Env_beam

Tutorial collection, comprehensive listings on main site.

Env_beam

Postby Tutorial on Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:43 pm

category
General Half-Life 2/Entities

description
Beam effects are quite cool, and not to hard to implement.

keywords
laser, beam, env_beam, env.

This is just a short tutorial on how to make lasers using the env_beam entity to create easy-to-do lasers

Step 1: Setting Up Hammer

Pretty simple, just create a simple room and place two brushes that will represent your “laser” tie these two blocks the func_brush and name one block A and block B

Not that hard huh? Finish up and move onto the next step

Step 2: Creating your “Lasers”

Go to your entities list and scroll down to select the env_beam entity, this will control your “laser” place one, does not matter where it is just place one down and go into the properties. Now unlike env_laser the env_beam allows you to choose which entities it starts and finishes from, kind of like how you would make a rope in hammer. But anyway, in properties change the starting entity to A and the ending entity to B. you may also might want to consider changing the life in the properties from 1 to 0, this will make your beam constant.

Also the env_beam is bugged, I do not know why but set the damage/seconds to 0, for some reason with me it starts damaging me when I’m a distance off. So instead were going to create a brush with the nodraw texture over the line that is created between the two entities where the beam starts and finishes and tie it to the trigger_hurt entity. Fiddle with the settings on that, the only important thing to change is the damage type, I changed that to energy beam.

Throw in a light where the beam goes off, spawn and try it out

Step 3: Conclusion

There that wasn’t so difficult now was it? There is infact an env_laser entity but until I or someone else figures that out this will make a good substitute. There are a lot of variables that you can change in the env_beam entity so you can customise it as you wish.

Related:
Example Map

Wiggle987
- Don't send PM's to this user -
Tutorial
Not A Real User

Postby RaccoonKing on Tue May 31, 2005 11:44 am

Before taking a crack at this tut I read through it and noticed the "until I or someone else figures that out" and decided that I'd give it a shot before doing this tut.

I got it working.

Create Entity: env_laser (Name: laser)
Set Variable "Target of Laser": (any entity or proabably brush)
Set Flag "Start On": True

Compile and run.
RaccoonKing
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Laser Hall

Postby Torex on Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:26 pm

I'm trying to make a Laser hall. Like the ones from Resident Evil,.. Does anyone know how I would do something like this ? I posted this here because this is about beams/lasers.
-Torex-
Torex
Just Joined
Just Joined

Postby Mess on Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:40 pm

parent the beams and hurt brushes to func_tracktrains on path_tracks.
Mess
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Stino on Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:25 pm

beams are beams, use lasers for the laser room, lasers can damage people, they can be a solid line or more spread like lightning. and they can be used as triggers, so why whould u use a beam if you can use a laser to make lasers?
Stino

Return to Tutorials