Map Battle 31 - Gate [Template]

Your chance to get creative and take part in the various design challenges

Moderators: 904, Zecrah

Map Battle 31 - Gate [Template]

Postby Jest@ on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:45 am

While we wrap up the voting on Map Battle 30, it's time to get started on the next battle!

This time round, the theme is Gate. This one's a bit different to the usual battles, as you'll have to build from a template, provided by my lovely assistant 904. Here it is!

The template is meant as a structural base, for you to flesh out. Textures, setting, time of day and of course the surrounding architecture and landscape are up to you. You can even modify the template a bit (add some destruction, for example, or extend bits of it etc) - so long as the end result is a gateway of some kind and the overall template shape is visible, you're in!

Hopefully you guys will have some fun deciding what to do with the template and how to flesh the scene out. We can't wait to see what you get up to!

The basic rules are, as always: up to 3 screenshots from an official valve Source Engine game, posted in this thread before the deadline. Custom content is more than welcome. No photoshopping/Garry's mod etc allowed, except as the rules state. You're encouraged to post WIP shots and get feedback from the board; however, please always explicitly mark image posts as 'WIP' or 'FINAL' to speed things up; edit posts if needed.

The full rules can be found here. If you've got any questions about the theme, the rules or the battles generally, either post in this thread or PM me or 904.

The deadline for this battle will be Tuesday 27th January (ending at midnight GMT), which gives 3 weeks. For the closing time around the world, please click here

Technical notes on the template: The vmf has 2 user visgroups, 1 is called Template_mandatory (self-explanatory,this is the core template). The other is Template_extras, which contains the ground, a player start and a light_env. It is neatly textured, cut-up nicely and func_detailed for fast compilation. Important: the vmf contains an invalid skyname, please select your own sky (and adjust the light_env accordingly).
Measurements: 352 units high, 352 deep, 608 wide.

Jest@
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Map Battle 31 - Gate [Template]

Postby srredfire on Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:15 am

This should be interesting. Hopefully we won't get too many castle entries and people will think up creative ways to use this.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jangalomph on Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:29 am

Im sorta scooping up some ideas here. I will get back to yall on the 27th! :-D
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby dr_doak on Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:42 am

I'm getting some coded text for the vmf download link. or is this intentional?
dr_doak

Postby srredfire on Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:45 am

dr_doak wrote:I'm getting some coded text for the vmf download link. or is this intentional?

Right click and save it.

Vmf's themselves are just text files really, just save it instead of clicking it.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jest@ on Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:47 am

dr_doak wrote:I'm getting some coded text for the vmf download link. or is this intentional?

Actually, that is the VMF file (vmf files are just text files with a different extension). Going to file->'save as' in your browser when viewing that text mess should give you a valid file (or just right-clicking the link and going to 'save link as' )

I've switched the link to a different host anyway now, should be more straightforward.

(By the way, welcome!)
Highlight to read:
It was earth all along
Jest@
Veteran
Veteran

Postby blarg on Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:50 am

I got some great ideas for this one and have already started working on them, this time I hope my entry will look like the others.
blarg

Postby Zipfinator on Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:54 am

At the top it says "Voting for map battle 31" on the link. This is map battle 31, should say 30!

Expect to see something from me near deadline.
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jest@ on Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:08 am

Zipfinator wrote:At the top it says "Voting for map battle 31" on the link. This is map battle 31, should say 30!

:oops:
fixed
Highlight to read:
It was earth all along
Jest@
Veteran
Veteran

Postby blarg on Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:46 am

srredfire wrote:This should be interesting. Hopefully we won't get too many castle entries and people will think up creative ways to use this.

I'm doing a de_dust style map
blarg

Postby meshed on Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:17 am

Yummy. Can't wait to get started
meshed
Regular
Regular

Postby dr_doak on Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:14 am

I've already got a WIP going. How can you turn off the HUD/hold no weapon for clear screenshots in CS:S :(

I searched for this and couldn't find it, a real headache...gameui_hide hidedisplay type commands didn't work :(
dr_doak

Postby goldendeed on Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:36 am

dr_doak wrote:I've already got a WIP going. How can you turn off the HUD/hold no weapon for clear screenshots in CS:S :(

I searched for this and couldn't find it, a real headache...gameui_hide hidedisplay type commands didn't work :(

sv_cheats 1
cl_drawhud 0
crosshair 0
impulse 200

that should do the trick :D

IN OTHER NEWS:

i think this might be the first on i will join in on :-D
goldendeed
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby dr_doak on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:57 am

thank you kind sir! :smt007

I was able to make this much already because I used a few buildings from a previous map I never released. The other side of the gateway will probably be simple but 100% from scratch.
WIP:
dr_doak

Postby blarg on Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:23 am

@guyaboveme, looks like a good start

I'm not sure if I should continue this...
blarg

Next

Return to Design Section