Curved Roads

Tutorial collection, comprehensive listings on main site.

Re: Curved Roads

Postby [KIRBY] on Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:29 pm

model is lit up the same way across whole thing, reason for this is the lighting origin being static, this affects whole mesh, both in ep2 and cs:go, it looks good only in cs:go because of projected texture being used as one of global light entities, for some reason spotlights did not light up the mesh even after I have added LOADS of vertices.

+this is EXTREMELY fast way of making roads
+ability to add as much detail as you want
+freedom of textures, hindered only by your skill with uv maps and 2048 texture size limit set by source
+30k for a road is more than enough, and you dont have to worry about things looking too blocky
+if you are unsure what the road will look like when you import it into level, you can import level into 3ds max to see for yourself
+hell if you are stubborn you can make a whole level in this...

-...but this means you are stuck with bad lighting unless you only use per-pixel lights, its probably way to go in custom mods that remove the limit on these lights
-experienced users only
-WWMT pretty much made it possible, if you are using maya or blender you are screwed without proper tools/plugins

Gary wrote:if you wouldn't mind throwing the model my way. (Via PM or whatever)

road model is literally a spline with sweep modifier with banking turned off, less than 5 minutes of fiddling with it
I say make your own, go for it, if you have wwmt in 3ds you are safe

Edit: vertex lighting did not work for me because I did not force it through compile dialog and I had a normal map, after fixing this lighting looks pretty good
Last edited by [KIRBY] on Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[KIRBY]
Regular
Regular

Postby The A on Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:50 pm

[KIRBY] wrote:model is lit up the same way across whole thing, reason for this is the lighting origin being static, this affects whole mesh, both in ep2 and cs:go, it looks good only in cs:go because of projected texture being used as one of global light entities, for some reason spotlights did not light up the mesh even after I have added LOADS of vertices.

Isn't there a compile option that turns on vertex lighting for static props? You just have to enter the option manually?
The A

Postby [KIRBY] on Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:37 pm

yes, thanks for reminding me, got it to work now, not only I had to force vertex lighting through compile, but I also had to remove normal map I had.
[KIRBY]
Regular
Regular

Postby Gary on Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:36 pm

[KIRBY] wrote:
Gary wrote:if you wouldn't mind throwing the model my way. (Via PM or whatever)

road model is literally a spline with sweep modifier with banking turned off, less than 5 minutes of fiddling with it
I say make your own, go for it, if you have wwmt in 3ds you are safe

But then I gotta learn how to UV map. Well, I really should learn anyways.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby [KIRBY] on Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:04 pm

in this case I will just make you a map and a road, eventually
[KIRBY]
Regular
Regular

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:27 am

i took a hypothetical "next logical step" in road building to make it look good (at least, good enough for me).

1. build the terrain via displacements, keeping your road's shape in mind as you build.
2. build the road via the method in this tutorial, with the road's height very close to that of the terrain. align textures as much as you can to make it look nice.
3. turn the top face of the road brushes into displacements and lower the edges slightly into the terrain. use blend textures to make it relatively "seamless".

i did this for my Assault on Overwatch map and I personally think it looks great. I understand that it helps that the map is dark but personally think the method also works well in bright sunny conditions.

"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Previous

Return to Tutorials