of its increased simplicity, but there are many text-editors you can use. It really doesn't matter, a .vmf-file is nothing more than a text-file in disguise! as long as the text-editor stores bare text (no layout whatsoever) it should be okay. remember to backup before you fuckup!
If you use notepad on windows XP, be sure to familiar yourself with a nice feature it has: it can show you line-numbers. To do that, simply check the "statusbar" option under the "view"-menu (you may need to disable word-warp for that). a bar will appear at the bottom with the line number your cursor is at. This may help you when hammer reports the line-number it encountered an error.
If your notepad doesn't have this function but you need it, I suggest you google for alternative notepads (there's literally tons on them)
If you need to save the map and it asks you to give up a file name, make sure it doesn’t save your map as "mapname.vmf.txt". if it does, simply add quotes around the filename.vmf to stop it from adding .txt

THE FORMAT:
a .vmf file is divided into parts, using brackets. each part starts with a name, and then two brackets enclose its properties

Code: Select all
name of part
{
"valuename" "value"
"valuename" "value"
}

they can even be nested into each other
name of part
{
"valuename" "value"
"valuename" "value"
name of part
   {
   "valuename" "value"
   "valuename" "value"
   }
}

Mind a few things:
-You can add spaces and tabs before any line, and it doesn't matter. It’s simply for making things orderly
-as you can see, quotes and brackets are used to denote endings and beginnings of bits of information. Therefore, it is not allowed to put these kind of symbols in entity names, targets or other values you can specify in hammer. If you do, YOU can do the cleanup in your .vmf MANUALLY.
-sometimes hammer accidentally forgets to place them, and it can't figure out your map (huh, a new entity, but I haven’t closed the old one yet??). Although the parser doesn't recognise these errors (it doesn't know entities can't be a part of entities) it will see your last entity doesn't end, and it will throw an error.
Again, its up to you to find the one bracket hammer forgot. If your map is big, it will take a long time

THE FILE

The vmf file consists of a few parts:
    versioninfo
    visgroups
    world
    entity
    entity
    entity
    cameras
    cordon

versioninfo
{
   "editorversion"  "400"
   "editorbuild" "3057"
   "mapversion" "11"
   "formatversion" "100"
   "prefab" "0"
}

editorversion is the version of hammer, in this case 4.0.0.
editorbuild is a sub-version
mapversion counts how many times your map has been saved over this one
formatversion and prefabversion always seem to have these numbers

as you can see, this part shows nothing useful apart from versionstuff.
In fact, you can delete it entirely and hammer will create a new one, so if you think your error is in here, just delete the entire part.
visgroups
{
   visgroup
   {
      "name" "Auto"
      "visgroupid" "1"
      "color" "234 227 128"
      visgroup
      {
         "name" "Entities"
         "visgroupid" "3"
         "color" "136 105 94"
      }
      visgroup
      {
         "name" "Brush Entities"
         "visgroupid" "4"
         "color" "109 114 107"
      }
      visgroup
      {
         "name" "Detail Brushes"
         "visgroupid" "2"
         "color" "225 86 143"
      }
   }
}
viewsettings
{
   "bSnapToGrid" "1"
   "bShowGrid" "1"
   "nGridSpacing" "1"
   "bShow3DGrid" "0"
}
if you didn't already guess, these two parts hold settings for hammer. of course they are obsolete, and if you delete them completely, hammer will just fetch its default settings for this map. As you can see in the visgroups, this map has one visgroup, named "auto" (I'm sure you've seen it before) and auto has three sub-visgroups, named Entities, Brush entities and Detail Brushes. Each visgroup has it's own id-number, and it's own colour (this options is still not used in hammer). As you can see, each visgroup is nested in it's "master"-visgroup. Thanks to the layout that’s easy to see the viewsettings hold a few settings, nothing important. I'm sure you can guess what each of the four values displayed here resemble

The next part is going to be complicated, that’s why I’ve made a small lay-out as to how you should read it:
entity
{
   "entityvalue" "value"
   "entityvalue" "value"
   connections
   {
      "OnTrigger" "do this" "when that"
      "OnTrigger" "do this" "when that"
   }
   solid
   {
      "lots of names & values"
   }
   editor
   {
      "value" "value"
   }
}

here we see one entity. starting at the top line:
-first the word "entity" marks the next portion inside the brackets is an entity
-then a few lines of properties (you will find targetnames, entity-type (classname), flags, models angles etc. here. e.g.

"classname" "func_detail"
"targetname" "terrorist_compound_door"

point-based entities also have a value called origin, which specifies their exact location x-y-z wise. some brush-based entities have them too!

under a special part are three things:
connections: these are the outputs of the entity: "my output" "target entity, action, parameter, delay, how often"
solid: here are the brushes specified (there can be more than one if there are more than one brushes for the entity)
editor: here is specified which colours the entity has in the editor and to which visgroup it belongs (corresponds to their visgroupid)
you may wonder how the flags are specified, since you can only see one number. well, that’s the splendour of binary digits. the number specified as "flags" is actually a binary number (consisting of 1's and 0's)e.g. 1111111 corresponds to all flags on, 1110000 only has the first three on. the rest is off etc. this number is transformed into a decimal and put into the vmf

world
{
   "entityvalue" "value"
   "entityvalue" "value"
   solid
   {
      "lots of names & values"
   }
}

the "world" entity is the biggest entity in your map. all brushes that do not belong to an entity, belong to the world-entity (hence the "to-world"-button to de-entity a brush). Its properties contain all properties you can specify under "map properties" in hammer, e.g. skybox name and that sort of things. It doesn't have an editor part, because you can't hide an entity that is never visible in your map.(would be pointless... ;) )

a solid looks like this:

solid
   {
      "id" "45"
      side
      {
         "id" "69"
         "plane" "(136 100 192) (-108 100 192) (-108 100 96)"
         "material" "METAL/CITADEL_METALWALL072B"
         "uaxis" "[1 0 0 2.53967] 0.266949"
         "vaxis" "[0 0 -1 312.889] 0.28125"
         "rotation" "0"
         "lightmapscale" "16"
         "smoothing_groups" "0"
      }
      side
      {
         "id" "70"
         "plane" "(136 100 192) (100 64 192) (-108 64 192)"
         "uaxis" "[1 0 0 0] 0.25"
         "vaxis" "[0 -1 0 0] 0.25"
         "rotation" "0"
         "lightmapscale" "16"
         "smoothing_groups" "0"
      }
      side
      {
         "id" "71"
         "plane" "(-108 92 96) (128 92 96) (136 100 96)"
         "uaxis" "[1 0 0 0] 0.25"
         "vaxis" "[0 -1 0 0] 0.25"
         "rotation" "0"
         "lightmapscale" "16"
         "smoothing_groups" "0"
      }
      side
      {
         "id" "72"
         "plane" "(-108 64 192) (-108 64 144) (-108 92 96)"
         "uaxis" "[0 1 0 0] 0.25"
         "vaxis" "[0 0 -1 384] 0.25"
         "rotation" "0"
         "lightmapscale" "16"
         "smoothing_groups" "0"
      }
      side
      {
         "id" "73"
         "plane" "(100 64 144) (100 64 192) (136 100 192)"
         "uaxis" "[0 1 0 0] 0.25"
         "rotation" "0"
         "lightmapscale" "16"
         "smoothing_groups" "0"
      }
      side
      {
         "id" "74"
         "plane" "(100 64 192) (100 64 144) (-108 64 144)"
         "uaxis" "[1 0 0 0] 0.25"
         "rotation" "0"
         "lightmapscale" "16"
         "smoothing_groups" "0"
      }
      editor
      {
         "color" "220 220 220"
         "visgroupshown" "1"
      }
   }

this solid has one id, (for the "go to brush number") and consists of 6 sides, each side has:
-An id
-Three coordinates specifying a plane (what happened to the fourth? I guess it guesses that one)
-The texture name
-Alignments x and y-wise
-Rest is pretty clear
lastly, the standard brush has an "editor"-part to specify its colour and to which visgroup it belongs

any side can also be a displacement:
side
{
         "id" "2696"
         "plane" "(-1320 -936 0) (-1410 -936 0) (-1410 -936 19)"
         "material" "CONCRETE/CONCRETEWALL043A"
         "uaxis" "[1 0 0 -300] 0.25"
         "vaxis" "[0 0 -1 76] 0.25"
         "rotation" "0"
         "lightmapscale" "16"
         "smoothing_groups" "0"
         dispinfo
         {
            "power" "3"
            "startposition" "[-1410 -936 0]"
            "elevation" "0"
            "subdiv" "0"
            normals
            {
               "row0" "0 -1 0 0 -1 0 0 -1 0 0 -1 0 0 -1 0 0 -1 0 0 -1 0 0 -1 0 0 -1 0"

}
            distances
            {
               "row0" "2.48932 2.99426 2.521 1.9306 1.13086 2.38812 1.57935 2.78241 0.740356"

}
            offsets
            {
               "row0" "0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0"

}
            offset_normals
            {
               "row0" "0 -1 0 0 -1 0 0 -1 0 0 -1 0 0 -1 0 0 -1 0 0 -1 0 0 -1 0 0 -1 0"

}
            alphas
            {
               "row0" "0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0"

}
            triangle_tags
            {
               "row0" "0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0"

}
            allowed_verts
            {
               "10" "-1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1"
            }
         }
      }

the only thing different from a normal side is de dispinfo{} part. a lot of numbers, each corresponding to a point on your displacement and its altitude, alpha, offset and whatever is put here (usually more rows than just one, i edited the rest away).
Its a lot of work to repair these, so if you suspect an error here its best to just delete the entire dispinfo{} part.

The last bits are just sad, as small as they are
cameras
{
   "activecamera" "0"
   camera
   {
      "position" "[442.285 552.537 316.251]"
      "look" "[440.549 551.6 315.232]"
   }
}
cordon
{
   "mins" "(99999 99999 99999)"
   "maxs" "(-99999 -99999 -99999)"
   "active" "0"
}

just two bits specifying camera's position and direction, and the settings of the cordon tools (as you can see: cordon tools are always there, but when you don't use them their size is bigger than your map. both of these parts are completely unnecessary.

I think that's enough to know for now, and I wish you all the luck if you read this because your map is broken or you want to try to make maps in notepad because you think hammer sucks balls.

zombie@computer
- Don't send PM's to this user -
Tutorial
Not A Real User

Postby BaRRaKID on Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:37 am

now let's those notepad made maps :P lo0l
I've no sign
BaRRaKID
Veteran
Veteran

Clarification on side plane coordinates

Postby jeffjohnvol on Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:35 pm

the Plane coordinates have 3 positions in space that defines a plane. This plane can go to infinity. The other sides that have their planes defined defines a solid. Even though a cube may have 3 points in the plane definition that defines 3 of the 4 corners, it is coincidence. To find the other corner, you need a plane intersection algorithm. If anyone knows how to do this, I'd love to know. Its not as easy as it looks once the solid goes on an angle.
jeffjohnvol
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby zombie@computer on Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:25 pm

yes, i know, its allmost mind-boggling how hard such an algorith would be
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby jeffjohnvol on Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:01 pm

zombie@computer wrote:yes, i know, its allmost mind-boggling how hard such an algorith would be

I researched it one time, and the math that was referenced was way beyond me. I know geometry, and I know calculus, but some of the math terminology along with the matrice manipulation gave me pause to even attempt it. I did find a site that had some interesting solutions for things similar to this at http://www.gamespp.com .

Another point about the sides, if it is a pie shaped piece (pyramid or whatever), there would be fewer sides, but still 3 points per plane and the intersection algorithm would be what would determine the shape/corners.

Here is some more material: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki ... tion#Plane
jeffjohnvol
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby An1ken on Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:04 pm

Think of it if we didn't have GUI interfaces and needed to compile like this!!!!

[color=red]One sig image please[/red]
I LOVE MAPPING!!:)
An1ken

Re: Understanding .VMF Files

Postby ThorSummoner on Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:20 pm

i sure hope your tutorial proves accurate, i haven't had time to read it yet but i intend to start into a rather ambitious project;
you may know of a program knows as Blender3d (http://www.blender.org),
Well my plan is to make maps in blender due to the recent hammer updates causing the interface to become intolerably slow.
My current idea stems from the idea of first importing a .vmf file to blender to see how blender will need to be handled to export .vmf, files without cashes.
I know this idea sounds fairly silly, but Blender has a limitless open interface, i can just use a Terra-gen script to make realistic land in seconds opposed to sculpting land by hand.
if there is any interest in helping me with this project,
please drop me an email at:
thorsummoner@live.com
ThorSummoner
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby coder0xff on Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:26 am

You could try one of the existing third party tools. Check out a program called microbrush 2. http://shrinker.beyond-veils.de/projects/Microbrush2/
coder0xff
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jacc0s on Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:13 pm

Hi, I got this error "out of memory loading solids" error 7. Looked into your error list, and found you could replace .#INF
I checked my map and searched the line where it gave me the error. And saw a few brushes had #QNAN in its coordinates. So I replaced all the coordinates with a correct one and loaded the map it told me it couldn't load 1 solid. I looked around my map to see if it's anything missing. My roof apparently I stretched out a grouped brush and that caused the problem. It's all good now!

Edit:

My point was, I couldn't find this fix in your error list.
jacc0s

Postby LordDz on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:07 pm

Nothing says that you're hardcore more than coding in notepad.
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby SM Sith Lord on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:58 pm

I wrote a console command once that would load a VMF (they are just KeyValues files) and extract all entities that were on a certain layer of the VMF, then spawn those entities in the current map at the same location. When I first opened the VMF in notepad and it actually loaded, I was so stoked.
SM Sith Lord
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Return to Tutorials