The Interlopers Package V.2

Chat about various topics.

Re: The Interlopers Package V.2

Postby coder0xff on Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:31 am

If it always rains where you live, then take a picture of it raining. Roll around in the mud or something, and have a wrestling match with your best friend - the hammer.
coder0xff
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Phott on Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:42 am

coder0xff wrote:If it always rains where you live, then take a picture of it raining. Roll around in the mud or something, and have a wrestling match with your best friend - the hammer.

And ruin a perfectly fine camera? Makes sense that people wait 'til the rain is gone.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby RefaelBA on Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:54 am

Phott wrote:
coder0xff wrote:If it always rains where you live, then take a picture of it raining. Roll around in the mud or something, and have a wrestling match with your best friend - the hammer.

And ruin a perfectly fine camera? Makes sense that people wait 'til the rain is gone.

Throw in a couple of chicks and it'll be worth it.
RefaelBA

Postby 904 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:56 pm

^ I had that set up, but the abundant sunshine for days ruined that. no rain, no mud...
Design Section Moderator

Postby Penney on Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:35 am

RefaelBA wrote:
Phott wrote:

Throw in a couple of chicks and it'll be worth it.

That's what I was going to do originally, but plans got fouled up :P

EDIT: The Hammer and I and my krew made it to the waterfront last night, I'll be sending it out monday when the post office opens back up.
Penney

Postby 1447 on Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:20 am

Just a heads up, I'll be leaving for vacation in a little less than a month. Between the 2nd and 11th of September I'll be in Barcelona; I don't know if I'll have access to the internet, or even a computer, but even if I have, I don't know if I will use it. I don't really travel across the entire continent just to sit on a computer and chat with people I don't like on MSN.

On a semi-related note, am I weird for looking forward to flying on September 11th?
Veteran
Veteran

Postby coder0xff on Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:26 am

1447 wrote:people I don't like

On a semi-related note, am I weird for looking forward to flying on September 11th?

1) Back at ya buddy :smt023
2) I wonder how the stats for airline passengers varies on Sept 11
coder0xff
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Hollow on Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:43 am

you're flying on my birthday, then coming back on September 11th, how unusual.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby 1447 on Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:05 am

coder0xff wrote:
1447 wrote:people I don't like

1) Back at ya buddy :smt023

The "people I don't like" are, of course, not you guys, it's just a bunch of people from my old school I ended up with on MSN, and now I can't log on without them trying to talk to me. I was trying to be funny, and I failed. Now, that's unusual. NOT.
Veteran
Veteran

Postby RefaelBA on Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:58 am

Have an awesome and safe trip.
RefaelBA

Postby BubbleQ on Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:18 pm

Update? :?
---------------------------------
I am a happy mapper!
Archlinux
BubbleQ
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby 1447 on Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:43 pm

BubbleQ wrote:Update? :?

I haven't posted in a while because nothing has happened. Package #1 and #4 are still missing, and I haven't heard anything from neither the sender nor the recipient of Package #2 and #3. I'll contact them tomorrow, maybe they sent/received it and thought "Hey, I'm pretty sure 1447 can read my mind, no reason to contact him yet". I mean, you never know...

Also, I think it's time we determine the future of this project. I'll be leaving in a little over a month, and it's becoming pretty clear that we won't be able to finish this by then. There are still some 25 people who have yet to see the Package, and with two hammers missing... Well, let's be realistic.

So, I said a while ago that...
The way I see it, we have three options:
1) Cancel the entire thing, say "this was it guys, thanks for participating", maybe post the pictures we already have.
2) Put it on hold and wait, I may even be able to lead this in the military, provided I can get my hands on a computer. If not, we'll just wait until I'm back.
3) Pass the leadership onto someone else.

RefaelBA later proposed a fourth option:
Option 4:
You could create a small program in a couple of hours and have it tell every participant which interloper they should send the package to. It goes like this: Participants get some sort of identification, they input it to the program, the program tells them where the package goes next. Appoint a "moderator" for the project, who just has to poke people around, and I think the thing can pretty much run itself.

Option 2 is out of the question, this thing moves so slow it simply can't be put on hold. It would be like telling a snail to slow down. If we put this on hold, we'll never get it moving again, and the project will die once again. Option 1 and 3 are equally bad, but I'd rather see that than seeing this die (cancellation > death). Option 4 is viable, but it's essentially the same as Option 3, only with a little less human input. If someone takes over the leadership, they'll have to decide if they want to use Option 4 or not, Coder has said he can make such a program.

This leaves us with Option 1 and 3:
Option 1: We'll essentially cancel the whole project, and post the pictures we already have. This isn't as bad as it sounds, we'll still have the pictures of some 15 people, though it will obviously suck for the people who haven't received the Package yet.
Option 3: Someone else takes over the leadership after I'm gone. Now, I'm not gonna lie, the amount of paperwork involved here is massive. I have some 180 PM's from you guys, all regarding the Package. I'll have to go through every one of them and find out what's relevant and what's not, and then forward all that info to the next leader. Then you have things such as this thread and the Google Map, I don't know how we're going to transfer that to the next guy. And the fact that I haven't involved anyone else in the management of this project can be problematic, as there's things I know that aren't written in any PM or post, such as who's able to pay for international shipping (obsolete example, but you get the point).

I can't say which option I prefer, as I'm obviously biased; Option 1 allows me to be here when this project finishes (albeit prematurely), which has been my motivation for over a year, while Option 3 does not. I'll leave this discussion up to you guys, but keep in mind that it took us over a year to ship the Package to 15 people, and there's still 25 remaining... As for possible successors, there are several people here who've been actively involved with the Package from the start, who I think would make great leaders. I don't feel I am in a position to appoint a new man in charge without consulting you guys first though, so if anyone wants to take over The Interlopers Package or have suggestions regarding people they think would fit the role, then by all means, let us know.
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Megadude on Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:20 am

With everything that's gone on, I suggest you cut your losses and choose option 1. At least then you'll get to see the fruits of your labour.
Wrathborne 711 wrote:OH MY GOD.........MEXICANS!

End of Humanity - beta version 3.0 released!
Megadude
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Noodles on Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:51 am

1447 wrote:
ad_hominem wrote:He did specifically say that, and he lives pretty much in the same place as me. He asked me to tell you to skip him.

Okay then, I'll PM Noodles and tell him the address to his new recipient. By the way, you haven't sent me your pictures, I'd be happy if you'd do that soon. When you do, remember to tell me who theNSN are on the pictures, as I don't know how either of you look like.

Lol, good thing I'm not at my Dad's place atm then, as I'd probably end up taking a picture with ad's hometown in the background :-D (was thinking go to West Bay beach, Seatown or top of Golden Cap).

Haven't received package yet, waiting by the door :smt023
'English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havershambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary Rawlinson End.'
Noodles
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby coder0xff on Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:36 am

Oh, this thing is still going? No way!

:/
coder0xff
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion