Map Battles - General Rules

Your chance to get creative and take part in the various design challenges

Moderators: 904, Zecrah

Re: Map Battles - General Rules

Postby Habboi on Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:02 pm

Well I just see it as the tool is a feature of the source engine and well they added it for a reason, to make levels look better so I find it odd that I can't use it.

But maybe that's the challenge :S Map Battle 27 - Try and make a beautiful map without Colour Correction XD
http://www.habboi.co.uk - Habboi's Portfolio

3D Art Director working on indie title "A Hat in Time" by Gears for Breakfast.
http://hatintime.com/
Habboi
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Deathmonkey on Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:41 pm

Who said you cannot use it? Oh and Killa-Cow has my vote!!!
Portfolio: viewtopic.php?t=17498
"These things happened. They were glorious and they changed the world...and then we fucked up the end game." (Charlie Wilson)
Deathmonkey
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Jest@ on Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:48 pm

To clarify a point discussed in the map battle 26 thread, other mod's art assets are fine, although the usual caveats with using other people's work apply- get permission (or make sure it's already permitted). Where the rules say 'no other mods/software', that's to do with the platform, tools and the engine, not the assets.

On the photoshop thing: Sure, using the color correction pretty much does the same thing as photoshop does, but..
a)Not everyone has access to photoshop, whereas more or less everyone can use in-game colour correction.
b) Photoshop does a lot, lot more; it wasn't really simple colour correction & levels adjustments etc that was in mind when photoshopping was disallowed. The rule still stands.

On the (controversial) subject of using previously shown work: The rules on existing work apply equally whether you've shown it or not. I see no reason to penalise those who show their work - the flipside of which would be rewarding those who keep their WIPS secret just so they can use it in a design battle, which is absurd.

Sure, people are more likely to notice and be critical if you've shown your work before, but that's all the more reason to obey the rule as it stands:

Previous work is permitted only if the work is comprehensively revised to make it an appropriate map battle entry, to make it appropriate to the theme, and ensuring it complies with the other rules. If your previous work is likely to be controversial or you're unsure it suits the theme well enough, contact the battle administrator in advance

(note, this rule may not be on the rules list yet, but I've mentioned it before: it'll go into the official list in a minute)
Highlight to read:
It was earth all along
Jest@
Veteran
Veteran

Postby BaRRaKID on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:32 pm

Since i was the one who wrote the rules, i think i should clarify the logic behind them. I hope Jest@ agrees with these clarifications ;P

The idea behind the Photoshop rule is that your entry has to be done within the engine limits, that means that everything that is possible to do with the Source engine in terms of mapping, without having to use any extra software or a non official game/mod is allowed.

About using a previously made map, it has to be allowed do to the fact that most of the times it's hard to know if the map was made specially for the battle or not, unless it was posted somewhere in the forum, and even then the author could argue that he redone everything, or that it's a different map that looks very similar.
And if you think about it, it's not that big of a deal, the person still had to do the map, although he might not have the time constrains that are part of the challenges, it still represents his skill. And from my experience, people who "recycle" maps in the map battles, usually don't stand a chance against their competitors.
I've no sign
BaRRaKID
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Echo51 on Sun May 10, 2009 5:23 pm

- Usage of Garry’s mod to take screenshots, and to place ragdolls/npcs, or props (especially props) is forbidden. Only the map is taken in consideration, so making this won't help you much.

So using Garry's mod to noclip around the map JUST to get pics, without modifying anything isent allowed eitherway?
Source is my way of life, if i didn't have it, i'd be tearing down walls and altering my house all the time.
"NEEDS MORE SPACE"
*creates 32kx32k brush for floor*
Echo51
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby mky on Sun May 10, 2009 5:34 pm

Echo51 wrote:
- Usage of Garry’s mod to take screenshots, and to place ragdolls/npcs, or props (especially props) is forbidden. Only the map is taken in consideration, so making this won't help you much.

So using Garry's mod to noclip around the map JUST to get pics, without modifying anything isent allowed eitherway?

You can noclip in any source game. Use the command sv_cheats 1 and then type "noclip" to get it.
mky
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Echo51 on Fri May 15, 2009 2:56 pm

mky wrote:You can noclip in any source game. Use the command sv_cheats 1 and then type "noclip" to get it.

Know, but you have the camera there too, which is another command.

and im lazy :P
Source is my way of life, if i didn't have it, i'd be tearing down walls and altering my house all the time.
"NEEDS MORE SPACE"
*creates 32kx32k brush for floor*
Echo51
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby unclep4ul on Fri May 15, 2009 3:24 pm

Garrys Mod can be used to place props and then export them to Hammer.

Surley this is allowed?

I think using Garrys Mod to make changes to the scene that are not part of the .bsp is the real issue. i.e. Adding and moving props or NPCs or changing visual effects.
unclep4ul
Regular
Regular

Previous

Return to Design Section