Detail Sprites

Tutorial collection, comprehensive listings on main site.

Detail Sprites

Postby Tutorial on Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:30 pm

category
Texture Creation

description
Creating a grass detail sprite for use on displacements.

keywords
sprite, 2D, grass, detail, displacement, texture, surface, vtf.

For more information on Detail Sprites and the Parameters assosiated with them head over to the VDC: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Detail_Props#New_detail_types

What is a Detail Sprite?

A detail sprite is a raster image (2D or "flat") which gets generated on a displacement surface during compilation. Frequently used for grasses and plants.

In this tutorial we will be looking strictly at spawning 2D sprites, not 3D models. However I may update that in later on. Its a very similar process to the 2D sprites we will be making so take a peek at the VDC link at the top to learn more.

Hierarchy of what we will be doing in this tutorial:

Creating the Sprite Texture:

The sprite texture should contain each of the sprites you'd like to use in a particular level, you can only use one sprite texture per individual level. Individual sprites do not get their own texture.

Material Texture (VTF):

When creating a sprite sheet make sure to leave adequate spacing between each one as to avoid one from bleeding into another. While your sheet doesn't have to be as organized as mine it will make your work easier in the long run to know where everything is mapped out. This includes the top right corner of each sprites origin, the sizes of each sprite, in pixels, and their origins. Origins are where the sprite will rotate or spin so that they always be facing toward you. This is done by using X, Y coordinates between 0 - 1. 0.5, 1 would mean half way across the horizontal and on the bottom.

NOTE each cutout does not have to be a power of 2, it can be any size on the sprite sheet you like, mine is just simplified for the tutorial.

I placed my sprites on a 512x512 texture, then I went ahead and made a new layer to map out the locations of each sprite.

When you are happy with the positioning of your sprites save the guide as a separate picture for reference use later on. Now you should remove or hide the guides layer and flatten all the individual sprites onto a single layer if they aren't already (Ctrl + E). Now the sprites are going to need a transparency mask so that I don't just have white squares with plants in the middle. One way of cutting out the solid white background out is by going to "Filter, Colour Range" and by clicking on the whites they should now all be selected, hit your delete key to remove them.

Now while holding ALT click on your Sprites Layer (On the thumbnail specifically) this will select your sprite cutouts and while selected go over to your Channels tab and click on the create layer mask button. You can see my new "Alpha 1" layer is now created with all the sprites in white, or the unmasked part, while all the empty space is in black, or where your texture will be masked/transparent in the game. Save your texture as a VTF, compressed texture with Alpha.

Photoshop VTF pluging can be found here: http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?c=154#p154

Material Parameters (VMT):

I saved my VTF as examplesprites.vtf in the /materials/whiffen folder. The vmt should reflect where you have it stored under $basetexture. You can create a vmt by making a new txt document, pasting and editing these parameters to your liking and saving it as examplesprites.vmt under *All File Types*

Code: Select all
UnlitGeneric
{
   $baseTexture "whiffen\examplesprites"
   $translucent 1
   $nocull 1
   $vertexcolor 1
   $vertexalpha 1
   $receiveflashlight 1
   $singlepassflashlight 1
}

You've now completed your sprite texture, next step is to tell the engine where these sprites are and how it should handle generating them on surfaces.

Creating the Detail.vbsp:

The original Valve file can be found at the root directory of your game, named detail.vbsp, however when you create yours you can save it to a different location, if you want to save it to your root directory you should name it differently as not to override Valves. I will call mine examplegrasses.vbsp.

D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\left 4 dead 2\left4dead2 is the root directory for the game I'm working on.

You can open a vbsp in any text editor, and we will create one the same way as we did our vmt, by creating a new txt document first and saving it afterwards as examplegrasses.vbsp under allfiles.

Now let me take you though the syntax.

detail
{
   <Detail type>
   {
      density <float>

<Group>
      {
         alpha <normal>

<Prop>
         {
            <settings>
         }
      }
   }
}

All <detail>.vbsp's will start with detail {.

Detail type is the name you wish to call a specific grouping, you can have as many as you want in your vbsp. For example if you create a detail type named swamp_foliage and set it to use things like cat tails and tall grasses and another one named forest_foliage for small plants and grasses you can choose the appropriate one for your texture by adding it to that textures vmt with "%detailtype swamp_foliage/forest_foliage"

Density defines how densely sprites are placed.

Groups are used to divide the alpha channels of a displacement. Lets say you have a blend texture between concrete and grass. Your concrete texture is the main basetexture or Alpha 0, the grass is basetexture2 or Alpha1. On your concrete texture you don't want any grass sprites to spawn on it so you would define alpha 0 with no props like such;

Group 1   
      {
         alpha 0
      }

Where as alpha 1, the grass texture, will spawn sprites.

Group 2   
      {
         alpha 1

Grass Sprites
         {
            sprite ~
            spritesize ~
            spriterandomscale ~
            amount ~
         }
      }

Alpha as briefly described above sorts what type of or how many sprites you want on a particular blended surface. It doesn't have to be as black and white as 0 and 1, you can use any value in between like 0.5 if you wanted a particular sprite to be placed half way between one blended surface and another. For instance if you had tall grasses placed on alpha 0 and cattails on alpha 1 a sharp transition between the two might not be the effect you were looking for. Adding an alpha group at 0.5 with medium sized grass sprites and a few cattails blended in would help make the transition between the two blended textures less sharp.

Prop Is just a place holder for defining which sprites you want to use in a particular group. I could just name sprites Prop1, Prop2, etc. Or I could name them specifically based on the sprite they represent. If I decided to use a cattail sprite I could call this cattail, so when I go back into my detail.vbsp later to change things I know exactly what is what.

Settings this is where you define where the sprite is on your sprite texture, how big it is in the game, how much is sways back and fourth, what shape it is, randomly generated sizes, where its origin is and every other aspect of this particular sprite.

There are way to many settings for me to go though in this tutorial but I will help you get started by choosing the correct sprite, its size and the random scale. Please refer to the VDC at the top of this tut for more information, its already all there for you and wouldn't make much sense for me to write everything all over when they have done an excellent job already.

Coming back to this image I am going to set up the first sprite for you. Every sprite will require a minimum of these first 2 commands.

sprite "0 0 128 256 512"
spritesize "0.5 1 16 32"
spriterandomscale .15

sprite X, Y, W, H, VTF width
The subregion of the map's detail material to use for this prop.

* X/Y are the top-left position
* W/H are the dimensions of the prop in texels
* VTF width is the X-axis resolution of the whole detail texture.

spritesize <normal|U, V> <float|W, H>
The origin (U/V) and size in units (W/H) of the sprite when it is in the world.

spriterandomscale <normal>
The sprite's size will vary from 100% by this degree. A value of 1 means that the sprite could be generated at anything between 0% and 200% of its normal size.

This is what my completed detail.vbsp looks like.

detail
{
   example_grasses //Detail Type, Name this related to the sprites you plan to use. Swamp_foliage, Dry_Grasses, etc...
   {
      density 2000 // How densely sprites are placed

Group1 // First grouping in this detail type
      {
         alpha 0 // Applies to my Basetexture
      }

Group2 // Second grouping in this detail type
      {
         alpha 1 // Applies to my Basetexture2

Cattail // Name for my first sprite
         {
            sprite "0 0 128 256 512" // The sprites location on the texture
            spritesize "0.5 1 16 32" // The Origin and how big it appears in game
            spriterandomscale .15 // Random sizing multiplier
            spriteorentation 2 // How it looks in game ( Always faces you, Always stationary, etc...)
            amount .1 // Amount of these sprites compared to the others in this Group. 0.1 = 10% of the sprites in this grouping will be this sprite. All the sprites in a group should equal 1, any less you won't be using the full density you set above, any more you will have a higher density.
            sway .5 // How far this sprite sways back and fourth. "Simulated wind"
            maxangle 95 // Max degrees the sprite will turn in order to face you.
         }
         Wheatthing
         {
            sprite "128 0 128 256 512"
            spritesize "0.5 1 16 32"
            spriterandomscale .15
            spriteorentation 2
            amount .3
            sway .5
            maxangle 95
         }
         TangledMotherfucker
         {
            sprite "256 0 256 256 512"
            spritesize "0.5 0.8 32 32"
            spriterandomscale .15
            spriteorentation 2
            amount .1
            sway .3
            maxangle 95
         }
         Grass
         {
            sprite "0 256 512 256 512"
            spritesize "0.5 1 128 64"
            spriterandomscale .15
            spriteorentation 2
            amount .5
            sway .3
            maxangle 95
         }
      }
   }
}

Creating the Displacement Surface:

Hopefully you already have a displacement texture created, so how do we apply our above sprites to our displacement? We do it though the %detailtype. Looking back at my vbsp you can see I named this specific detail group "example_grasses" so just sub that into your displacements vmt and your all set!

LightmappedGeneric
{
   $basetexture whiffen\dirta
   $basetexture2 whiffen\dirtb
   $surfaceprop gravel
   $surfaceprop2 gravel
   %detailtype example_grasses //LOOK HERE
}

Setting up Hammer:

Last thing to do is setup hammer to use your custom sprites texture and detail.vbsp by going to: map, map properties.

All done! Your sprites wont show up in hammer but it should work after compiling.

FINAL RESULT: Hopefully yours will be better than mine, I didn't spend to much time on mine :P

- Don't send PM's to this user -
Tutorial
Not A Real User

Re: Detail Sprites

Postby -ZOMG on Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:19 pm

Very nice tutorial.

I'll be using this in the next few weeks.
-ZOMG
Regular
Regular

Postby Fedora on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:07 am

I literally just went through and figured this all out without a tutorial, and you go and make a brilliant one a day later.

Tip: If you're only looking to add a few extra plants, extract Valve's detail vtf file, add your own foliage in on the sides without moving the ones already there. You'll need to extract Valve's detail.vbsp too and enter in the info for your added plants or whatever. But making your own isn't that hard tbh.

Another tip: If you want to have the detail props extremely dense in some spots but just a regular density in others to get a plants-bunching-up effect, set your "density" extremely high. For the less dense spots, make the "amount" values in that group add up to less than one.

Example!
detail
{
   example_grasses
   {
      density 20000

Group1 //NO props
      {
         alpha 0
      }

Group2  //SOME props- the amounts add up to .01, making the density of this alpha level 1% of your set density.
      {
         alpha .9
         Prop1
         {
             //stuff
             amount .005
             //stuff
         }

Prop2
         {
             //stuff
             amount .005
             //stuff
         }
      }

Group3 //Metric fuckton of props. In Hammer, set the displacement alpha to 100% sparingly. You'll get tufts of foliage and feel awesome. This is a good spot to add detail models as well.
      {
         alpha 1
         Prop1
         {
             //stuff
             amount .5
             //stuff
         }

Prop2
         {
             //stuff
             amount .5
             //stuff
         }
      }
   }
}
I livestream and do hardcore play-by-play analysis of my mapping.
[Been on hiatus due to technical difficulties - starting again soon]
Fedora
Regular
Regular

Postby Fedora on Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:35 am

The detail props look fine normally but do this when under flashlight (ep2):

Why do they do this and how can I convince them to stop. (can't work around it; gameplay mechanic requires flashlight)

Detail sprite vmt:
"UnlitGeneric"
{
   "$basetexture" "detail/detailsprites_dvh"
   "$nocull" 1
   "$translucent" "1"
   "$VertexColor" 1
   "$VertexAlpha" 1
   "$receiveflashlight" "1" //FUCK YOU LIAR
   "$singlepassflashlight" "1"
}

edit: hagblugblubglub sorry double post
Fedora
Regular
Regular

Postby whiffen on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:08 am

Hmm thats strange.

$receiveflashlight 1 should allow your flashlight to illuminate them, try removing $singlepassflashlight 1 from the VMT.

Those look like Valves sprites so I think its safe to say the origins aren't clipped into the ground? Not sure if that would even cause them to be black though, I'm sure its something in the VMT... >:0

I think that VMT command might only be available in L4D, maybe thats why its giving you problems :)
whiffen
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Fedora on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:33 am

whiffen wrote:Hmm thats strange.

$receiveflashlight 1 should allow your flashlight to illuminate them, try removing $singlepassflashlight 1 from the VMT.

Those look like Valves sprites so I think its safe to say the origins aren't clipped into the ground? Not sure if that would even cause them to be black though, I'm sure its something in the VMT... >:0

I think that VMT command might only be available in L4D, maybe thats why its giving you problems :)

Good thought, but it had no effect. There are Valve's mixed with custom ones and they all do it :( :( :(. They just don't change brightness when I shine the flashlight on them.
Fedora
Regular
Regular

Postby Terr on Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:27 pm

Make sure the vertical positioning for the sprites doesn't put them "underground" by a single pixel or something like that. The game might think they are technically "below the displacement"...
Terr
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby nikholai-chan on Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:59 pm

Really nice tutorial mate, thanks for this will help me out ^-^
Source, Unreal, Game Maker, LeadWerks, Flash, Photoshop, 3Ds MAX, Visual C++, InDesign, Sony Vegas
nikholai-chan

Postby paws on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:11 pm

Wonderfully written tutorial but somehow I'm screwing it up.

I don't see the detail props in hammer and when I try to compile I get this error in the log about 100 times before vbsp.exe crashes:
KeyValues Error: RecursiveLoadFromBuffer:  got } in key in file greengrass_detail.vbsp
detail, greengrass_detail,
KeyValues Error: RecursiveLoadFromBuffer:  got } in key in file greengrass_detail.vbsp
detail, 95, (*greengrass_detail*),
KeyValues Error: LoadFromBuffer: missing { in file greengrass_detail.vbsp
(*detail*), (*95*), (*greengrass_detail*),
KeyValues Error: LoadFromBuffer: missing { in file greengrass_detail.vbsp
(*detail*), (*95*), (*greengrass_detail*),

my detail.vbsp (named greengrass_detail.vbsp) is :
detail
{
   greengrass_detail
   {
      "density" "2000.0"

Group 1
      {
         "alpha" "0.0"

}
      Group 2
      {
         "alpha" "1.0"

Grass1

{
         "sprite" "0 0 512 512 1024"
         "spritesize" "0.5 1 24 32"
         "spriterandomscale" ".15"
         "spriteorentation" "2"
         "amount" "0.25"
         "sway" "0.5"
         "maxangle" "95"
      }
         Grass 2
      {
         "sprite" "512 0 512 512 1024"
         "spritesize" "0.5 1 16 16"
         "spriteorentation" "2"
         "amount" "0.25"
         "sway" "0.5"
         "maxangle" "95"
         }

Grass 3
      {
         "sprite" "0 512 512 512 1024"
         "spriteorentation" "2"
         "amount" "0.25"
         "sway" "0.5"
         "maxangle" "95"
         }

Grass 4
      {
         "sprite" "512 512 512 512 1024"
         "spritesize" "0.5 1 24 28"
         "spriteorentation" "2"
         "amount" "0.25"
         "sway" "0.5"
         "maxangle" "95"
         }

}
   }
}

I can't spot anything wrong with it but I've been staring so hard at it for the last hour I can hardly see anything any more. Can anyone spot an issue with it or could it be something else causing the issue? .vbsp file and material file are both referred too in the map properties.
paws

Postby Groxkiller585 on Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:13 am

detail
{
   greengrass_detail
   {
      "density" "2000.0"

Group 1
      {
         "alpha" "0.0"

}
      Group 2
      {
         "alpha" "1.0"

Grass1

{
         "sprite" "0 0 512 512 1024"
         "spriteorentation" "2"
         "amount" "0.25"
         "sway" "0.5"
         "maxangle" "95"
      }
         Grass 2
      {
         "sprite" "512 0 512 512 1024"
         "spritesize" "0.5 1 16 16"
         "spriteorentation" "2"
         "amount" "0.25"
         "sway" "0.5"
         "maxangle" "95"
         }

Grass 3
      {
         "sprite" "0 512 512 512 1024"
         "spriteorentation" "2"
         "amount" "0.25"
         "sway" "0.5"
         "maxangle" "95"
         }

Grass 4
      {
         "sprite" "512 512 512 512 1024"
         "spritesize" "0.5 1 24 28"
         "spriteorentation" "2"
         "amount" "0.25"
         "sway" "0.5"
         "maxangle" "95"
         }

}
}

Try this, I removed an extra bracket.
Groxkiller585
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Groxkiller585 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:49 am

{   
   {
      {

}
   }
}

Mine.

{
   {
      {

}
      }
   }
}

His. There IS an extra, which is why it's saying there's one missing in the errors; it's looking for the other to make a pair.
Groxkiller585
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby paws on Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:10 pm

Using your code with the removed bracket causes vbsp to crash on compile. I've gone back through and counted very carefully and unless I'm truly incapable of counting or noticing brackets (admittedly a distinct possibility) I think it does have the correct number of brackets. Thanks for the responses, sadly I'm still truly stumped. I'll continue to play around with it, if anyone has any other ideas I'd love to hear them. I'm sure its something deceptively simple.
paws

Postby Terr on Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:33 am

Grox: No, the original appears to have the correct number of matching braces. Removing one will break it.

Paws: Try putting "Group 1" (and 2, etc.) inside double-quotes, because it contains a space. Or else rename it Group1 or Group_1.

I suspect it might be seeing "Group 1" and interpreting it as a key/value pair. I'll try running it through my parser for this data format later.
Terr
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby paws on Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:15 am

Thanks Terr, that fixed it! I new it would be something deceptively simple, good spot.

As always with source when one thing goes wrong everything goes wrong though, while the sprites are in game they appear under the displacement; correct orientation, correct sizing, only issue is the top of each sprite is where the bottom of the displacement is. As the origin is 0.5 1 this confuses me, the sprites appear to be placed by their tops.

Sorry for filling up the tutorial thread like this, but I figure that if anyone else has issues implementing these then its probable I'll have raised and solved every possible issue by the time I get this to work.
paws

Postby whiffen on Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:19 am

Boy, whachu doin fillin up mah thread with your open bracket nonsense.
whiffen
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Next

Return to Tutorials