Particle Effects Editor Basics

Tutorial collection, comprehensive listings on main site.

Re: Particle Effects Editor Basics

Postby stoopdapoop on Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:08 pm

in your VTF make sure you have "clamp all" checked, should get rid of the repeating.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Whitestuff on Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:22 am

In my VTF? How do I do that? Is that in the particle editor itself or is that a setting I need to put in the VMT?

Sorry if I sound like a newb, but I am. :D
Whitestuff
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby vcool on Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:13 am

I think he meant VMT.

Or when you compile your VTF with vtex, you could specify parameters via a text file.

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby stoopdapoop on Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:36 am

nope I mean VTF.

If you have VTFedit, you can just open the file and click a check mark in the lower left.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Whitestuff on Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:03 am

Ok. I figured out what I am doing wrong with the texture - I was using the wrong shader.

Now, How do you use these things in maps? I went through every entity in the list and I can't find where you would select your *.pcf file for use in the map.

The documentation on the SDK site is somewhat helpful on explaining (very few) of the options in the editor, but I can't find anywhere how to place the things in Hammer.

Here's what I want to do:
I developed a grav lift that let's the player float slowly up and slowly down which ever shaft they enter into. Now, I basically want a column of green and blue particles to float up the "up" shaft all the time. Likewise with the "down" shaft, except the particles should float down.

I need some kind of tutorial, from start to finish on how to put these particle systems in a map. I can fiddle with the editor and *hopefully* produce the effect I want, but if I can't put it in a map to see it, I can't fiddle with it.

I see all these particle system tests on Youtube, but no one explains how they did it.

I know the answers to this post are probably going to make me feel really stupid, but I need the help, apparently.

EDIT:: I got it. It was so late last night I didn't get a chance to post it here. Now it's just a matter of playing with the settings to get what I want. Thanks for the tutorial! It really has helped me out a lot.
Whitestuff
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby UFOGman on Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:00 pm

Hi all! And where do I download a Particle Editor?
UFOGman
Just Joined
Just Joined

Postby city14 on Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:38 pm

Ummm, it's in the games. So to access the particle editor you just need to edit the launch options from within steam. Go to the launch options and add "-tools" (without quotes).

You should then be in the tool mode when the games starts up, and you can select particle editor from the tools list.
coder0xff wrote:I wonder if Gabe ever lies in bed at night, thinking about all the fat jokes, and just cries himself to sleep, wiping his tears away with one-thousand dollar bills.
city14
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby tymaxbeta on Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:08 pm

If anyone is having trouble with getting particles to die at the end of their life span you need to include some extra stuff then just randomize_lifespan, take a look here:
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Particle_System_Operators#Lifespan_Decay
so you need the randomize_lifetime to set your lifetime, then you also need Lifespan_Decay and alpha_fade for it to kill correctly...
Tyler Logsdon:
Lead Designer-
Half Life Parallel - http://www.moddb.com/mods/hlp
tymaxbeta

Postby Rambomst on Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:23 pm

So it isnt possible to get custom particle effects to work on multiplayer maps?
Rambomst

Postby vRussianSPY on Fri May 06, 2011 3:30 pm

magnificent tut. ty
vRussianSPY
Dumpling
Dumpling

Previous

Return to Tutorials