Respawn's new game is on Source Engine

Chat about various topics.

Re: Respawn's new game is on Source Engine

Postby ErikKiller on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:02 pm

srredfire wrote:It'll be interesting to see what they've done with Source. They're either out of their mind or they've got something up their sleeves!

According to the Insurgency mods the latest Source available for developers is the one that CSGO uses. Doubtful that Valve is sharing Source 2 before Half-Life 3.
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:57 pm

Thanks, ErikKiller, but I dont think srredfire mentioned Source 2. You gotta get on the same page as us, buddy.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Epifire on Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:18 pm

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:Thanks, ErikKiller, but I dont think srredfire mentioned Source 2. You gotta get on the same page as us, buddy.

Maybe they are maybe they aren't? Later that year, in November, Gabe Newell confirmed that a Source 2 engine is under development, and that Valve is "waiting for a game to roll it out with" -Source Engine Wiki Page

Just a rough lead but there might be a chance Source 2 could work in this new title.
Epifire

Postby Gary on Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:41 pm

I will ban myself if it ends up on Source 2. I'm sure it'll be a modified Source engine from one of the latest non released branches.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby nub on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:01 am

srredfire wrote:Yeah, I didn't have to use a hotmail account either. You got scammed nub, you mushroom head lover.

Really? What the actual fuck. When I signed up for my Live account, it told me "Hotmail only."

This is bewlsheet.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Ale on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:54 am

Could very well be Source 2. Afaik, it wasn't a valve game that used Source first, so that trend could easily continue.
Ale
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Armageddon on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:22 am

The first game to use Source was CSS which was made by Valve? If you mean SiN that came out in 2006 and Vampire came out the same day as HL2.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby dark0r on Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:42 pm

Gary wrote:I will ban myself if it ends up on Source 2. I'm sure it'll be a modified Source engine from one of the latest non released branches.

Then why would they say that current gen cannot handle it? CSGO runs on Xbox 360/PS3 with no trouble. I can't imagine this being anything but Source 2. It's been in development for years (source: there's a Valve developer who's had Source 2 Senior Dev on his resume for years; source: it's mentioned in Alien Swarm's SDK)
dark0r
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby stoopdapoop on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:47 pm

dark0r wrote:Then why would they say that current gen cannot handle it? CSGO runs on Xbox 360/PS3 with no trouble.

HEEEEEEEEEUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHUAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

UHHHHHHHGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Plague on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:22 pm

dark0r wrote:
Gary wrote:I will ban myself if it ends up on Source 2. I'm sure it'll be a modified Source engine from one of the latest non released branches.

Then why would they say that current gen cannot handle it? CSGO runs on Xbox 360/PS3 with no trouble. I can't imagine this being anything but Source 2. It's been in development for years (source: there's a Valve developer who's had Source 2 Senior Dev on his resume for years; source: it's mentioned in Alien Swarm's SDK)

That's all valid till you remember that they also have full access to the code base.
And considering that they've had over a year now(?) to work with it most likely, they might have done some pretty major stuff to it.
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Kosire on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:19 pm

Counter-Strike: Source
Steam: November 1, 2004[1]

Half-Life 2
Steam: November 16, 2004

Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines
NA: November 16, 2004
EU: November 19, 2004

Both Source, released on the same day. Though CS:S was released first..

I highely doubt Titanfall is using Source 2. Just my 0.50 cents. :smt039
Kosire
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby nub on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:38 pm

Regardless of what version of Source it is, here's to hoping it's actually good.

I don't care what anyone says, Source can look fantastic when used properly. It's not top of the line visuals, but it doesn't have to be to look artistic and pleasing to the eye.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Major Banter on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:59 pm

Consider what the CANVAS lot have done with Source, and they're a bunch of (admittedly extremely talented) hobbyists and amateurs.

Chuck the strength of Infinity Ward's best at it and you never know what might come out the other side.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gary on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:59 am

dark0r wrote:

I still think Source 2 is just a major update to the current Source engine. But I still don't think it'll be on Source 2. And there's plenty of things that could have made it not run on current gen hardware. They could have switched it over to a deferred renderer with dynamic GI along with tons of other stuff. There might also be other things they threw in that's expensive as hell on current gen hardware.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby dark0r on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:08 am

Gary wrote:I still think Source 2 is just a major update to the current Source engine. But I still don't think it'll be on Source 2. And there's plenty of things that could have made it not run on current gen hardware. They could have switched it over to a deferred renderer with dynamic GI along with tons of other stuff. There might also be other things they threw in that's expensive as hell on current gen hardware.

There's no way they did so much to Source 1 that it required more power than BF3. No way. Either that, or they're extraordinarily shit at optimisation
dark0r
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion