Rappelling Combine (Episode I)

Tutorial collection, comprehensive listings on main site.

Rappelling Combine (Episode I)

Postby Tutorial on Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:20 pm

category
General Half-Life 2/Entities

description
A combine that will rappel down a wall using the new Episode 1 animations.

keywords
rappel, rappelling, combine, soldier, rope.

Requirements: Half-life 2: Episode 1 - If you don't have Episode 1, you might as well just skip this tutorial, as you wouldn't have the animations for the "Rappeling".(I don't know if it works with episode 2, and by that i mean, if you only have episode 2 and NOT episode 1)

Aim of this tutorial: To teach you how to make a npc_combine_s rappel down a building/ledge/tall thing, using the animation from episode 1.

Tutorial:

I'll assume you have basic hammer knowledge..

Okay first, make an open space. Then create a 480 unit high ledge( as shown on the picture below, height is important!!!), the width doesn't matter, but it would be pointless if it was too small for a combine to not be able to stand on.

Then create a npc_combine_s on the ledge, name it seq1_npc. Then create a scripted_sequence at the edge of the ledge, facing towards you (or any direction, but make sure it's the right one, you can usually tell by looking at the RED line) name it seq1. Basically seq1 just stands for sequence1.
The npc_combine_s can pretty much be any model and have any weapon(NOT TESTED WITH ELITE MODEL, MAY NOT WORK, IS VERY LIKELY TO WORK THOUGH) all up to you. Then go into the scripted_sequence(seq1) and set the following values to:

Target npc: seq1_npc
Action Animation: rappel_f
(You can look up the different animations with model viewer, i use _f because it has the shortest animation, which means the combine doesn't jump far down)
Move To Position: Walk
Go into spawnflags and check the Override AI
Leave the rest on their default values.

Extra animations and their height:

• rappel_a - 648
  • rappel_b - 480
  • rappel_c - 456
  • rappel_d - 552
  • rappel_e - 384
  • rappel_f - 480

And that is pretty much it. To make the combine rappel down, turn sv_cheats on (set it to 1), and type the following in the console: ent_fire seq1 beginsequence.

If you want to, you can have it triggered by the map too, but as I said above I assume you have basic hammer knowledge, so you SHOULD be able to do it yourself.
But here is a quickie for those who might not:

Create a trigger_once brush entity, then go into outputs and add:

Ontrigger seq1 beginsequence.

When you load the map you just walk into the trigger and the combine should rappel down.

Hope you enjoyed my tutorial

Corewarp
- Don't send PM's to this user -
Tutorial
Not A Real User

Re: Rappelling Combine

Postby blackt12 on Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:33 am

Great tutorial, but do you have the heights for any other of the animations?
blackt12

Postby Mess on Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:04 am

i've noticed there are several rappelling animations for the combine, can I use any of these or just f?
Mess
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Corewarp on Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:55 pm

You can use which ever suits your needs.
And to the first poster: Here you go:

Edit:

Heights:

a - 648
b - 480
c - 456
d - 552
e - 384
f - 480
Corewarp
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby blackt12 on Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:27 am

Thanks for the heights! Really helped.
blackt12

Postby Mark Richard on Sun May 11, 2008 6:16 pm

It's good someone wrote a tutorial about this. I actually thought about doing that myself. That's why I was curious about to see what you have written.
It's a very basic tutorial, which more or less just teatches you how to trigger the animation, what animation to use, and what heights to use. However, there is more to say. In Episode One, the soldiers also uses ropes, when they rappel down buidlings. But you didn't cover how to insert ropes and make it look like the soldiers uses them.
Mark Richard
Pheropod
Pheropod

Re: Rappelling Combine (Episode I)

Postby Jike on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:43 pm

Do the surfaces have to be flat? Or does some IK thing make the soldier be able to beautifully rappel down a cliff like in lost coast?
-Jike
Jike
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Corewarp on Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:37 pm

Jike wrote:Do the surfaces have to be flat? Or does some IK thing make the soldier be able to beautifully rappel down a cliff like in lost coast?

I don't know, try it out.
Corewarp
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby remer on Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:33 pm

Yeah, it works if you only have episode two.

How the fuck do you get the soldier to slide down a rope, though? Without it, he just kinda floats down, bounces off the wall once, and makes a smooth landing on the ground (which he should have hit pretty hard if gravity is involved.)

Please make sure that your tutorial is finished or written successfully before you post it, dude.
remer

Postby Jike on Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:56 pm

it isnt directly part of the process, since its only the visual part.

Make a move_rope at the ledge. Then make another and set the parent of that rope to your combines name. Then via the inpu system set the attachment which to parent (SetParentAttachement) to zipline or beam.damage or whatever. You can get a list in the model viewer.

Then after the sequence is over, break the rope via input
-Jike
Jike
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Viper on Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:06 pm

Very nice tutorial you have, i've followed the whole tutorial and it worked but i was dissapointed there was no rope seeing when the combine goes down with it. I was a bit dissapointed about that.

Jike could you maybe tell it step by step? Because do you need to connect it with "next keyframe?"
I got rope1 and rope2, do i need to put it in the sequence "SetParentAttachement" on both?
I don't quite understand.
I tried everything and nothing actually works.
Hope you will help ill be glady to hear it.
Viper
Just Joined
Just Joined

Postby Gradius on Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:38 pm

on whichever bit of the rope you want to connect to the combine. If you connect it to both then the rope will just move completely with the soldier so you'll never see it.
Gradius
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby khcee on Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:12 pm

For the rope, you need:
2 keyframe_rope entities

keyframe_rope
Name: rope1
Slack: 50
Start Hanging: NO
FLAGS: Tick Auto-size

keyframe_rope
Name: k_rope1

Then, set some outputs to the scripted_sequence
OnBeginSequence k_rope1 SetParent combine1 (or whatever you called your combine) 0.01 delay
OnBeginSequence k_rope1 SetParentAttachment zipline 0.02 delay
OnEndSequence k_rope1 Break 0.01 delay
OnEndSequence rope1 Break 0.01 delay

The delays are important
khcee
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby CB1993 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:37 am

I added rope to the soldier and everything works perfectly, except once rope detaches from the soldier and dangles, it goes through the world when the rope sways into it. I have it set to collide with the world but it still goes through it. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Never mind, I'm just being an idiot. The ropes were set to not collide after all.
CB1993

Postby Zaughi on Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:08 pm

Anyone know the name of the sound played when soldiers began their rappel in Episode One? And also, when I create the two keyframe_ropes with the correct settings, one on the top of the ledge and one at ground level, it still doesn't spawn. What's the output (Via this input) to create the rope?
Zaughi
Regular
Regular

Return to Tutorials