Mapping procedure

Chat about various topics.

Postby Atma_Dave on Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:52 am

I would just like to say that I highly recommend that button that makes the maps for you. I pushed it and now my map is featured on SomethingAwful. I must be pretty good if I can get reviewed on such a well-known site like that!

I haven't had time to read the review yet, but I'm sure it will be good! :smt116
Frank Sinatra saved my life one time. His goons were stomping me in the parking lot of the Sands, and he said, "That's enough, boys."
Atma_Dave

Postby AcX on Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:46 am

Lmao, oohhh dear :P
AcX
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Cr4ig on Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:43 am

lol - it would make me cry if i was on it :(
Cr4ig

Postby wiggle987 on Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:06 am

oh dear, your gonna be hated :lol:
wiggle987
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Spartan on Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:16 pm

I haven't had time to read the review yet, but I'm sure it will be good! :smt116

Even Jesus and the retarded kids are laughing at you right now.
Spartan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jest@ on Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:26 pm

Latest version of hammer has a bit of the bug with the automatic map button. Somehow seems to permanently set the svar sv_suck to 1 when played. anyone know a fix?
Highlight to read:
It was earth all along
Jest@
Veteran
Veteran

Postby AcX on Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:08 am

Yeah, put sv_learnmapping 1 in console. Takes a while to take effect though...
AcX
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby zp2kmag on Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:17 am

Personally I just started mapping about a week ago and I did some extensive research on it online and the most helpful sites were this one (#1) and a few of the other well known mappers (Pit/RD, DaddyCool, Etc).

I go through my mapping process by first thinking of some general things I want to make (ie: map type, theme, etc), then I draw out my map, then I make what I have so far... Then I move on to testing it on a server and getting players to find errors and give me ideas on what they like/dislike. Then the final step for me is doing all the repairs and additions etc and releasing it.

So far I have only made one map and am about 30% done on my second one. The first is decent, it's called fy_officeworld_619, but I havn't put it on any websites yet just 4-5 servers.
zp2kmag
Regular
Regular

Postby Rovient on Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:38 pm

zp2kmag wrote:So far I have only made one map and am about 30% done on my second one. The first is decent, it's called fy_officeworld_619, but I havn't put it on any websites yet just 4-5 servers.

Decent as in "decent compared to Valve's maps"? Or decent as in "the children stopped crying within only hours"?

Every time i get the feeling my map's looking great, I play a quick few levels of HL2, and get back into hammer to make some improvements. I will not consider a map finished untill it's to a level that I think could impress someone way better than me. :o
"We work in jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need"
Rovient
Regular
Regular

Postby Spartan on Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:47 pm

So far I have only made one map and am about 30% done on my second one. The first is decent, it's called fy_officeworld_619, but I havn't put it on any websites yet just 4-5 servers.

My best suggestion to give to you to keep from getting flamed is to not make a map that has the words "fy" in it followed somewhere by "world".

I just want to let you know this.
Spartan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby wiggle987 on Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:00 pm

fy_pwnworld, my new block map, coming to a shit website near you :P
wiggle987
Veteran
Veteran

Postby BaRRaKID on Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:05 pm

also the word ICE makes me vomit.. every1 as their traumas :roll:
I've no sign
BaRRaKID
Veteran
Veteran

Postby RefaelBA on Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:04 pm

Really?! And here was I, thinking that fy_IceWorld would actually make sense.

Anyway, I'm not mapping for very long, but I've learned a lot since I started out. I didn't plan it in any way, since it was already planned - I was converting my entire highschool complex into a map. Well, it goes pretty well, but every time I go through HL2 I see how the guys at Valve does it, and I don't think I can ever match that. It seems so perfect that I can't imagine anyone getting this good (don't forget that these levels are the levels for which the textures were made and new entities were invented, so I don't really know if it's fair, since nobody's making me my own textures :( )
I must state that there's SOMETHING I'm doing right, since my friends are really excited about the way it's coming up and they keep telling me how real it looks - but that is probably due to Source, not me. ;)
RefaelBA

Postby Spartan on Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:20 pm

Look at some of the old levels from Half Life. They aren't the best in the world but the guys that made those made the ones in HL2 also. There is always room for improvement and over time you will be as good of a mapper as the level designers at Valve and one day even better.
Spartan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Blink on Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:35 pm

They had one huge-ass headstart on learning the engine, and also a team of programmers to explain it to them. Don't expect that level straight away.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion