Create Realistic Sky Boxes

Tutorial collection, comprehensive listings on main site.

Create Realistic Sky Boxes

Postby Tutorial on Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:33 pm

category
General Half-Life 2/Other

description
Make your own realistic sky-boxes with VUE6 Infinite.

keywords
sky, box, skies, boxes, skyboxes, VUE, realistic, create.

Today we will learn how we can create realistic Valve like Skyboxes with "VUE6 Infinite". You can get a PLE-Version of it over here.

So why we should use Vue6 for it and not the well documented Terragen?
The answer is quite simple, with Vue6 you spend lesser Time on creating Sky-Textures and you get much better results.

So now that we know the Why, lets start with the How.
First load up your Vue6, and if you get asked which Environment you wanna use, choose "Vue6 Infinite Default". And if you already setup another Environment simple go on File -> Options -> Load interface presets and choose the right one. So now that you have the right Interface loaded (see Screen #1) we can start

Screen1:

------Camera Setup Part 1------

So the first BASIC that we do, is setting up the Camera so that we can use it with the almighty Source.
For that simple go over to the right side of your Interface and click on the "Main Camera" Layer (see Screen#2) This is the most important part!

Screen2:

So now that we have selected our Camera, we can go over to the settings (see Screen#3)

Screen3:

First we click on the Pen (1) and after that we enter a Vaule of 18mm in the Focal Field (2). It's important to know that we are working with the Metric-System in Vue6, so Millimeters (mm), Centimeters (cm), Meters (m), Kilometers (km) and so on.

So now that we got that we can go over to the next one, move your mouse straight over the Angle Icon and click on it. (see Screen#4)

Screen4:

Here we have to setup two things, first of all click on the Cube with the upper arrow above it (1) and set X & Y to 0mm and Z to 100m

We are done with that!
Now click on the other Cube beneath the one before (the one with the curved arrow above it). And now we enter the following Values: (see Screen#5)

Pitch = 90
Roll = 0
Yaw = 0

Screen5:

In that window we will setup every Camera we need, so leave it open for later use.

------Render Setup------

So now we have to Setup the Render-Preview, to do that simple go over to the "Camera" Symbol in the upper Toolbar and right click it and set it up like in the next Screen. (see Screen#6)

Screen6:

As long as we tweak out our Skybox, we can leave the "Preset render quality" on Preview.
At "Render Destination" we can choose "Render to Screen"
On "Picture size and resolution" we choose "Square 1:1" and enter a value of 512x512 you can go bigger or smaller but i recommend to use 512x512. Thats all for the Render-Setup now hit "Render" and the damn MAGIC happens

Now we have a Screen similar like the following one.

------Skybox Setup------

Damn impressive

Ok Hit "F4" or go over to "Atmosphere -> Atmosphere Editor" a new Window will open (see Screen#7) here we will setup nearly everything that we need! But in this Tutorial i will only cover the Basics of the Editor cuz most of the included Functions are self-explaining or simple Slide-me-until-you-happy Functions

Screen7:

For a better result we build our Skybox with a "Spectral Model" so leave it as it is. The next thing that we have to do is adding some clouds, so click on the Clouds Tab and then click on Add. A new Window will open with a bunch of available Cloud Layers, we will select Volumetric Clouds and there you can choose whatever you want but i recommend one of the Complete Cover Clouds.

So now we have to move our Clouds above the Camera position, so remember our Camera is 100m high so we have to set the Cloud Layer 200m high. To do that simple type into the Altitude Function a Value of 200m or whatever else you want. A quick preview can always be found on the right side of your Interface, if not simple left-click in the Window one time.

So now hit "OK" in the lower Right and after that left-click on the Camera-Symbol in the upper Toolbar. Now we should have a similar Result like the one on the following Screen.

To get alternate results simple play around with the various settings in the Atmosphere Editor, he is really easy to use.

------Camera Setup Part 2------

So now we have to Setup every Camera for every Texture we need. Again head over to the Camera Angle Tab on the Right. (see Screen#8)

Screen8:

Here we will alter the Settings for every Texture. First of all leave the Settings on the Values we have entered before. This will be our Front Camera (_ft) and now right-click again on the Camera Symbol in the upper Toolbar and set the "Preset render quality" to Final. (remember Screen#6) and Hit "Render".

After the Image is rendered, hit the small Disk Icon in the upper right corner (see Screen#9)
and save it under "whatever_ft" with an .tga extension or any other extension you can handle.

Screen8:

Now continue the above steps with the following settings until you have every Side of your Skybox.

Front Camera (_ft)
Pitch = 90
Roll = 0
Yaw = 0

Left Camera (_lf)
Pitch = 90
Roll = 0
Yaw = 270

Back Camera (_bk)
Pitch = 90
Roll = 0
Yaw = 180

Right Camera (_rt)
Pitch = 90
Roll = 0
Yaw = 90

Up Camera (_up)
Pitch = 0
Roll = 0
Yaw = 90

Down Camera (_dn)
Pitch = 180
Roll = 0
Yaw = 90

Now you have your own Valve-like Skybox! Really just play around with the settings of the Atmosphere Editor and you will notice that you can create nearly everything with it!

Compile your Skybox-Texture with the following Flags, to get the best ingame results.

Also Remember that there is a bug, you have to make every Texture the same Height and Width (ie. 512x512 or 256x256) and not 512x256 or something. If you make them in a different size you will get compile Errors and you aren't able to create cubemaps for it.

I'm done!
Hope it helps and pls let me know if you got questions or want more details.

FlynT
- Don't send PM's to this user -
Tutorial
Not A Real User

Re: Create Realistic Sky Boxes

Postby Psy on Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:52 pm

Definitely going to try this out sometime. Good work! :)
Psy
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Habboi on Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:12 pm

Oh wow the pictures show some great results! I must link this everywhere!

Good job mate.
Habboi
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:12 am

That's pretty dang sweet, gotta try out this puppy one time.
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Postby source-maps on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:53 am

nice, I like terragen, I hope this work just as eazy :)
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby R_Yell on Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:52 am

Just a small tip, on the atmosphere editor/clouds tab, double click on the clouds tumbnail down the clouds layers list to edit them. Seemed to me just a preview image until I read the manual, heheh. Editing the default cloud layers in that way will grant you much more control over final result.
R_Yell
Regular
Regular

Postby 1447 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:53 pm

Hang on guys, incoming noob question.

You hanging on?

INCOMING!!!

How do I compile the skybox texture?

Yeah well then SORRY, but this is the first time I've ever tried created my own textures, except the ~1 day I spent in Photoshop a long time ago.
Veteran
Veteran

Postby FlynT on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:39 pm

First of all get VTFEdit

After you got that save every side of your Skybox with an .tga extension wherever you want. Then open up VTFEdit go on File -> Import and open step by step every previous made Texture of your Skybox. Convert them with the settings from above (see the last screen) and then save it in your materials/skybox folder.

create the .vmt files for your skybox like the one below and then load it in Hammer.

Code: Select all
"sky"
{

"$hdrcompressedTexture" "skybox/yourskyname_here"
   "$nofog" "1"
   "$ignorez" "1"
   "$basetexture" "skybox/yourskyname_here"
}

Thats it you are done.

@Topic:
Thnx for all your replies, all of you are great!
And Thnx R_Yell for the Tip i didn't know that before :)
FlynT
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby 1447 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:51 pm

Thanks man;)

However... It doesn't work... I did everything you said, but when I compile, I get this (didn't run VRAD this time because the map is huge, but trust me, it doesn't work with VRAD enabled either):

Code: Select all
** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\Username\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vbsp.exe"
** Parameters: -game "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\SourceMods\Modname" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\Modname\mapsrc\mapname"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Mar 11 2008)
4 threads
materialPath: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\SourceMods\Modname\materials
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\Modname\mapsrc\mapname.vmf
Patching WVT material: maps/mapname/nature/blenddirtgrass001a_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/mapname/concrete/blendconcreterock001a_wvt_patch
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
Processing areas...done (0)
Building Faces...done (0)
Chop Details...done (0)
Find Visible Detail Sides...
Merged 78 detail faces...done (0)
Merging details...done (0)
FixTjuncs...
PruneNodes...
WriteBSP...
done (0)
writing C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\Modname\mapsrc\mapname.prt...Building visibility clusters...
done (0)
material "skybox/sky_winter_nightrt" not found.
Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_winter_night to build the default cubemap!
Finding displacement neighbors...
Finding lightmap sample positions...
Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Building Physics collision data...
done (1) (100045 bytes)
Placing detail props : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Compacting texture/material tables...
Reduced 591 texinfos to 331
Reduced 71 texdatas to 53 (2760 bytes to 2059)
Writing C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\Modname\mapsrc\mapname.bsp
12 seconds elapsed

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\Username\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vvis.exe"
** Parameters: -game "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\SourceMods\Modname" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\Modname\mapsrc\mapname"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Mar 11 2008)
4 threads
reading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\Modname\mapsrc\mapname.bsp
reading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\Modname\mapsrc\mapname.prt
 179 portalclusters
 375 numportals
BasePortalVis:       0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
PortalFlow:          0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (1)
Optimized: 0 visible clusters (0.00%)
Total clusters visible: 31685
Average clusters visible: 177
Building PAS...
Average clusters audible: 177
visdatasize:9634  compressed from 8592
writing c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\Modname\mapsrc\mapname.bsp
1 second elapsed

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\Modname\mapsrc\mapname.bsp" "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\SourceMods\Modname\maps\mapname.bsp"

material "skybox/sky_winter_nightrt" not found.

Sky_winter_night is the name of the skybox, obviously (no, I'm not very imaginative). I've placed all six sides of the skybox, each with the correct suffix, in steamapps\SourceMods\Modname\materials\skybox, and I've made a .vmt for each .vtf, they all look like this:

"sky"
{

"$hdrcompressedTexture" "skybox/sky_winter_night_suffix"
"$nofog" "1"
"$ignorez" "1"
"$basetexture" "skybox/sky_winter_night_suffix"
}
...where "_suffix" is either _bk, _dn, _ft, _lf, _rt or _up, depending on which .vmt it is. I've also changed the skybox in the Map Properties in Hammer too.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?
Veteran
Veteran

Postby FlynT on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:17 pm

Yeah i see your problem and i know you will slap yourself! :D

Fire up Hammer and enter this name for your skyname "sky_winter_night_" the only thing that you forgot is the underscore at the end of your sky "_"

Without that underscore VRAD search for "sky_winter_night{suffix}" and not for "sky_winter_night_{suffix}"

Hope it helps ;)
FlynT
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby marnamai on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:28 pm

Is it possible to make night skyboxes with Vue6? In terragen is really difficult/if not impossible to create a believable looking skybox texture.
marnamai
Veteran
Veteran

Postby FlynT on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:53 pm

Of course, all you have to do is playing around with the settings until you happy.

There are some really nice results in the e-on Gallery.
FlynT
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby 1447 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:54 pm

FlynT wrote:Yeah i see your problem and i know you will slap yourself! :D

Fire up Hammer and enter this name for your skyname "sky_winter_night_" the only thing that you forgot is the underscore at the end of your sky "_"

Without that underscore VRAD search for "sky_winter_night{suffix}" and not for "sky_winter_night_{suffix}"

Hope it helps ;)

Thanks, again:)

It works now, at least partially... See for yourself:

Fancy night skybox! (Doesn't this forum have img-tags?)

As you can see, the skybox is nowhere near seamless, and it's full of watermarks! This wasn't supposed to happen, right? Did I do something wrong here, or is it because I'm using the free version?

Sorry for being a pain, it's not my fault this stuff won't work.. I really appreciate your help.

marnamai wrote:Is it possible to make night skyboxes with Vue6? In terragen is really difficult/if not impossible to create a believable looking skybox texture.

Yup, press F4, under "Sky, Fog and Haze", you can set the color of the sky. Tweak the light and sun settings so it looks like night, and you're good to go. That's what I did at least, and if it had worked, it would've looked like a nigth sky...
Veteran
Veteran

Postby FlynT on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:21 pm

Yeah the Watermark comes from the Free Version :/

The distortion of your Sky could be a wrong Camera setting did you have set the Focal Value to 18mm? Its also important that you set the Clamp T and Clamp S Flag inside VTFEdit.

If you want you can send me your Vue Project so that i can look whats wrong. But it will take some time cuz i'm currently at work. But first check if you forgot something from the Tutorial ;)
FlynT
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby 1447 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:57 pm

FlynT wrote:...did you have set the Focal Value to 18mm?

I was going to post a picture, but since the img tags aren't working, I'll manage with an URL:
http://www.latinoreview.com/images/user/picard-facepalm.jpg

Lol, I feel so stupid right now...

But what about the watermarks? Is it possible to do something about them? You know, without buying the whole thing?

Again, thanks a ton man:)
Veteran
Veteran

Next

Return to Tutorials