Respawn's new game is on Source Engine

Chat about various topics.

Respawn's new game is on Source Engine

Postby Kosire on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:17 pm

Wow.. now I'm very intrigued to see footage of this.

Titanfall
- Xbox One, PC
- Xbox 360 version developed by someone else
- Planned to target current gen, but realized that they couldn't run it
- Started to look into next gen and the answer they got from Microsoft intrigued them
- They said they needed to focus on fewer hardware. In the future they are open to more. They don't specify if it would be this project or another.
- Plan to use Microsoft's Cloud for dedicated servers and physics and AI calculations
- Spring 2014 Release Date
- In my opinion it visually looks pretty nice.
- First person shooter
- "Mech" and ground combat
- "Mech's" are called Titans.
- They want these Titans to feel fast. They can dodge etc.
- If you don't want to pilot the Titan you can have it follow you, killing people as it goes along.
- Player characters are called Pilots
- They are extremely agile. Can run on walls, multiple jumps.
- They can take down Titans. Jumping on them and shooting the "brain".
- You need to be cunning as a pilot. "Hit and fade" tactics is the term the game director uses.
- Pilots come equipped with a variety of weapons. Pistol, Assault Rifle, Anti-Titan Rocket Launcher, data knife used to hack AI characters into joining you.
- There are AI enemies on the maps.
- You survive longer than in COD. Making it more welcoming to newcomers.
- Source Engine. Building new engine = too much time.
- Source gives them 60 fps
- Rewrote aspects of it for next gen
- Article talks about the process of forming the team, being fired, prototyping ideas etc. I recommend reading it.
- Going for a District 9 or Blade Runner vibe.
- Integrate memorable single player moments into a multiplayer game.
- Storytelling style will be more Left 4 Dead.
- Humans segregated between Earth and frontier planets. Corporation trying to take the resources of these frontier people.
Kosire
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Re: Respawn's new game is on Source Engine

Postby MrBlackspoon on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:49 pm

Sounds like it resembles a game idea called so far Iron will.
MrBlackspoon
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Epifire on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:44 pm

MrBlackspoon wrote:Sounds like it resembles a game idea called so far Iron will.

Dammit, it does. Except it sounds like Iron Will mechs are a lot bigger and slower (resembling something more from Mechwarrior) over the faster mechs they mention here.
Epifire

Postby Mao on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:05 pm

Interest is peaked. Sure as fuck not going to play it on a console though... so since it's Source, is it for sure going to be steam or is it going to be some Microsoft lock-in?
Mao

Postby Dives on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:17 pm

It kinda makes sense. They're familiar with idtech because thats what the CoD Engines were, and they can't used their old CoD engine anyway because they don't have the rights to it. And that Source is relatively cheap to license.
Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby nub on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:59 pm

Finally. I want this to succeed so Source has a 3rd party triple-A title to its name. Plus it sounds like it has a lot of potential.

I'm just worried since it's backed by Microsoft. They're amazingly talented at putting giant shit stains on otherwise awesome games. I'm gonna be pissed if they force Games for Windows Live on to this. Windows Live is simply NOT practical for any kind of game. Period. It needs to be completely scrapped by Microsoft.

Since it's Source, I imagine it'll run off the Steam API. I hope so, at least.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:34 pm

re-wrote engine for next-gen. i wonder if their sdk is better than ours.

also, i cant wait to see the facepunch threads

guise i need hel;p rigging my titan model\s plz pm me :)

(user was banned for this post)
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Armageddon on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:27 pm

Woah what. Who would ever use Source. I guess it is close to the brush based id tech modified stuff they were using.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Gary on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:38 am

Well, Source as of CSGO isn't too bad. Plus you can always upgrade it and use it's unreleased features.

As for it being similar to idtech; it is a little(I've modded a little idtech 4). But I'm thinking Source might also be pretty cheap or something. (If it wasn't a lot cheaper than UE or Cryengine, I can't see why you would use Source)
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Plague on Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:19 am

nub wrote:Finally. I want this to succeed so Source has a 3rd party triple-A title to its name. Plus it sounds like it has a lot of potential.

I'm just worried since it's backed by Microsoft. They're amazingly talented at putting giant shit stains on otherwise awesome games. I'm gonna be pissed if they force Games for Windows Live on to this. Windows Live is simply NOT practical for any kind of game. Period. It needs to be completely scrapped by Microsoft.

Since it's Source, I imagine it'll run off the Steam API. I hope so, at least.

Pretty sure iirc the plan was Games for Windows Live and Windows Live in general to be folded under in favor of Xbox Live as a whole.
Whether that means we escape GfWL or just just get a rebranded version idk.

I suppose choosing Source is a good idea, in terms of performance Source out rivals most listenable engines.(from a consumer perspective)
It's not a graphics powerhouse for sure, but with work from Respawn that can be improved.
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nub on Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:06 am

Plague wrote:[Pretty sure iirc the plan was Games for Windows Live and Windows Live in general to be folded under in favor of Xbox Live as a whole.

Ugh, finally. Took Microsoft long enough to realize how shitty GfWL was. I just hope they don't come up with an equally shitty service to replace it.

My main beef with it was the fact that you HAD to have a damn Hotmail account just to make a Live account (since Microsoft was too stubborn to accept third party email accounts for Live), JUST so you could put in a CD Key to play the damn game. Problem is, I stopped using Hotmail like nine fucking years ago because Gmail is vastly superior, so the Hotmail account I have for the few games I own that are plagued with GfWL gets locked all the time because I never log in to it because I simply don't use it for anything but GfWL. So every time I end up buying a game that happens to have the GfWL parasite attached to it, I have to spend a good 20 minutes just trying to activate the damn thing so I can play it. It was a totally ass backwards, invasive system.

...Sorry for the rant. I'll stop there...
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Smurftyours on Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:59 am

Mao wrote:Interest is peaked. Sure as fuck not going to play it on a console though... so since it's Source, is it for sure going to be steam or is it going to be some Microsoft lock-in?

WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR OLD ACCOUNT!
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby zombie@computer on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:24 am

nub wrote:
Plague wrote:[Pretty sure iirc the plan was Games for Windows Live and Windows Live in general to be folded under in favor of Xbox Live as a whole.

Ugh, finally. Took Microsoft long enough to realize how shitty GfWL was. I just hope they don't come up with an equally shitty service to replace it.

My main beef with it was the fact that you HAD to have a damn Hotmail account just to make a Live account (since Microsoft was too stubborn to accept third party email accounts for Live), JUST so you could put in a CD Key to play the damn game. Problem is, I stopped using Hotmail like nine fucking years ago because Gmail is vastly superior, so the Hotmail account I have for the few games I own that are plagued with GfWL gets locked all the time because I never log in to it because I simply don't use it for anything but GfWL. So every time I end up buying a game that happens to have the GfWL parasite attached to it, I have to spend a good 20 minutes just trying to activate the damn thing so I can play it. It was a totally ass backwards, invasive system.

...Sorry for the rant. I'll stop there...
I've been having a live account for years with my gmail account...

Anyway, I hope they know what they are doing. I'm not at all convinced that Source hasn't aged beyond all recognition. Talking about wonders of an ancient glory...
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Plague on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:13 pm

nub wrote:My main beef with it was the fact that you HAD to have a damn Hotmail account just to make a Live account (since Microsoft was too stubborn to accept third party email accounts for Live)

Actually what?....
I never had to make a hotmail account for my live account :\
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby srredfire on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:47 pm

Yeah, I didn't have to use a hotmail account either. You got scammed nub, you mushroom head lover.

It'll be interesting to see what they've done with Source. They're either out of their mind or they've got something up their sleeves!
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Next

Return to General Discussion