Door Ways

Tutorial collection, comprehensive listings on main site.

Door Ways

Postby Tutorial on Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:30 pm

category
General Half-Life 2/Architecture

description
Often neglected but very useful, doorways help give the map a polished look and they are very easy to do.

keywords
door, doors, frame, door frame, door way, doorway.

Creating doorways in Hammer couldn’t be easier these days, it consists of a door frame and obviously a door within it, usually a prop_door_rotating (See prop_door_rotating).

First of all, sort yourself an area for the door to go, in this example I have used a standard wall, 128 units high and 16 thick.

The next thing is to select the door dev texture, after you have done this a few time you won’t need this, but for now go into the texture browser, filer ‘dev’ and choose the orange door texture like below.

Now that’s done, make a brush the exact measurements of the texture, they are written on it but for the sake of this tutorial, make it 112x56. If you look you will see the inside measurements are 108x48, this is the size of the standard prop soor, so you can see where we are going with this.

Now, this will act as a guide for the creation of the door. Clip (Shift-X) around the door, ensuring you leave all parts of the wall intact, do this by pressing Shift-X until it shows both brushes as solid white.

Then move you template door into place so it is flush with the wall:

Superb. Now comes some more clipping. We need to clip the template brush so that we are left with the frame. Now the best way to do this is to zoom right in close, and clip around the edges of the frame (this is shown on the texture itself) by leaving 4 units in on each clip. This will leave the exact frame, just like below:

As you can see, we are left with the frame and I have deleted the bulk of the door, this is no longer required.

The next thing to do is to optimise that frame a tad, go ahead and select one of the frame brushes and use the Vertex Manipulation tool to move the corners into the flowing position:

So it should now look like this:

Ok, we are nearly done here. Last job is to texture the door. Open up the Texture Application tool (Shift-A) and hold CTRL and left click all 3 faces of the frame. Then tick the Treat as one box, this will make applying the door texture a doddle:

Now head into the texture browser (still with the faces selected) and type door into the filter, I chose the wooden door, but you can use any kind that suits:

As you can see the door and frame are one texture, this is why we are using Treat as one. When you have selected the texture, press Apply and see if it has aligned, if not then press the L and B buttons under Justify.

Here is our final frame:

Now the finishing touch is to add a door, a prop_door_rotating will fit perfectly if aligned correctly, then you’re sorted.

Something to note is you can also make the door frame itself a func_detail, but ensure it isn’t exposed to the world, including the bottom.

That’s it!

Blink
- Don't send PM's to this user -
Tutorial
Not A Real User

Postby BaRRaKID on Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:11 pm

nice tut blink, altough this is very simply, it makes alot of difference in a map, and many people seem to forget it.
I've no sign
BaRRaKID
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Rustvaar on Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:30 pm

It's good to have this kind of Tutorial.

I'm never too confident that what I'm doing is the correct method, having the basic tutorials lets me realise I don't such that much :lol:
Rustvaar
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby devil_dog on Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:04 am

Please don't get me wrong, I really appreciate this tutorial, it might be the best I've seen so far for making doors.

However, I have yet to see any explain how to use the clipping tool. It seems like every attempt I've seen leaves out some crucial detail, because I can't get it to work.

Everyone says clipping is easier and faster and better than carving. Well, show me, because I can sure carve with no issues, but hell if I can clip.

dd
dd
devil_dog
Regular
Regular

Postby Rick_D on Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:23 pm

If you click the Clip icon mutliple times it changes which portion of the brush is removed (if any portion at all). Of course you could have made the hole by carving, but you would have had to clean it up afterwards anyway. So take the time to clip - it's your firend. Make sure you're carbing in the correct grid for your needs, as you can get some odd effects if you don't - and generally keep playing with it - carving is fast but messy.
Rick_D
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Oleg on Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:10 pm

I'm sorry but I can't understand what to do with clipping. Clicking the Clipping Tool makes different areas disappear, yeah I understood that, but how to make a square hole? I moved those two dots in any direction but it didn't work. Those screens can't help me! Maybe someone can?
Oleg
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Oleg on Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:28 pm

Oh! I get it! I should apply after every step. It should be written here
Oleg
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby -Andy- on Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:39 pm

Does anyone else think HL2 doors have a huge scale? It always annoys me, but I guess they need to be big so people don't miss them when running around.
-Andy-
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Oleg on Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:11 pm

-Andy- wrote:Does anyone else think HL2 doors have a huge scale? It always annoys me, but I guess they need to be big so people don't miss them when running around.

Why does it annoy you?
As for me, I play Cs more and have no complaints
Oleg
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Oleg on Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:13 pm

Can anyone explain me what is prop_door_rotating and how to add it
Oleg
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Blink on Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:25 pm

Oleg wrote:Can anyone explain me what is prop_door_rotating and how to add it

All you have to do is look:

http://forum.interlopers.net/viewtopic.php?t=1966
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby Bloodraven on Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:07 am

Nice tutorial, allthough im still stumped on clipping :( could someone post a tut on doing that? or point me to a clipping tut please?
Bloodraven
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Blink on Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:12 am

Bloodraven wrote:Nice tutorial, allthough im still stumped on clipping :( could someone post a tut on doing that? or point me to a clipping tut please?

There is a brief tutorial in the video tutorial section: http://www.interlopers.net/index.php?page=videos.htm
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby Bloodraven on Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:28 am

Blink wrote:
Bloodraven wrote:Nice tutorial, allthough im still stumped on clipping :( could someone post a tut on doing that? or point me to a clipping tut please?

There is a brief tutorial in the video tutorial section: http://www.interlopers.net/index.php?page=videos.htm

thanks
Bloodraven
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby dickyBoy on Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:24 am

Heya, I'm new to Interlopers.

I managed to make the frame and the door just as the tutorials said (this one, and the one linked above for the door itself). It seems to work fine as it opens, closes, plays the correct sounds, etc. However, when I compile the map and try to go thru the door, I can't. I hit some invisible barrier on the way through the frame.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Also, nice tutes here, this site and its tutes have really helped me to get started in mapping. Thanks all.

EDIT: I found my problem. I was using props_doors/door01_dynamic.mdl instead of the one listed. This is because I didn't check the name in the tutorial when I added it, and just figured it was a door that was the right size so it would work. Didn't realise it until the third time I checked I'd done all the steps right, either. Well, at least I've got it working now.
dickyBoy
Just Joined
Just Joined

Next

Return to Tutorials