Video tutorials require XviD codec to run.
You will also require 7-zip.
Beginners Video Guide
This section is dedicated to those level designers who are brand new to the editing process. These 4 fully narrated videos will take you through creating your first room, adding some interactivity and then playing it in HL2.
- Part One (11MB)
- Overview of the Hammer interface and using the Brush tool to create a basic and featureless box room.
- Part Two (15MB)
- How to use the Texture Application tool to select and apply various textures to the room surfaces.
- Part Three (19MB)
- Adding player and weapon entities via the Entity Tool and including props such as light fixtures and barrels.
- Part Four (16MB)
- Converting your map into the BSP format via the compile process. A look at what leaks are and how to solve them is also covered.
- 3D Skybox (25MB)
- Looks at the theory and the most efficient way of creating the Skybox geometry.
- Arches (11MB)
- Creating an 8 sided arch with Carve and Vertex Tool use.
- Assault (14MB)
- Using the Assault entities to move an NPC soldier from one point to another whilst engaging enemies. Trigger setup and Input/Outputs are also used.
- Connecting Two Rooms (43MB)
- Using a corridor to connect two square rooms. Also covers using the Clip tool, the Vertex tool and adding usable prop doors.
- Curved Corners (10MB)
- Using the Arch Tool to create a curved join between two brushes at right angles.
- Displacement (20MB)
- Explanation of terrain creation with the Displacement tool. Covers Paint Alpha, Smoothing, Sewing and Destroying.
- Math Counter (7MB)
- Triggering an event after a set amount of enemy NPC's have been killed by the player.
- Modelling Basics (38MB)
- Introduction to the 3D Studio Max interface and basic model creation.
- Scripted Sequence (28MB)
- Adding a citizen NPC and using a Scripted Sequence entity to make them walk and open a door. Entity Input/Output system is also explained as well as using trigger entities.
- VisGroups (10MB)
- Covers hiding existing entity groups and creating your own VIS groups.
- Water (8MB)
- Setting up a pool of water in a square room. Cubemap and LOD control entities are also used.